The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks-Markstrom looking at long term deal

@NEWS1130Sports:

The #Canucks are now in talks with Jacob Markstrom about a long term deal.

Odd, really odd. Hasn't showed us he's capable of being a NHLer let alone deserving of a long term deal. There's 1 of 2 possibilities here: sign him 4+ years under $2m. He either develops and you get a steal of a deal or he doesn't and you're stuck and have to dump him somewhere.

Guessing it's under 4 million because they don't want 10 million tied on goalies.

5 years @ 2 million per.

Oh God no, his NHL numbers have been atrocious. There have been plenty of netminders who have played really well in the AHL and, for whatever reason, not been able to make it work at the NHL level. There is no guarantee Markstrom won't fall into that category.

For what reason would they even think about a long term deal with Markstrom? He has yet to put up even decent numbers in the NHL.

I think until he does show that he can play as a good back up that he should be getting 1 or 2 year deals.

I wouldn't give him anything more than a 2 yr deal @ 1.5 M per season. Markstrom is still an AHLer.

You don't give players like him a long-term deal. He hasn't proven anything at the NHL level. The team has leverage, not him.

Benning has no problem giving long term deals to AHL'ers

Look at the Sbisa deal. :towel:

I really don't like this. You can't give a long term deal to a guy who hasn't proved he can play at an NHL level.

Yea... Unless it's for league minimum.

I hope by long term they mean 2 years at the absolute most

Archived