The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A time to reflect! (Discussion) (Long read)

J.I.A.H.N

Once the Sedins retire, we could go either way. Either have a horrible season because nobody is waiting in the wings, or somehow one of these draft picks from 2013-2016 will be making a difference by then. It is a 10 year cycle from cup contender to pretender to contender again. It all counts on whether these draft picks right now turn out.

The teams that made deals today offered much more quality than the Canucks could offer. You can't win every trade when other teams have what people want more.

This....

How the hell do the OP know if they even wanted Bieksa or Hamhuis or Lack etc...

I'm damn sure JB would have pulled the trigger if he could find something better, but there has to be takers.

Some people...

^Yer talkin' like a broken down farmer who didn't employ crop-rotation...

hahaha yep... i mean if our seeds dont spring into a beautiful and rich crop then we are doomed, but I love the Sedins and want to see them develop our young sprouts into winners. What an amazing day that will be if they could carry the Sedins to the promised land, my ultimate dream for this organization which has suffered an endless drought :)

This past year and this years draft remind me of 2 kids at the playground sitting in the middle of a see-saw and going no where, it's only the kids on the ends that have ups and downs and actually doing something.

Now, Benning panics because he had no choice and trades Lack for a 3rd and a 7th............a 7th? Why even take it? If he would not have shot his mouth off, setting the bar himself for Lacks Value, he night have gotten more.

You don't go around saying all you want is a 2nd and then letting/showing you are desperate to make a trade, because if you don't someone will walk! IF Lack was only worth a 3rd, then Markstrom was worth less, and we should have let Markstrom walk or tried to get him back to the AHL, and so what if he didn't make it, the NHL deemed his value as worthless or close to it.

Either it was poor negotiating, poor planning, or there are many CDC who over value our talent (Me included). Imagine, the difference between Schnieder and Lack is 57 spots on a draft board...........that is a sh*t load of difference........a third, just disgusts me.....we sould have let Markstrom walk and Benning should have just faced the music instead of compounding the error.

I just want to puke! Lack = Vey..........Really? Lack< Baertschi? ...............Really?

The owner wants the team to be competitive. Linden and JB have planned to rebuild/re-tool on the fly and keep us in the hunt for the playoffs.

The boys are doing a pretty decent job. People need to chill out and let it all play out before crying. There's still lot's of time.

Buncha whiny babies

how many playoff win we had after 2011? wake up, why do you want to a first round exit year after year instead of seriously drafting some high end kids?

The season may have been salvaged from MGs leftovers but we have many more mediocre prospects and youth coming into our system. He's done a pretty good job so far IMO. Too early to judge really any of his decisions

We have zero chance of making the playoffs. Im a die hard fan dont get me wrong and i dont wanna sound so negative but reality is in the now la sj ana are better then us 100% and edm and calgary might be better too at least on par in the now. Future looks alot brighter in calgary edm ari. By not trading for more youth picks w.e we are stuck in mediocrity 4th best now and 4th best later. Yeah we did great last year and i kinda expected it but there is maybe a 10% chance we make the playoffs this year.......la sj dall col cal edm have all got way better. Im not a tankest but if we are not gonna make the playoffs why not have spots for thw young guys so they can experience pro hockey with real pros sedins burrows etc.

You can "plan" to re-tool on the fly and stay in the playoffs, just like you can "plan" to skip work regularly and still get salary increases. It is not likely to work.

Amen. Trying to rebuild AND make the playoffs is serving one too many masters. We had to salary-dump a cheap, serviceable 27-yo goalie today who had better numbers than the older and much costlier vet. You'd think we're banging on Stanley's door with a move like that. And the 2nd-round pick JB was adamant about getting doesn't materialize either. And yet, we're still (as of now) stuck with Bieksa and the dead money he represents. JB is trying to juggle too many balls at once.

All-in-all, pretty discouraging stuff.

And for all the benning haters its not his fault. If you wanna blame anyone blame the owners. Hes a draftist im sure if it was up to him hed tear it down and build it his way but hes not the boss and boss says i want playoffs whats he suppose to do

You're willing to trade Hamhuis for the 16th? I'd never do that. Without hammer the Canucks defense would be more atrocious than it is now. Arguably our best defender we only make that trade if we're tanking, which the ownership group isn't ready to do.

Hamhuis has one year left on his contract. Are you saying you'd rather have 1 year of him (in what's going to be non-winning season) rather than 10 years worth of someone we could draft at #16?

Kinda odd everyone is touting Bostons moves... Up against the cap and they dish off a 9th overall pick, 22 year old 6'5 212lb defenseman with offensive upside just entering the beginning of his prime for picks... Not exactly the best move I can think of. Granted it's easy for me to say they should have jettisoned older players with higher caps but I'm no GM.

Getting rid of that blowhard Lucic whom might be on the decline is a better move.

If anything Calgary should be lauded for landing such a player without changing much of their teams fortunes.

Kinda odd everyone is touting Bostons moves... Up against the cap and they dish off a 9th overall pick, 22 year old 6'5 212lb defenseman with offensive upside just entering the beginning of his prime for picks... Not exactly the best move I can think of. Granted it's easy for me to say they should have jettisoned older players with higher caps but I'm no GM.

Getting rid of that blowhard Lucic whom might be on the decline is a better move.

If anything Calgary should be lauded for landing such a player without changing much of their teams fortunes.

Don't forget that Boston also crapped the bed with the guys they chose with their 3 first round picks. They are guys they could have picked up WAY later. So the return is nowhere near what it could have been,

how many playoff win we had after 2011? wake up, why do you want to a first round exit year after year instead of seriously drafting some high end kids?

Can you say with certainty we haven't already? Can you say with certainty that tanking will get us all-stars? Sadly real life doesn't come with any guarantees.

Yeah, Burke learned from the Kessel deal not to give up that many 1st round picks...Burke this time did not handicap the franchise like he did in TO.

If Hamilton turns out to be the stud Dman, then the deal is good...If he turns out to be Phaneuff, then Meh.

We won't do a rebuild. They will fight it till they have no pieces left and by default will be forced to rebuild. (See Toronto). We are almost at that point now.

What they should do is, do what they say and retool. We could have traded Mathias at the deadline for instance, even though we were in the hunt. They could deal Vrbata and Hammer this year. Those are first round worthy trades at the deadline. Will we do it? Of course not.

I won't pass full judgement til the trade deadline as I hope Benning will manage to make a trade like he did for Baertschi and Clendening. But I do agree that Benning does not seem to be very good at anticipating the market and managing the the team's assets accordingly. He basically shot himself in the foot by creating a clog in net and refusing to explore trade options for Miller.

He's been playing it on the safe side way too much and the cost of that can be seen in the lottery ticket return for Lack and Matthias likely walking for nothing.

Hope to see him take a risk and make some space for Baertschi and Virtanen. Who knows what'll happen with Corrado and Clendening .

Archived