The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

36 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm not a botchford or paterson fan, but I feel like the deeply-entrenched canucks beat reporters would have a better idea on a player than a guy on the other side of the country who literally just said that he'd seen that player a whopping 2 times. 

While they may have a better idea of players, outlandish controversy sells and you can expect what they say to be more about that than an honest evaluation.

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Botchford and Paterson have zero idea what goes on in Utica, Botchford's campaign to bring up Subban two years ago was entirely based on stats and nothing else. He said several times in his pieces that his defense "can't be that bad" because he'd never actually watched him play to be able to tell.

Similarly, he doesn't watch Brisebois so boring stats = boring player by his logic. Not everyone needs to be a Hughes or a Juolevi though. Watching the Comets last year, Brisebois was mostly positive. He's a cerebral player who has a good idea of where the puck's going next, doesn't skate himself into bad situations, has decent offensive instincts but was often paired with Wiercioch and assumed the role of hanging back. Needs to work on being more on top of his opponents in front of the net as most of his mistakes came from letting players get separation on him. Which isn't a dealbreaker since he's now dealing with grown men who are stronger, faster, and smarter than what he was used to in the Q... his sophomore season will be interesting to watch, now that he'll have a full summer of training under his belt with the knowledge of what the AHL is really like.

I don't see him getting a call-up quite yet, I think Sautner (who improved massively) and McEneny (depending on how he returns) are ahead of him, but Brisebois has the highest upside of that young group of Comets' d-men. If he keeps on track though he could easily pass Sautner this year, his rookie year was miles better by comparison.

I for one,.  And I think others here,. Knowing that you watch the Comets closely..  would cheer you on to do Sunday Night Podcasts of sorts to follow up the weeks games by Utica.

Call it “Steve’s Stone Cold Sunday Report” .. gritty slivers of ice for us to chew on and digest or get brain freeze! ;) 

always appreciate your input.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I for one,.  And I think others here,. Knowing that you watch the Comets closely..  would cheer you on to do Sunday Night Podcasts of sorts to follow up the weeks games by Utica.

Call it “Steve’s Stone Cold Sunday Report” .. gritty slivers of ice for us to chew on and digest or get brain freeze! ;) 

always appreciate your input.

haha, I'd love to contribute more, unfortunately real life (and AHL Live's pricing :P) gets in the way of being able to watch as many games as I'd like. I'm gonna try and buy some more game packages next year though, with all the young talent that'll be filtered onto the Comets roster - I have a feeling people around here are more interested in what guys like Dahlen, Lind, Juolevi and co. are doing instead of the likes of Carcone, Molino and Labate. Should be an interesting season coming up. Thanks for the kind words!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Botchford and Paterson have zero idea what goes on in Utica, Botchford's campaign to bring up Subban two years ago was entirely based on stats and nothing else. He said several times in his pieces that his defense "can't be that bad" because he'd never actually watched him play to be able to tell.

Similarly, he doesn't watch Brisebois so boring stats = boring player by his logic. Not everyone needs to be a Hughes or a Juolevi though. Watching the Comets last year, Brisebois was mostly positive. He's a cerebral player who has a good idea of where the puck's going next, doesn't skate himself into bad situations, has decent offensive instincts but was often paired with Wiercioch and assumed the role of hanging back. Needs to work on being more on top of his opponents in front of the net as most of his mistakes came from letting players get separation on him. Which isn't a dealbreaker since he's now dealing with grown men who are stronger, faster, and smarter than what he was used to in the Q... his sophomore season will be interesting to watch, now that he'll have a full summer of training under his belt with the knowledge of what the AHL is really like.

I don't see him getting a call-up quite yet, I think Sautner (who improved massively) and McEneny (depending on how he returns) are ahead of him, but Brisebois has the highest upside of that young group of Comets' d-men. If he keeps on track though he could easily pass Sautner this year, his rookie year was miles better by comparison.

Well written and I agree with your assessment of Brisebois.  Of the defensemen prospects in Utica right now Sautner is the most NHL ready and improved tremendously last season.  Brisebois and Chatfield could use another year of development before making the next step.

I'd like to see Brisebois be more assertive with carrying the puck on the offensive side and closing the gap closer to the blue line in the defensive zone (something Sautner is much better at).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Well written and I agree with your assessment of Brisebois.  Of the defensemen prospects in Utica right now Sautner is the most NHL ready and improved tremendously last season.  Brisebois and Chatfield could use another year of development before making the next step.

I'd like to see Brisebois be more assertive with carrying the puck on the offensive side and closing the gap closer to the blue line in the defensive zone (something Sautner is much better at).

What would you say about a Sautner-Brisebois pairing? Blujus was really good with Sautner in the regular season but looked completely out of sorts in the playoffs, albeit being a small sample size... I wonder if playing with a guy like Sautner who has become much more responsible would help Brisebois take more initiative on that offensive side of his game.

13 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

What would you say about a Sautner-Brisebois pairing? Blujus was really good with Sautner in the regular season but looked completely out of sorts in the playoffs, albeit being a small sample size... I wonder if playing with a guy like Sautner who has become much more responsible would help Brisebois take more initiative on that offensive side of his game.

I'd like to see Brisebois spend more time on the left side this year but they would likely need to sign a dependable right shot dman in free agency for that to happen. A Sautner - Chatfield pairing might be something to consider.  

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I'd like to see Brisebois spend more time on the left side this year but they would likely need to sign a dependable right shot dman in free agency for that to happen. A Sautner - Chatfield pairing might be something to consider.  

Was Brisebois primarily playing right side then?  Good to know he's capable at both.

19 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

haha, I'd love to contribute more, unfortunately real life (and AHL Live's pricing :P) gets in the way of being able to watch as many games as I'd like. I'm gonna try and buy some more game packages next year though, with all the young talent that'll be filtered onto the Comets roster - I have a feeling people around here are more interested in what guys like Dahlen, Lind, Juolevi and co. are doing instead of the likes of Carcone, Molino and Labate. Should be an interesting season coming up. Thanks for the kind words!

18 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

You two are my go to guys on the ground in Utica. Always read your comments with interest. Thanks in advance! It should be an exciting year in Utica as the youth arrive. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Was Brisebois primarily playing right side then?  Good to know he's capable at both.

I would say he played both and I didnt see enough games to know if one was primarily.  Any time I saw him play in junior he played left. Although I have probably only seen him play about a dozen times and always streamed and not live.  Uticahockey and stonecoldsteve can probably answer better.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Brisebois played primarily on the right side this season. I can't remember if he was on the left side at the start of the year when Subban was still here but the Comets didn't have a surplus of right shot dmen. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Thought Brisebois looked really good last night... looks like he plays a game that will translate to the NHL imho.  

Agreed, I thought he was one of the best Ds on the ice. What struck me most was just how confident and imposing he has become since last season. There is a lot to be said for Utica/AHL development. 

Sautner too when he came up, surprised me just how much he fitted in and didn't look out of place. In fact I thought he was better than Pouliot Hutton and MDZ.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Thought Brisebois looked really good last night... looks like he plays a game that will translate to the NHL imho.  

Agreed, he looked like an NHL dman in that first game.  Of course, he's still got to prove it against NHL players, but he's developing nicely

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

GB is the Rodney Dangerfield of our prospects. He gets no respect and little attention. He looked real good at the Young Stars. He will be pushing for a spot on the big club real soon me thinks. 

Hey I tell ya ! When Guillaume Brisebois was a kid all he knew was rejection !  Even his yo-yo didn't come back ! And don't get me started on his wife!

Edited by BlastPast
  • Haha 3