The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

You know I used to play that in my minor hockey coaching days :lol: I called it an "I" formation much llike a football play. The kids loved it and could often really blow am opponent away with a big hit. We were primed and waiting :)

I originally saw it from a soccer coach and adapted it to coaching hockey (I didn’t know that I had seen it before, but recognized it), sent the first forechecker in angling the opponent toward the boards, leaving only one play to go forward, with the back forward looking to pick off any pass - easier in hockey because the defender is bounded on one side by the boards.  Looking back to Scotty Bowman days, it’s not that far removed from the left wing lock - always pushing the opponent to escape on the left side, then closing it off. 

Like so many inventions, not new, but new applications and variations. Nevertheless, it is effective. Some teams defeated it by reversing and going back the other way. Even then, it slowed down their escape and grants one’s own D time to pick loose players and reform.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Breezer was missed, and I think he’s earned that 3rd line left side. But yeah, OEL needs to be replaced and the depth after is…cloudy? Not really sure what to make of some of these guys…

There is some video of Peedie D playing effectively in the SHL as a 19 year old, gaining more and more responsibility and ice time. Kudryavtsev played at young stars and was the best D we had as an 18?? Year old. He was calm, cool, and collected and controlled play - which he now continues to do in junior with at least another year of junior eligibility to get even better. The key thing for me is not their obvious skills, but their calm demeanour and willingness to engage physically. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GB has been very, very solid.  He made one awful give away a week or so ago that resulted in a goal, buy that aside, he has been nearly invisible.  I think that is the best compliment you can pay a defensive #3LD.

I think he gives us options if he proves to be a long term fit on the bottom pair.  I think we will actively try to find a stay at home partner for Hronek, Graves would be my pick.

Hughes-Bear

Graves-Hronek.

If GB can stabilize a 3rd pair, I think it forces a lot of options on the OEL front after next season.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

GB has been very, very solid.  He made one awful give away a week or so ago that resulted in a goal, buy that aside, he has been nearly invisible.  I think that is the best compliment you can pay a defensive #3LD.

I think he gives us options if he proves to be a long term fit on the bottom pair.  I think we will actively try to find a stay at home partner for Hronek, Graves would be my pick.

Hughes-Bear

Graves-Hronek.

If GB can stabilize a 3rd pair, I think it forces a lot of options on the OEL front after next season.

I haven’t been able to watch a game for over 3 weeks. Is Bear playing with Hughes regularly? I just didn’t see him as. A top 4 d-man.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I haven’t been able to watch a game for over 3 weeks. Is Bear playing with Hughes regularly? I just didn’t see him as. A top 4 d-man.

Bear has been out with an injury for around the same time frame since you've been able to watch a game.

Previously he had been paired with Hughes from time to time and imo he struggles in that role. As you suggest, he seems better suited for a role where he is not expected to play big minutes against the top lines.

• 4 months later...