The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am a BT fan and his numbers are encouraging but in context, no more so than the Canucks fifth round pick from a few years back.   I like the way BT plays the game and he would make a good addition to whatever organization drafts him (including Vancouver) but I only warn that his offensive stats are not that great for a freshman in NCAA - they are more than good but do not speak to an outstanding offensive talent.   Can he grow - of course he can but translate those numbers to CHL (there are formula for those who like doing such fantasy) and it isn't blowing anyone away.    Moreover, no one would say NCAA is at level of most upper tier European pro leagues (let alone, say, SEL) and if he was getting half that rate of scoring in SEL at his age, would people still rave about him as a potential second overall pick?

I don't understand what you mean there. 

I don't think even the Tkachuk supporters are saying he'll be a major point producer. The most appealing factor is his ability to create space for other players to make plays (Mittlestadt, Pettersson types) and finish them off around the net. I don't know how learning to play that style of game against bigger, stronger competition at a younger age than normal while putting up good numbers is a bad thing. 

I never said that the NCAA is the highest level of competition, more that it's normally the highest level a North American can play at for their post-draft development. Tkachuk is starting in his draft year. Obviously leagues like the AHL, SEL, KHL, etc. are all higher level leagues, but most draft eligible players don't play there, unless they're European (even that is pretty rare). Not even Pettersson played in the SEL last year and look at the tremendous season he's having. 

This is my last post on this topic though. Gaudette just came up with a huge performance in one of the biggest games of his career. That makes me really happy. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So you are saying people born early in a year, like January, have no hope of being a professional player?   

No I never said that. What I am saying though is that there is both a higher percentage of players  (D-men in this case) who go on to have successful careers.

Basically if you took 100 players born Sept 15th-February and 100 players born March - Sept 15th, there will be a statistically significant difference in both numbers of players who play in the NHL AND players who would be deemed 1st line pairings. Of course this acts in reverse, D-men who are drafted with early birthdays have a worse chance of playing in the NHL AND have a worse chance of being good players. In fact most of the successful D-men with early birthdays have a January-February birthday....so once again even that four months of development seem to have an effect. Of course there are exceptions, especially when you are really talented but the numbers do not lie.

That is also why I am completely against drafting Bouchard and Hughes (early birthdate).  I think Bouchard will be a serviceable D-man but I just don't think he will be a #1 D-man.

Edited by TGokou
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

If Gaudette and EP make the team, plus the sedins return are eriksson and Gagner on the team?

And that's the problem -- roster spots.  And also why more and more I think they aren't re-signed.  TL also talked about again dipping into the FA pool this summer.

Losing the Sedins and adding EP/Gaudette is going to make a huge difference in how this team plays, just the speed and pace alone.

9 hours ago, R3aL said:

If Gaudette and EP make the team, plus the sedins return are eriksson and Gagner on the team?

Baer - horvat - boeser

sedin - sedin - pettersson

Eriksson - sutter - gagner

grandlund - gaudette - Virtanen 

Gaunce?

goldobin?

boucher? 

Dowd?

archibald? 

I imagine that 1 of those 5 will be carried as an extra and the others in Utica. The only exception is Goldobin will probably get claimed if we try to send him to Utica, so I can see them trying to make room on the roster for him (maybe trade grandlund?)

edit: also just realized that boucher, dowd, and archibald are all ufa’s after this year. We probably won’t see all of them back on the team

Edited by Canadian Clay

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

Baer - horvat - boeser

Gaunce?

goldobin?

boucher? 

Dowd?

archibald? 

I imagine that 1 of those 5 will be carried as an extra and the others in Utica. The only exception is Goldobin will probably get claimed if we try to send him to Utica, so I can see them trying to make room on the roster for him (maybe trade grandlund?)

edit: also just realized that boucher, dowd, and archibald are all ufa’s after this year. We probably won’t see all of them back on the team

Bummer.. Archie and Boucher has been solid. Dowd seem like a guy that could really challenge someone for a roster spot.

I love Goldy but I agree with u on that he will get claimed if we retain Sedins as well as Erikss to push Goldy out of the roster again. 

Also, I am not sure if Pettersson will be with the nux next season. There is only half year left for him to bulk up 15~20 lbs. 

And I am not sure if that's an ideal scenario for EP to enter NHL on a weight that will be unnatural for him. Starting in Utica won't be a bad choice for his development.

I also feel like Gagner (and maybe Granny, too...) will be in and out of the lineup while giving youngsters (Gaudette, Goldy and Gaunce) some NHL ice time. 

If Gaudette could pan out to be an early adaptor like Boeser, I cannot wish for more.

But realistically speaking, it will take him some games to adjust and he will be in and out of the lineup for earlier part of the rookie season.

He will turn out to be a good NHLer in the end tho I have zero doubt.

Virtanen also won't play full 82 games. Out of the players listed in the lineup, he seems like the most "streaky", "expendable" player.

He could still use some more time to learn the game from the press box.... Hope he takes another big step forward next yr.

What do you think are realistic expectations for Gaudette next year?

I know it's high expectations but I want him to be able to hit 35 points next year. I see 20 goals 15 assists to be achievable for him. I am putting these expectations on him because he has that motor that the coach will love and will be willing to put him in positions to succeed. In his prime I see him as a consistent 45-55 point guy. 

25 minutes ago, TGokou said:

What do you think are realistic expectations for Gaudette next year?

I know it's high expectations but I want him to be able to hit 35 points next year. I see 20 goals 15 assists to be achievable for him. I am putting these expectations on him because he has that motor that the coach will love and will be willing to put him in positions to succeed. In his prime I see him as a consistent 45-55 point guy. 

haha Id be happy if he had 10 goals 5 assists but plays well defensively. We are talking about a guy that is most likely going to be our 3C. Don't let Boesers amazing rookie play cause to high of expectations for Gaudette.

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha Id be happy if he had 10 goals 5 assists but plays well defensively. We are talking about a guy that is most likely going to be our 3C. Don't let Boesers amazing rookie play cause to high of expectations for Gaudette.

Gaudette will put up 40 + points next season.  He's an amazing player, and physically/emotionally mature.  He will be used in an offensive role, because Sutter will continue as the shut-down and dzone (right shot) face-off guy.  I see: 20 goals and 20 assists.

2 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Baer - horvat - boeser

Gaunce?

goldobin?

boucher? 

Dowd?

archibald? 

Personally Id put Pettersson in Utica to work of his strength, pro speed and develop as centre. If the Sedins come back then Id trade Baertschi this deadline or offseason for a 1st round pick or top d prospect. Id also trade Gagner if you can. Id then try to resign Vanek or another UFA for a year.

Virtanen-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-Sutter-Eriksson

Boucher-Gaunce-UFA/Vanek

Archibald-Gaudette-Granlund

On defence Id trade Guddy(prefer) or Tanev as well as Hutton this deadline. Then trade Del Zotto this offseason and sign a RD preferably cheap and short deal.

Edler-Stetcher

Juolevi-Tanev

Holm/McEneny-UFA/Biega/Pouliot

Pouliot

In Goal Id trade Nilsson this deadline or offseason and run Marky as starter until Demko takes over.

Marky

Demko

53 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Personally Id put Pettersson in Utica to work of his strength, pro speed and develop as centre. If the Sedins come back then Id trade Baertschi this deadline or offseason for a 1st round pick or top d prospect. Id also trade Gagner if you can. Id then try to resign Vanek or another UFA for a year.

Virtanen-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-Sutter-Eriksson

Boucher-Gaunce-UFA/Vanek

Archibald-Gaudette-Granlund

On defence Id trade Guddy(prefer) or Tanev as well as Hutton this deadline. Then trade Del Zotto this offseason and sign a RD preferably cheap and short deal.

Edler-Stetcher

Juolevi-Tanev

Holm/McEneny-UFA/Biega/Pouliot

Pouliot

In Goal Id trade Nilsson this deadline or offseason and run Marky as starter until Demko takes over.

Marky

Demko

2 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Bummer.. Archie and Boucher has been solid. Dowd seem like a guy that could really challenge someone for a roster spot.

I love Goldy but I agree with u on that he will get claimed if we retain Sedins as well as Erikss to push Goldy out of the roster again. 

Also, I am not sure if Pettersson will be with the nux next season. There is only half year left for him to bulk up 15~20 lbs. 

And I am not sure if that's an ideal scenario for EP to enter NHL on a weight that will be unnatural for him. Starting in Utica won't be a bad choice for his development.

I also feel like Gagner (and maybe Granny, too...) will be in and out of the lineup while giving youngsters (Gaudette, Goldy and Gaunce) some NHL ice time. 

If Gaudette could pan out to be an early adaptor like Boeser, I cannot wish for more.

But realistically speaking, it will take him some games to adjust and he will be in and out of the lineup for earlier part of the rookie season.

He will turn out to be a good NHLer in the end tho I have zero doubt.

Virtanen also won't play full 82 games. Out of the players listed in the lineup, he seems like the most "streaky", "expendable" player.

He could still use some more time to learn the game from the press box.... Hope he takes another big step forward next yr.

These are good points. I was just making a lineup under the hypothetical assumption that both Gaudette and pettersson make the team and that the Sedins return. Any of these three things could end up not happening

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Gaudette will put up 40 + points next season.  He's an amazing player, and physically/emotionally mature.  He will be used in an offensive role, because Sutter will continue as the shut-down and dzone (right shot) face-off guy.  I see: 20 goals and 20 assists.

Only 20 goals?!?!? You see this guy in the bean pot???? He will challenge boeser for the most goals ever by a Canucks rookie. 40+! This is a CANUCKS forum after all, show some positivity!

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And that's the problem -- roster spots.  And also why more and more I think they aren't re-signed.  TL also talked about again dipping into the FA pool this summer.

Losing the Sedins and adding EP/Gaudette is going to make a huge difference in how this team plays, just the speed and pace alone.

Imagine how much 'Younger, faster and harder to play against' we'd be by replacing the twins and Vanek with Kane, Gaudette and one of Pettersson/Goldobin/Dahlen...

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Imagine how much 'Younger, faster and harder to play against' we'd be by replacing the twins and Vanek with Kane, Gaudette and one of Pettersson/Goldobin/Dahlen...

Exactly the point, and perhaps MacEwen up at some point as well, or just Archie as placeholder.  Add Juolevi on the back end and maybe by some stroke of fortune Dahlin, and this team would be unrecognizable.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I can't help but think that Green fully sees this, and Benning likely recognizes it as well.  They've shown to be very conservative in the transition but at some point the tether has to be cut.  When it is, it will be that definitive point of flipping the switch.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Exactly the point, and perhaps MacEwen up at some point as well, or just Archie as placeholder.  Add Juolevi on the back end and maybe by some stroke of fortune Dahlin, and this team would be unrecognizable.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I can't help but think that Green fully sees this, and Benning likely recognizes it as well.  They've shown to be very conservative in the transition but at some point the tether has to be cut.  When it is, it will be that definitive point of flipping the switch.

I wouldn't mind re-signing Archie as our F version of Biega / 13th F next year at all. And yeah Mac could see a bottom 6 call up, OJ call ups for injuries/moving out vets etc. The change will happen faster than all the whiners are grasping :lol: