The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] McNally to Sharks

Isn't McNally exactly the type of player we would have liked to draft in the 2nd round?

Can we really afford to let guys like this go?

Do you know anything about his development? Do you even know anything about HIM at all?

He is planning on going to school next year, again, and there's a chance he might NOT EVEN PLAY HOCKEY AT ALL. He wasn't gonna sign with us before becoming a UFA (Aug 15. He's not going to sign because he's going to school 100% next year...), why would we keep him????

Please, do some research, takes like 5 seconds.

Maybe he wasn't going to sign here? Better to trade than lose him for nothing

It's already been noted that Benning specifically said McNally wasn't going to be signed because they felt he was behind Hutton and Subban. Nothing more to it than a case of redundancy. Hopefully we won't wish we had that redundancy down the road.

And if Baertschi pans out? He has tremendous upside as well. You think Calgary is gonna love watching him if he turns into a star? Theres a lot of what ifs at this point.

We wouldn't have been able to land Reinhart without giving up our top assets. It pays to tank for a few years and accumulate high pick after high pick.

Why are you talking about Baertschi? That was Calgary's dumb move if he does (and at least they got a 2nd for him). If Calgary jumps off a bridge, should we do it too?

McNally seemed to have less what ifs than the player we drafted with the pick we got in return. Even if he signed him for one year and then traded him after seeing his pro game we could have gotten more than the second to last pick in the draft.

Do you know anything about his development? Do you even know anything about HIM at all?

He is planning on going to school next year, again, and there's a chance he might NOT EVEN PLAY HOCKEY AT ALL. He wasn't gonna sign with us before becoming a UFA (Aug 15. He's not going to sign because he's going to school 100% next year...), why would we keep him????

I've been following him pretty closely, and he had a great comeback year. I thought he could have been very useful to us. Now, we don't even get to see him in the pros at all.

And I've seen nothing to confirm he would take a year off hockey again to finish school. He could certainly sign pro and continue his education outside of that. All I have seen confirmed is what I mentioned above, that he was redundant, and that we weren't going to sign him (vs. him not wanting to sign with us).

If you have that info, please provide sources - it takes less than 5 seconds.

Still a chance to sign him next summer. It's not costing us anything since we didn't have to offer him a contract until August 2016.

And yea, I've been following his development from the beginning. Wateched him play on one leg this past playoffs thanks. ;)

Maybe it was simply a matter of contracts, but for whatever reason they just did not seem interested. If they had been, then others could have been let go or a guy like Sautner didn't need to be signed. Perhaps they knew his intentions and it wasn't with Vancouver or even hockey at all.

Benning says Hutton and Subban are "further ahead", but along with offensive ability McNally also had decent size.

Its not even because it was a less noticeable draft, but because Benning did NOTHING that he said he was going to do.

I believe Benning claimed he was going after at least two 2nd rounders to stockpile the cupboard - he gets a 3rd and 2 7ths.

On top of this, he has now shown Bieksa that he doesn't feel he is necessary to the Canucks and we got nothing in return for that. Now Bieksa will know he's not wanted but will still be playing? Great.

I also believe that Benning wanted to get younger. Aside from drafting a couple players, he did nothing this draft to do that - in fact he didn't even trade some veterans that should have gone to make room for our young players.

So no, its not that the draft didn't pan out, its that Benning said he had a plan and he didn't follow it.

Oh crap, does the 2015-2016 regular season start tomorrow?? Wow, didn't knew they changed it from september/october to june/july...

GMJB said he would like to get 2nd's, he never said that he would for sure get it. What makes you think the Lack deal took so long? I bet GMJB tried really hard to pull it off, but the market fell after the Lehner deal.

Why are you talking about Baertschi? That was Calgary's dumb move if he does (and at least they got a 2nd for him). If Calgary jumps off a bridge, should we do it too?

You complain about what a travesty it was missing out on Kylington and Andersson and how you will hate playing them.

Well guess what... They were both available at 53..you know, the pick we traded Baertschi for. Plus they had both fallen and were two of the BPA at an organizational need. I think it's safe to say we would have had either at 53. That's why I brought Baer up. A great example of Opportunity Cost in the real world. You say you will hate playing Andersson if he pans out, Calgary had the opportunity to draft him by giving us Baertschi. And if Baertschi works out for us Calgary will hate playing him too. See how that works?

Archived