The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

49 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He said TEAM CANADA handpicked the best roster they saw fit for the tournament. If you take out one of the players they chose to keep for one they chose to cut, you're hypothetically weakening the roster.. regardless of performance.

TL;DR: Team Canada's Opinion > Your Opinion.

Oh see now you've got it straight to the point. I like that. But he literally did not say that. He actually said:

"
I'd rather team canada have the best opportunity to win..."

As you can see it's easy to infer meaning out of a general statement, and just because my assumption doesn't match with your assumption of the meaning doesn't mean either of us is right. Did I use hyperbole? Yes. Hypothetically Brisebois could have a greater positive impact on team Canada's performance at the WJC, unless we can somehow AB test his presence in the lineup we won't know. A few very good hockey minds chose to cut him, it happens, but I think history shows us that they are not perfect at picking the right players. From what I've read, it sounds like it was a close decision for Breezer, that would imply that the drop off in ability from him versus another player who is on the team is almost negligible no?
 So then how can we say that adding Brisebois and subtracting let's say Lauzon actually gives us a worse chance to win? Brisebois has 13 games of experience playing for team Canada on big stages, Lauzon has 0. Brisebois has scored in the NHL preseason against Brian Elliott. He also played well in the pre tournament games. I think he gives Canada a better chance to win. 

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He said TEAM CANADA handpicked the best roster they saw fit for the tournament. If you take out one of the players they chose to keep for one they chose to cut, you're hypothetically weakening the roster.. regardless of performance.

TL;DR: Team Canada's Opinion > Your Opinion.

Duncan Keith NEVER played in the WJHC.  Plenty of VERY GOOD players don't play in the WJHC.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Derp... said:

And now we hope for an injury to Canada's blueline so Brisebois gets a spot before opening night?

You want one of our players to have an injury??? Do you even have any idea how much sacrifice it requires to finally being able to play for Team Canada? My son tried out for Team BC and didn't make it - he sacrificed so much of his life to even get to that point. Please try to put yourself into the people's shoes before posting about things like this.

9 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

You want one of our players to have an injury??? Do you even have any idea how much sacrifice it requires to finally being able to play for Team Canada? My son tried out for Team BC and didn't make it - he sacrificed so much of his life to even get to that point. Please try to put yourself into the people's shoes before posting about things like this.

So Brisebois hasn't made the sacrifice necessary to make the team? Maybe he has sacrificed more than another player? If that's the case shouldn't he deserve it more? My original post was a question, not a statement.

Just so you know, I missed a childhood friends funeral to go to provincial tryouts when I was 17. I understand where you're coming from.

Edited by Derp...

1 minute ago, Derp... said:

So Brisebois hasn't made the sacrifice necessary to make the team? Maybe he has sacrificed more than another player? If that's the case shouldn't he deserve it more? My original post was a question, not a statement.

I can see you telling your children, "It sucks that you didn't make it. Let's hope that those other guys get injured so that you'll make it." Those are loser sentiments.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I can see you telling your children, "It sucks that you didn't make it. Let's hope that those other guys get injured so that you'll make it." Those are loser sentiments.

Oh okay, let's go there. I make a joke (questionable post) about hoping a Canucks prospect can get on team Canada through an injury, in the Canucks forum, and you decide you have the right to question my ability to parent? Vinny you need to keep this about Brisebois, and not about me. Take a tip from Morty here bud. 

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Oh okay, let's go there. I make a joke (questionable post) about hoping a Canucks prospect can get on team Canada through an injury, in the Canucks forum, and you decide you have the right to question my ability to parent?

Sure didn't sound like a joke the way you've been defending it and crazily doubling down in your responses. Who was questioning? I don't see any posts asking any questions. I was just restating what you doubled down on to make sure you understand what you're implying.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Didn't Evander Kane get on the Pat Quinn coached gold medal team, because of another guy getting injured?  I think he ended up playing EXTREMELY well, and was integral to our win.  It happens.  Someone is getting their chance on the US team with Boeser needing surgery.  

9 hours ago, Derp... said:

And now we hope for an injury to Canada's blueline so Brisebois gets a spot before opening night? <----

^ This is a question, and a joke. Sorry that was misunderstood, I really am. I've been stating that I think Brisebois should have made the team, after implying that our only hope of him making the team now is via injury.

You're right though, you didn't question anything. You simply stated:

"I can see you telling your children, "It sucks that you didn't make it. Let's hope that those other guys get injured so that you'll make it." Those are loser sentiments."

^ Is that what you call restating what I doubled down on? I know what I said. I don't need you to restate anything. I need you to understand what you're implying when you say "I can see you telling your children..."

I'm here to talk about Canucks Prospects. I would appreciate it if you did the same. There are enough negative people on the internet, and cyber bullying is a real problem and an easy line to cross, so let's keep the personal attacks out of here. 

12 hours ago, Derp... said:

And now we hope for an injury to Canada's blueline so Brisebois gets a spot before opening night? <----

^ This is a question, and a joke. Sorry that was misunderstood, I really am. I've been stating that I think Brisebois should have made the team, after implying that our only hope of him making the team now is via injury.

"I can see you telling your children, "It sucks that you didn't make it. Let's hope that those other guys get injured so that you'll make it." Those are loser sentiments."

^ Is that what you call restating what I doubled down on? I know what I said. I don't need you to restate anything. I need you to understand what you're implying when you say "I can see you telling your children..."

I'm here to talk about Canucks Prospects. I would appreciate it if you did the same. There are enough negative people on the internet, and cyber bullying is a real problem and an easy line to cross, so let's keep the personal attacks out of here. 

Well, perhaps I over-reacted. But in a game where players can easily suffer injuries that have potentially severe life-long impact (think about all the hockey-related suicides that were possibly due to brain damage due to concussions), I think it's important that people stay away from making light of comments about hoping others to have injuries. When you doubled down after I mentioned about the sacrifices (and they talk about concussion risks already since Atom) made by my son and others playing hockey, that shows that you didn't get it. It looks like my restating it by making you put yourself in our shoes finally did the trick.

4 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Well, perhaps I over-reacted. But in a game where players can easily suffer injuries that have potentially severe life-long impact (think about all the hockey-related suicides that were possibly due to brain damage due to concussions), I think it's important that people stay away from making light of comments about hoping others to have injuries. When you doubled down after I mentioned about the sacrifices (and they talk about concussion risks already since Atom) made by my son and others playing hockey, that shows that you didn't get it. It looks like my restating it by making you put yourself in our shoes finally did the trick.

It takes 2 to tango. I'm fine accepting my part of the blame. My initial intention was never to offend anyone who has had a hockey related injury to someone they care about, but I can see how you could think that. I'm going to let this go now, enough's been said. In the future I will not make injury (jokes). I hope you choose to think twice before posting personal attacks next time as well. 

18 hours ago, Derp... said:

Oh okay, let's go there. I make a joke (questionable post) about hoping a Canucks prospect can get on team Canada through an injury, in the Canucks forum, and you decide you have the right to question my ability to parent? Vinny you need to keep this about Brisebois, and not about me. Take a tip from Morty here bud. 

Slow clap.  Well done. Not enough pluses for this. Made my day while I sit home with my sick kid. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Derp... said:

Takes all the fun out of it when you have to explain it in detail. 

In fairness, any joke that has to be explained didn't work.  

Great comeback though, pure gold. 

10 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Takes all the fun out of it when you have to explain it in detail. 

In fairness, any joke that has to be explained didn't work.  

Great comeback though, pure gold. 

It's true, my op was a bust! 

Happy to have made you laugh though. Rick and Morty is a great show, and worth a watch for sure.

• 2 weeks later...