The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

50 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup. At his age, the 9 games thing isn’t a factor. If he joins the team this season, that year gets burned off the ELC.

Agreed.

There have been a lot of posters who have been concerned that this will also mandate that he would have to be protected in the event there is an expansion draft in 2020 but I don't subscribe to that theory. If I am reading the CBA correctly, as outlined below, playing less than 10 games will not count as as a year of professional experience for Gaudette. This would suggest that next year would be his 1st professional season and 2019-20 would just be his 2nd professional season.

"A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season."

The expansion draft rules referred to the CBA for 2nd year pro and under definition as outlined below.

"Only players with more than two years of professional experience — NHL or AHL as defined in the collective bargaining agreement — were included in the draft."

Curious as to whether or not you would agree with my interpretation of the above. IE: will Gaudette's playing this year impact the Canucks requirement to protect him in a 2020 expansion draft.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Agreed.

There have been a lot of posters who have been concerned that this will also mandate that he would have to be protected in the event there is an expansion draft in 2020 but I don't subscribe to that theory. If I am reading the CBA correctly, as outlined below, playing less than 10 games will not count as as a year of professional experience for Gaudette. This would suggest that next year would be his 1st professional season and 2019-20 would just be his 2nd professional season.

"A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season."

The expansion draft rules referred to the CBA for 2nd year pro and under definition as outlined below.

"Only players with more than two years of professional experience — NHL or AHL as defined in the collective bargaining agreement — were included in the draft."

Curious as to whether or not you would agree with my interpretation of the above. IE: will Gaudette's playing this year impact the Canucks requirement to protect him in a 2020 expansion draft.

I had not thought about the 10 game rule, but wouldn't Gaudette surpass it if he played for us and then went to Utica anyways?

If <10 is the limit then sure, sign him up  to finish the season then send him to Utica to be with them for the playoff run.  May only get the remaining two games with them but the experience would be valuable.  Unlike others like Juolevi, it's not like he needs to hit the gym asap.

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I had not thought about the 10 game rule, but wouldn't Gaudette surpass it if he played for us and then went to Utica anyways?

He can't play for Utica this season if he signs a contract with the Canucks. The only Canucks that could go down to Utica for the playoffs had to have been "paper transacted" down at the trade deadline or were on the Utica roster at that time.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

He can't play for Utica this season if he signs a contract with the Canucks. The only Canucks that could go down to Utica for the playoffs had to have been "paper transacted" down at the trade deadline or were on the Utica roster at that time.

hmm so its NHL or the AHL.  One or the other.  He along with Lind and Gadjo might be able to help propel Utica into the postseason with Demko's steller play.

Would imagine it would be disappointing if he went to Utica and failed to make the playoffs.

Edited by Rush17
1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

hmm so its NHL or the AHL.  One or the other.  He along with Lind and Gadjo might be able to help propel Utica into the postseason with Demko's steller play.

Would imagine it would be disappointing if he went to Utica and failed to make the playoffs.

Gaudette would have to sign a Utica contract and would not burn a year off his ELC so I really doubt that would be an option he wants to pursue.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup. At his age, the 9 games thing isn’t a factor. If he joins the team this season, that year gets burned off the ELC.

thats a big bargaining chip, which I think Jim will (and imo should) put on the table. 

Just now, Squamfan said:

he's not going to sign with us, he gonna pull a Schultz and sign with Boston

That means he goes back for another year of college. It doesn't seem realstic to me

47 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think you’ve got it right.

If Gaudette signs a 2017-18 contract, there are not enough NHL games remaining this season for him to play the 10 required to count the 2017-18 season as a “professional year” so 2018-19 would be his first professional year for expansion purposes.

Further, if he were to go to Utica this season, he’d need to be on an ATO and sign his ELC effective 2018-19 (otherwise he’s ineligible to play in the AHL). And any AHL games he played in 2017-18, even if 10 or more, wouldn’t actually count as a “professional year” because he wouldn’t technically be signed to an SPC during the season he played.

So for expansion purposes, next season will be his first professional year.

As for his ELC, if he signs this season and plays even a single game for Vancouver in 2017-18, that would count as a year of his contract (ie: it would burn a year off his deal), so he’s start 2018-19 with 2 years remaining on the deal.

EDIT: In fact, I don’t think he even needs to play this season to burn a year off his deal. He’d probably just need to be signed and added to the active roster.

But is burning a year of ELC the same as having played a year in a professional league?