The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hansen's qualities you listed are the very things that make him VERY VALUABLE at the TDL.  

Hansen is the ideal transition vet who should only be moved for an excessive return. I only say that because I never consider any player tradable. Other vets are more suitable for movement.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hansen is the ideal transition vet who should only be moved for an excessive return. I only say that because I never consider any player tradable. Other vets are more suitable for movement.

Is a first round pick what you would classify as "excessive" return?

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sorry what did Russell get last year? Haha Hansen worth a first at the deadline without a doubt, especially with his great Cap hit

I'd still likely lean to keeping him over a late 1st. That might change next year but not this one IMO.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'd still likely lean to keeping him over a late 1st. That might change next year but not this one IMO.

Need new young guys coming in sooner rather then later. Its not like we are even close to being cup contenders with or without Hansen. Love the way he plays but its time to get younger even if that means putting in a slightly less proven player.

36 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Need new young guys coming in sooner rather then later. Its not like we are even close to being cup contenders with or without Hansen. Love the way he plays but its time to get younger even if that means putting in a slightly less proven player.

And those young guys will need vets around. Burr will be gone after this year, opening a spot. I'd rather move Dorsett if we need to open another. 

37 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I don't think anyone would trade a high pick for Hansen because of the expansion draft, especially not a first rounder.

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

He's EXACTLY the type of vet you keep around to mentor kids. Fast, gritty, never quits, tenacious, decent amount of skill, can play up and down the line and on a good contract.

I might even extend him before I would the twins :ph34r:

I love Hansen more than any other player on the team but we gotta start cashing in our assets instead of letting them out to pasture. No reason for a team like us to Never trade any vets or UFA's for futures. It's actually unbelievable how we can pull this off year after year. 

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

And those young guys will need vets around. Burr will be gone after this year, opening a spot. I'd rather move Dorsett if we need to open another. 

Thats the thing though, we have vets. Eriksson, Sedins, Hansen, Burrows, Dorsett, Sutter as forwards. Edler, Tanev,  and you could argue Sbisa, Gudbranson on D. We can afford to trade a couple vets. Hansen, Edler, Burrows at the deadline would be a good start.

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I love Hansen more than any other player on the team but we gotta start cashing in our assets instead of letting them out to pasture. No reason for a team like us to Never trade any vets or UFA's for futures. It's actually unbelievable how we can pull this off year after year. 

And NEXT YEAR, in the final year of his contract, I'm all for it. (And then look to re-sign him in the summer. I'd re-sign him before the twins.)

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Thats the thing though, we have vets. Eriksson, Sedins, Hansen, Burrows, Dorsett, Sutter as forwards. Edler, Tanev,  and you could argue Sbisa, Gudbranson on D. We can afford to trade a couple vets. Hansen, Edler, Burrows at the deadline would be a good start.

As I said earlier, I'd rather move Dorsett to open another spot. Burr will already be gone this year. And yes I'd move him at the TDL this year (his contract year).

Edler and Tanev will likely be leaving in the next couple years too. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

And NEXT YEAR, in the final year of his contract, I'm all for it. (And then look to re-sign him in the summer. I'd re-sign him before the twins.)

Ok Jr GM. Because we sell so many players on the trade deadline. I know it's probably happened but I just don't remeber.  I wonder if we have even cashed in on a UFA since the Sedin's have been on the team. It's not happening. Another baseless claim. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Ok Jr GM. Because we sell so many players on the trade deadline. I know it's probably happened but I just don't remeber.  I wonder if we have even cashed in on a UFA since the Sedin's have been on the team. It's not happening. Another baseless claim. 

We haven't really had that many (especially of any meaningful value) to sell and most have had NTC's which tend to handcuff. We've also only really been rebulding for 2 TDL's so far, so not much opportunity either.

Past also isn't always a good predictor of the future.

Besides, I'm agreeing with you that he has value and we shoult attempt to get pieces for him NEXT TDL...so what's your beef?

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We haven't really had that many (especially of any meaningful value) to sell and most have had NTC's which tend to handcuff. We've also only really been rebulding for 2 TDL's so far, so not much opportunity either.

Past also isn't always a good predictor of the future.

Besides, I'm agreeing with you that he has value and we shoult attempt to get pieces for him NEXT TDL...so what's your beef?

A direct symptom of a rebuilding team is what we do at the trade deadline. This is why I don't classify us as a rebuilding team. The day you start to sacrifice now for the future is the day you start your rebuild. Call it whatever you want but don't call it a rebuild. What we are doing and what the Sabres, leafs and flames did should not be the same thing. Because of the simple fact that we have never sacrificed now for the future. That is the one undeniable characteristic of a rebuilding team. Management doesn't use the word rebuild and neither should you. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

A direct symptom of a rebuilding team is what we do at the trade deadline. This is why I don't classify us as a rebuilding team. The day you start to sacrifice now for the future is the day you start your rebuild. Call it whatever you want but don't call it a rebuild. What we are doing and what the Sabres, leafs and flames did should not be the same thing. Because of the simple fact that we have never sacrificed now for the future. That is the one undeniable characteristic of a rebuilding team. Management doesn't use the word rebuild and neither should you. 

Blah, blah, blah... :frantic:

Yes they do actually. And I really don't care what semantics game you want to play. The team's rebuilding.

They're simply not tanking to do so.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Blah, blah, blah... :frantic:

Yes they do actually. And I really don't care what semantics game you want to play. The team's rebuilding.

They're simply not tanking to do so.

Again the RE part of rebuilding would indicate otherwise. We are simply doing business as usual in the NHL. Every team is getting younger. Every team is trying to draft good players every team tries to sign FA's there is nothing special about the way we are doing things. By your definition every team in the league is rebuilding and to a certain extent you're accurate because the league itself is getting younger. However, Toronto and co have already taken that word. You can't compare the 2 strategies and call them the same thing. It's like you think the word rebuild is as versatile as the F word. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Again the RE part of rebuilding would indicate otherwise. We are simply doing business as usual in the NHL. Every team is getting younger. Every team is trying to draft good players every team tries to sign FA's there is nothing special about the way we are doing things. By your definition every team in the league is rebuilding and to a certain extent you're accurate because the league itself is getting younger. However, Toronto and co have already taken that word. You can't compare the 2 strategies and call them the same thing. It's like you think the word rebuild is as versatile as the F word. 

Roster turnover, youth, all vets from 2011 will be gone in the next few years.

Sounds like a rebuild.