The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks-Markstrom looking at long term deal

Signed a watched up UFA goalie for one year and put Markstrom back in Utica for another year.... F YOU 'Yacob'!

LOL then we lose him for nothing??He can't go back to the minors and he has restructured his play and is ready and has proven it!!!I would give him 3 year deal at 2.25 per!

You would think after these last couple days that people wouldn't read into headlines so much.... Nobody actually knows what is going on.

But I guess people like freaking out about usually false information involving a situation they have no control over.

Canucks are hoping that Markstrom can take his success in the AHL to the NHL.

:) Looking forward to Connor McDavid, Johnny Hockey and Kopitar/Brown/Lucic/ lighting him up this season.

I don't expect Ryan Miller to stay healthy, so you will see a lot of Markstrom and possibly Joe Cannata.

Good one buddy.

Canucks will have one of the best tandems in the NHL once again.

Marky is a freaking gamer. Miller is as good as it gets.

So many Debbie downers here... Pretty sad.

Yeah because at this point we've been given every reason not to worry. :rolleyes:

Why, because we weren't in a position to make a ludacris trade and take advantage of a team that made a couple knee jerk trades? Calgary got one player. LA got one player. Oilers got better, but we have seen them fail before when nobody thought they could anymore.

We have some promising talent of our own knocking at the door right now too, so I would stop munching on the crazy pills and start thinking a little more rationally. We pretty much won the draft last year, we can't expect to do that every year.

Plus our 2nd round pick from this draft will be playing on or 2nd line next season, call me crazy but that is more exciting than picking a player you are going to have to wait 3-4 years to see have a chance to play pro.

Exactly. It would be stupid not to take advantage of this.

Worst case scenario he becomes a cheap back upand we have to sign another starter when Miller's gone.

Maybe it will be Lack :D lol I could see the cheers if somehow Eddie returned in a few years. Then he could ride us into the sunset with some championships. (if he is indeed the great 1 we believe he could be.)

Happy we got markstrom. had to make a move and with cap space saved from signing eddie in future might help us get a Lucic in FA.

Markstrom was essentially grilled in Florida trying to bail out a pretty lackluster Panthers team, since being traded to the Canucks he has worked to reinvent game and has done so in spades in the AHL, essentially being credited for the Comets' success this year (mostly during the playoffs). Consider his development and weigh it with the fact that he understands what it takes to play in the NHL and you have a talented goalie with a lot of ambition and valuable experience with a higher ceiling than Lack that you can groom into a starter during Miller's tenure here, as opposed to allotting far too much cap to goaltending, a problem the Canucks have dealt with all too recently, and one that Benning is probably adamant about not repeating.

The decision to trade Lack and extend Markstrom then seems pretty obvious.

Vancouver is afraid of young talent. Wouldnt suprise me in the least to see Horvat traded before he hits his prime

I puked a bit in my mouth when I read the title of this thread. I couldn't agree more with the thread above. Start a youth movement and we either sink or swim. Nothing is worse than being mediocre.

I'm thinking the professional coaching staff that has been working with Marks probably know a whole lot more about his potential than fans on this board. I suspect that they may even think he will be a better goalie than Lack. He is also 3yrs younger than Lack..

It's time for Marks to step up and join the big game. He will be tested gently and gradually get more games as he gets his mojo going.

Why can't people wait and see how things pan out? Why get so :frantic: over some 'report'.

Why are people so negative?Benning is doing everything possible to turn around what Gillis has done which is handcuff the team for years.Markstrom is a good goalie and we will see how well he does in the NHL so if he turn into another great starter what then ???

Good one buddy.

Canucks will have one of the best tandems in the NHL once again.

Marky is a freaking gamer. Miller is as good as it gets.

So many Debbie downers here... Pretty sad.

You make me laugh apollo. Miller is not better than Price, Crawford, Schneider, Rinne and the like. His underlying numbers aren't very good. And Markstrom is a very good AHL goalie whose only game last year in the NHL saw him get pulled after letting in three goals in as many shots. Yeah what a gamer!!

That's called being r-e-a-l-i-s-t-i-c.

Markstrom has proven he can let in 3 goals on 4 shots in the NHL.....AHL success means squat

Yep. Markstrom might have a lovely 15-year career in the AHL and break all kinds of records....but be a complete NHL flop.

At least Lack was a serviceable NHL goalie, something Markstrom has a long way to go to be. Lack was a fine insurance policy, Markstrom is a pile of question marks.

Archived