The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

Benning said this during the summer summit. He was targeted by the team for a pick in the 2nd round. Impossible to say if he would have been picked by Vancouver had they got a 2nd round pick because we don't know which pick it would have been or who else was available on their list. Benning's comment was clear that Brisebois was one of the guys they wanted to get with a 2nd round pick though.

Benning also cannot pronounce Guillaume's first name. Benning says GILL-EE-AM, but it is pronounced GUY-HOMME.

Either this is a lie in order to upsell Brisebois, a long-shot at best, or he is incredibad at looking at draft choices, but considering we traded a valueable 2nd rounder for Bärtchsi, I think there's more to this than either prior option.

Either this is a lie in order to upsell Brisebois, a long-shot at best, or he is incredibad at looking at draft choices, but considering we traded a valueable 2nd rounder for Bärtchsi, I think there's more to this than either prior option.

Ooooooor .... option #3 that Brisebois is someone that should have gone in the second. Time will tell obviously but people shouldn't be so stuck on ISS rankings, etc. Players can go within 10, 20, 30 spots of their projections all the time. Rating Brisebois in the 2nd doesn't say anything good or bad about the Canucks scouting YET as we have know idea what he'll become.

Why dont we see how Sven turns out, and how Guillaume develops before we completely write off JB's ability to scout talent?

Ooooooor .... option #3 that Brisebois is someone that should have gone in the second. Time will tell obviously but people shouldn't be so stuck on ISS rankings, etc. Players can go within 10, 20, 30 spots of their projections all the time. Rating Brisebois in the 2nd doesn't say anything good or bad about the Canucks scouting YET as we have know idea what he'll become.

Pfft, I don't even trust published ISS ratings now. There's nothing in his game that tells me that he was a 2nd rounder in the 2015 draft. The risk is to high and the reward too low for that ranking. So what this tells me is that the Canucks still have problems in this regard, or they're just trying to upsell the pick. Given the history with the latter regarding Rodin, pardon me if I draw the hasty conclusion this upsell job is a practical death sentence for Brisebois's NHL potential. This, while we desperately needed to upgrade our defense.

Pfft, I don't even trust published ISS ratings now. There's nothing in his game that tells me that he was a 2nd rounder in the 2015 draft. The risk is to high and the reward too low for that ranking. So what this tells me is that the Canucks still have problems in this regard, or they're just trying to upsell the pick. Given the history with the latter regarding Rodin, pardon me if I draw the hasty conclusion this upsell job is a practical death sentence for Brisebois's NHL potential. This, while we desperately needed to upgrade our defense.

Brisebois is a better skater than every dman in the 2nd round except for Dunn. I'd go as far as to say he's top 5 in the draft amongst dmen in skating. Edited by TheSnipeshow91

Brisebois is a better skater than every dman in the 2nd round except for Dunn. I'd go as far as to say he's top 5 in the draft amongst dmen in skating.

Oh dear. No.

But even if that were true there are all sorts of questions, weaknesses and risks to him that will see him require much, much more development time than the concensus 2nd rounders, and then his upside is limited. Again, long-shot at best. That's why he's a 3rd and even then that might be high. If this was our allowed 2nd round pick, then no wonder Benning was okay trading the pick.

I wouldn't harp on this so much, but when I heard that Brisebois was going to be our 2nd round pick, an intense distrust built quickly. This is based on our history with turning 2nd rounders into dust while passing on better prospects or merely trading the pick.

I know what was said about Brisebois was designed to raise the value of Lack's return, but just don't say it. It's too much. It's a joke. And it's painful.

Luckily there will be other opportunities to finally address the defense. Maybe Brisebois can come into play when this team is good again.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

Rodin has nothing to do with Brisebois. Of course every management team talks up their picks cause - surprise - they liked them enough to draft them. That alone doesn't make Brisebois a good or bad pick, his performance will.

As for his credentials as a 2nd round pick, I don't know if you are uninformed about Brisebois' game or simply don't value what he does/brings. If it is the former, I'd recommend reading up on the kid. If it's the latter, well that's your deal but plenty of people value a smooth skating, minute-eating defender with high defensive IQ and skills. Maybe doesn't wow the YouTube dangles crowd but is a very valuable part of an NHL team (potentially).

Either way your cynicism is misplaced.

• Upvote 1

Rodin has nothing to do with Brisebois. Of course every management team talks up their picks cause - surprise - they liked them enough to draft them. That alone doesn't make Brisebois a good or bad pick, his performance will.

As for his credentials as a 2nd round pick, I don't know if you are uninformed about Brisebois' game or simply don't value what he does/brings. If it is the former, I'd recommend reading up on the kid. If it's the latter, well that's your deal but plenty of people value a smooth skating, minute-eating defender with high defensive IQ and skills. Maybe doesn't wow the YouTube dangles crowd but is a very valuable part of an NHL team (potentially).

Either way your cynicism is misplaced.

Hey, with any luck the 3rd rounder pans out, but it's going to take years and years. There were plenty of 2nd rounders that would have not taken that long though, so passing on them at this stage our defense is in would be idiotic. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, enough arguing about the 'what if we had a 2nd rounder' perspective. We didn't have one. It was silly to even mention the missing 2nd round pick at the summit in the first place. When you trade an overrated 'fan favorite' like Lack, then you should just tell the insane fans are overrating him and be done with it. As an insane fan, that would be welcome from management to say.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

Hey, with any luck the 3rd rounder pans out, but it's going to take years and years. There were plenty of 2nd rounders that would have not taken that long though, so passing on them at this stage our defense is in would be idiotic. But that's just my opinion.

Any D man is going to take 3-4 years in most cases outside of a high first rounder. The difference is Brisebois' game is a relatively high probability to translate - 6'2, high end skating, thinks the game well - unlike some of the riskier D men taken in the second (Dunn for example). He may lack the offensive upside of some guys but I don't think he is riskier at all, actually quite the opposite (fairly safe pick IMO).

Remind me again why you're comparing Rodin and Brisbois? Pretty much what happened to Rodin will happen to Brisbois by your logic.

Seriously, calm down with the conclusions there. I for one was happy with the Guilliame Brisbois pick, he's got excellent skating, great shot, defensively sound, and besides his -40 on a pretty much crappy team, he put up decent numbers. He continues to show his offensive side of his game during these scrimmages. I don't get how he's a high risk "low" reward type of player. He's a 3rd round pick ffs, not our first rounder.

• Upvote 1

Why dont we see how Sven turns out, and how Guillaume develops before we completely write off JB's ability to scout talent?

I'm not a Benning fan but I'm waiting to see how guillaume turns out before I freak about the pick. Seems like an ok pick but to say we would have picked him with San joses 2nd is kinda funny.

Oh dear. No.

But even if that were true there are all sorts of questions, weaknesses and risks to him that will see him require much, much more development time than the concensus 2nd rounders, and then his upside is limited. Again, long-shot at best. That's why he's a 3rd and even then that might be high. If this was our allowed 2nd round pick, then no wonder Benning was okay trading the pick.

I wouldn't harp on this so much, but when I heard that Brisebois was going to be our 2nd round pick, an intense distrust built quickly. This is based on our history with turning 2nd rounders into dust while passing on better prospects or merely trading the pick.

I know what was said about Brisebois was designed to raise the value of Lack's return, but just don't say it. It's too much. It's a joke. And it's painful.

Luckily there will be other opportunities to finally address the defense. Maybe Brisebois can come into play when this team is good again.

You don't think high of his skating? He has an amazing stride. He has one of the smoothest strides I've seen. The technique is flawless, just needs some conditioning.

I think we are in good hands with Benning making the decisions. He is careful and hedges his bets when drafting or acquiring young prospects. By trading draft picks or young prospects for older and more developed prospects like Beartschi, Clendening and Pedan, he has greatly increased his chances of coming up with NHL players. By drafting for players with lower ceilings (but with very high character) like Petitt, and Makenze Stewart, he again, inscreases his odds of coming up with NHL players. By taking BPA and the "safe" pick (but with good ceilings) with his first few picks like Virtanen, MacCann, Demko, Boeser and Guillaume Brisebois, he is making sure we end up with good NHL players with our high picks. Finally he takes higher risk players (with high ceilings) in the middle rounds from Europe, ( where some potential dark horses fall to) like Tryamkin, Zhukenov and Jasek.

This strategy is designed to come up with as many NHL players as possible in any given draft. Combined with an emphasis on character and a good work ethic, Benning is making sure he comes up with at least 2-3 players in an average draft year (with at least one becoming a top six/top four player). Imagine what a guy like Benning (who actually is decent at talent evaluation) can do in a good to excellent draft year like he has/will had/have for his first 3 drafts here.

As I said before in another thread, I'm a sucker for smooth skating defenseman. He may or may not become a top end guy for us, but I have a good feeling he'll make it. For his development sake, I hope he gets traded to a MUCH better team. Hopefully the same one as our good friend Zhukenov.

for all of us former nhl players coaches and gms who use this foum please remember this kid is just that a kid,,,,,,,,,not unlike virtanen he was one of the youngest if not the youngest player in this years draft,,,,,so lets see how he looks two or three down the road....he will surprise a lot of us i'm thinking.....

• Upvote 1

I think we are in good hands with Benning making the decisions. He is careful and hedges his bets when drafting or acquiring young prospects. By trading draft picks or young prospects for older and more developed prospects like Beartschi, Clendening and Pedan, he has greatly increased his chances of coming up with NHL players. By drafting for players with lower ceilings (but with very high character) like Petitt, and Makenze Stewart, he again, inscreases his odds of coming up with NHL players. By taking BPA and the "safe" pick (but with good ceilings) with his first few picks like Virtanen, MacCann, Demko, Boeser and Guillaume Brisebois, he is making sure we end up with good NHL players with our high picks. Finally he takes higher risk players (with high ceilings) in the middle rounds from Europe, ( where some potential dark horses fall to) like Tryamkin, Zhukenov and Jasek.

This strategy is designed to come up with as many NHL players as possible in any given draft. Combined with an emphasis on character and a good work ethic, Benning is making sure he comes up with at least 2-3 players in an average draft year (with at least one becoming a top six/top four player). Imagine what a guy like Benning (who actually is decent at talent evaluation) can do in a good to excellent draft year like he has/will had/have for his first 3 drafts here.

There's no doubt that Benning is a hard working, humble guy with strong roots in scouting. But IMO, his ability as a "talent" evaluator is over-rated.

We all agree that Benning was the de-facto head of scouting while wearing the AGM hat during his tenure with the Bruins. Do you know how many of those players drafted while Benning was with the Bruins have played over 50 NHL games? Six. Count 'em...six. That's six in the 6 years that he was fully engaged with the Bruins.

One was a no brainer (Tyler vs. Taylor).

The others are Dougie Hamilton (178 games), Jordan Caron (159 games), Joe Colborne (160 games), Ryan Spooner (60 games) and Craig Cunningham (59 games). It can be argued that there is a decent stable of young players playing in Providence (Camara, Ferlin, Khoklachev, Subban to name a few), but until they play in the NHL, all they are are promising prospects.

You know what else five of the guys that were drafted under Benning's watch have in common? They all ply their trade in a city other than Boston.

Though I'm optimistic about what Benning brings to the table as far as talent analysis and accumulation, let's be a little realistic about the man and the circumstances that dictate whether he is as good as you make him out to be.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Upvote 1