The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lots of talk around Juolevi, Rafferty, Chatfield and Rathbone as the rookies to take a third pairing spot.  I wouldn't count out Breezer either.

I'd like to see Breezer finally take that next step, kid has done nothing but improve in Utica. It would be nice to see we can actually develop D in Utica as well. Who was the last defender we actually developed on the farm that played more than 20 games for us?

58 minutes ago, CR7 said:

I'd like to see Breezer finally take that next step, kid has done nothing but improve in Utica. It would be nice to see we can actually develop D in Utica as well. Who was the last defender we actually developed on the farm that played more than 20 games for us?

Based on those parameters, I would say Chris Tanev and Kevin Bieksa come to mind.  Both spent time developing with the Moose before making the NHL full-time.  Bourdon was set to make the jump too after a couple years with the Moose but of course that's a terribly tragic story.  I honestly can't think of others that spent a considerable amount of time with the Moose/Comets before making it to the NHL full-time.

I think part of this is because the Canucks have been fortunate/unfortunate that the D prospects who have made the jump to the NHL did not end up spending much time on the farm. 

Quinn is, well, Quinn, so he stands apart already.  Other College guys like Stecher and Hutton spent very little time with Utica before becoming full-time NHLers.   They're at different stages of their careers at this point (I think Stecher could have a breakout season) but their time in College helped them prepare for the NHL. 

Besides them, it's a long string of D who have never cracked the Canucks' NHL roster for any significant length of time.  Corrado was the poster boy for the poor asset management crowd as he probably had one of the better shots of becoming a full-time player with the Canucks (at the time he ended up being waived).  Andrey Pedan had a somewhat promising opportunity but unfortunately that didn't take off for one reason or another.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Based on those parameters, I would say Chris Tanev and Kevin Bieksa come to mind.  Both spent time developing with the Moose before making the NHL full-time.  Bourdon was set to make the jump too after a couple years with the Moose but of course that's a terribly tragic story.  I honestly can't think of others that spent a considerable amount of time with the Moose/Comets before making it to the NHL full-time.

I think part of this is because the Canucks have been fortunate/unfortunate that the D prospects who have made the jump to the NHL did not end up spending much time on the farm. 

Quinn is, well, Quinn, so he stands apart already.  Other College guys like Stecher and Hutton spent very little time with Utica before becoming full-time NHLers.   They're at different stages of their careers at this point (I think Stecher could have a breakout season) but their time in College helped them prepare for the NHL. 

Besides them, it's a long string of D who have never cracked the Canucks' NHL roster for any significant length of time.  Corrado was the poster boy for the poor asset management crowd as he probably had one of the better shots of becoming a full-time player with the Canucks (at the time he ended up being waived).  Andrey Pedan had a somewhat promising opportunity but unfortunately that didn't take off for one reason or another.

I always considered Ben Hutton as the poster boy for lousy development. 4 games in the AHL before being thrown to the wolves. Vancouver's poor prospect depth consistently brought players to the NHL before they were ready. Brisbois, Chatfield, Sautner and of course Joulevi have all paid their dues in Utica. Rafferty, even tho older, spends a year in Utica with a pretty solid d-core to gain pro experience. More depth = better outcomes. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I always considered Ben Hutton as the poster boy for lousy development. 4 games in the AHL before being thrown to the wolves. Vancouver's poor prospect depth consistently brought players to the NHL before they were ready. Brisbois, Chatfield, Sautner and of course Joulevi have all paid their dues in Utica. Rafferty, even tho older, spends a year in Utica with a pretty solid d-core to gain pro experience. More depth = better outcomes. 

I don't think that's exactly fair to say. Some players do well in the AHL and their games just don't translate to the NHL, for whatever reason. Some people don't need much time, if at all, to jump into the NHL. In short, it's circumstantial.

Hutton made it to the NHL. He was good enough to play full time on a Canucks team, and also on the Kings. He has holes in his game, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they came as a result of fewer AHL training.

That being said, I do think you have a point about lousy development, particularly during the Gillis era where player development took a backseat. It just so happens that Hutton falls in this time period. No matter how good Gillis was as a GM, his major weak point was drafting and player development.

Edited by Dazzle

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think that's exactly fair to say. Some players do well in the AHL and their games just don't translate to the NHL, for whatever reason. Some people don't need much time, if at all, to jump into the NHL. In short, it's circumstantial.

Hutton made it to the NHL. He was good enough to play full time on a Canucks team, and also on the Kings. He has holes in his game, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they came as a result of fewer AHL training.

That being said, I do think you have a point about lousy development, particularly during the Gillis era where player development took a backseat. It just so happens that Hutton falls in this time period. No matter how good Gillis was as a GM, his major weak point was drafting and player development.

Hutton broke in with the Canucks and put up the most points in his NHL career and caps it off with a World Championship Gold. His offence kept him in a offensively challenged Canuck roster. IMHO a year in Utica would have given him a better game in the d-zone. Experience gained in the AHL is valuable in transition to the NHL. Hutton got a bit of a pass on his d-zone play early in his career and then could not be sent to Utica without clearing waivers. 

• Like 1

On July 16, 2020 at 3:18 PM, komodo0921 said:

I'm really liking the development in Brisebois' game.

Although he'll never be an offensive star, he could, quietly, become a stalwart, third pairing defender for us, maybe more so then any of our other defensive prospects.

His biggest advantage is that he can play both sides.

Yes I like his game remember he was one of the last cuts from world Jr team when he was 19 yrs old... We have so many guys knocking on the door..

#1 Juolevi , 22, 6'3" - Last 3 years have slowed his development.. 1st pro season in Finland he hurt back training before season started..

2018-19 played 25 games - 13 PTS -- 19 games then major knee injury...2019-20 missed few games at start with the same knee...

Then training camp July 2020 he turned heads I was so happy as he has so much talent, still only 22... Will be Top 4 D man soon....

2. Rafferty 25 -- Had a very good pro season in Utica # 5 or #6 guy?

3. Rathbone 21, 5'11 -- Really think Rathbone will turn heads in Vancouver very soon...Has the talent almost clone of Hughes with toughness for his size.

4. Briesbois 23, 6'3 -- Solid 200 foot game he gets forgotten, still good prospect..

5. Woo 20, 6'0 - He has a bright future but lots of good D prospects a head of him....Maybe 2-3 years-- He plays 200 foot game and very aggressive watched him at least 8 times in WHL...

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2

I see Juolevi taking that 3rd line left side, hoping that Brisebois gets that number 7 role. I could see Levi, Breezer, and Rafferty cycling out that 3rd line with Benn moving back and forth between Left and Right depending on which rookie he’s lining up with.

Rathbone will start in the AHL getting top minutes.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:58 AM, wildcam said:

Yes I like his game remember he was one of the last cuts from world Jr team when he was 19 yrs old... We have so many guys knocking on the door..

#1 Juolevi , 22, 6'3" - Last 3 years have slowed his development.. 1st pro season in Finland he hurt back training before season started..

2018-19 played 25 games - 13 PTS -- 19 games then major knee injury...2019-20 missed few games at start with the same knee...

Then training camp July 2020 he turned heads I was so happy as he has so much talent, still only 22... Will be Top 4 D man soon....

2. Rafferty 25 -- Had a very good pro season in Utica # 5 or #6 guy?

3. Rathbone 21, 5'11 -- Really think Rathbone will turn heads in Vancouver very soon...Has the talent almost clone of Hughes with toughness for his size.

4. Briesbois 23, 6'3 -- Solid 200 foot game he gets forgotten, still good prospect..

5. Woo 20, 6'0 - He has a bright future but lots of good D prospects a head of him....Maybe 2-3 years-- He plays 200 foot game and very aggressive watched him at least 8 times in WHL...

Rathbones just turning pro, with Woo, and both of them would bode well playing good minutes in Utica. 

OJ will probably we on the roster. With Tanev gone we need someone to take up some of that PK time and OJ is reportedly a great PKer. 

Rafferty/Breezer/Chatfield will compete for the 7th/8th extra spots.  Should try to move Benn and sign a better more solid veteran for the 3rd pair to play with OJ. 

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Rathbones just turning pro, with Woo, and both of them would bode well playing good minutes in Utica.

OJ will probably we on the roster. With Tanev gone we need someone to take up some of that PK time and OJ is reportedly a great PKer. 

Rafferty/Breezer/Chatfield will compete for the 7th/8th extra spots.  Should try to move Benn and sign a better more solid veteran for the 3rd pair to play with OJ. 

Wonder if we’ll be treated to a Rathbone-Woo pairing on the Comets?

Probably more likely they each get matched with a more experienced Dman (like a Brisebois—see how I brought it back the thread topic ;)), but I still think that Rathbone-Woo pairing has a chance to be something pretty special one day.

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably more likely they each get matched with a more experienced Dman (like a Brisebois—see how I brought it back the thread topic ;)), but I still think that Rathbone-Woo pairing has a chance to be something pretty special one day.

Sid, I respect your opinion around these parts especially when it comes to assessing prospects. How's Woo's defensive play?

Re Brisebois, I'm looking forward to seeing him compete for a spot on the big team :)

It's getting close to crunch time for Brisebois after  3 solid seasons in the AHL.  Just turned 23, so still young, but I'd love to see him either develop a little more offense in Utica, or make the jump to the NHL this year.  I assume he is behind Joulevi, possibly Rathbone on the LD depth chart, so not sure when or if his opportunity will come.

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

It's getting close to crunch time for Brisebois after  3 solid seasons in the AHL.  Just turned 23, so still young, but I'd love to see him either develop a little more offense in Utica, or make the jump to the NHL this year.  I assume he is behind Joulevi, possibly Rathbone on the LD depth chart, so not sure when or if his opportunity will come.

Injuries.

Also, while I think Rathbone will leapfrog him (assuming there's an AHL season) I'd bet management would prefer Rathbone play loads in Utica. Brisebois will probably be a call up/spare option ahead of him. At least for this season.

• Hydration 1

On 10/26/2020 at 4:12 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If we sign another D then for sure 2 of Breezer/Rafferty/Chatfield are with Utica. I am think Rafferty makes the cut of them. I don't know if the Canucks will roll with 7 or 8 D on the team.

Rathbone with Chatfield and Woo with Breezer could be a good starting partner for them both. If Woo and Rathbone show that they're reliable and responsibly early then maybe you can pair them together. Sautner, Elliot and Teves should be in Utica too and could be options as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...