The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

So much to like about Gaudette. Picked up right where he left off last year and has only improved on his production. And he brings a high scoring rate while also playing a hardworking, defensively sound, two-way game and also a good amount of grit, energy, and edge. High compete level and work rate. And that shot volume.

This isn't some soft, floater type who's putting up points but doing nothing much else on the ice.

Put together the production with all the "intangibles" and you have a guy who projects very well to make a successful pro transition and eventually develop into an NHL level player.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

I'm sure others can come up with better comparables but in terms of his game, he reads as above average at everything except his offensive IQ which is very high.  Above average is not a bad thing, in fact there isn't a crack anywhere in his game, but he is not the fastest skater, hardest shooter or slickest passer.  He just does everything at a high level and seems to have a top-down view of the ice at all times.  He's always opening up new shooting and passing lanes for himself and his teammates using his stickhandling and speed.  He's a tenacious forechecker and creates turnovers because of it but also translates the opposition's mistakes into goals because of his vision.  If there is a play to be made, he'll make it and if there isn't one, he can protect the puck, skate and stickhandle until there is one.

He also has good finish (again, above average in the shooting department) and has surprisingly good hands in tight which allows him to get shots off or get a tip while battling in front of the net.  It's rare to see a guy who can be both the net front presence on the PP and the triggerman for a cross ice one timer but he does both as well as playing PK.  Simply put, Northeastern would have been nowhere near the Frozen Four without Gaudette.

What you're seeing this year with his second big jump in production in his college career is that he finally has another player able to hang with him in terms of offensive creativity: Dylan Sikura.  Both can play keep away, score off the transition and the Huskies' offense runs through the duo.  Sadly they are all NU has this year so their record is not great.  The good news for Canucks fans is that this hasn't hurt Gaudette's game and actually suggests he's made a greater jump in his game than even his gaudy points total implies.

Sounds like a Ryan Kesler to me. 

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

who does Gaudette play like style wise? and what is his possible ceiling and floor?

I've read Chris Higgins is a comparable in playing style. The high end of his ceiling for players who have produced similar numbers to him at USHL and NCAA is 50 points per 82 games. The Floor being a career AHLer.

• Upvote 1

For me it's Stepan

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19040

Not only do they have similar college numbers so far, but both play the same position, around the same size, same handedness. Both are 2 way centers with good hands and vision. Both can skate well, have good shots. I couldn't find any good highlights of Stepan in college, but his NHL production is right around where Adam's cohort is. I don't think he will be as productive as Stepan, but in terms of playing style, I think they are pretty close. 

Gaudette:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=203361

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Derp... said:

For me it's Stepan

Not only do they have similar college numbers so far, but both play the same position, around the same size, same handedness. Both are 2 way centers with good hands and vision. Both can skate well, have good shots. I couldn't find any good highlights of Stepan in college, but his NHL production is right around where Adam's cohort is. I don't think he will be as productive as Stepan, but in terms of playing style, I think they are pretty close. 

Gaudette:

That would be fantastic If we can get a Stepan type player out of Gaudette. If lockwood could come out as a high energy Hansen type player then we've got the type of players in the system that help a team win games. 

13 hours ago, Derp... said:

For me it's Stepan

Gaudette:

Stepan is a great call on play style.  I certainly wouldn't say he's Ryan Kesler.  Not nearly physical, north-south or antagonistic enough but then I never liked the last 2 qualities of Kesler.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Is it at all possible for him to be that #1 centre we were looking for? He reminds me of a Johnny Toews centre. Puts up points, while being a two way centre. 

A guy can dream: 

Centres: Patrick, Gaudette, Horvat, Chaput, Gaunce Imagine if they all pan out.

17 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Is it at all possible for him to be that #1 centre we were looking for? He reminds me of a Johnny Toews centre. Puts up points, while being a two way centre. 

A guy can dream: 

Centres: Patrick, Gaudette, Horvat, Chaput, Gaunce Imagine if they all pan out.

No he's not a first line center. Ceiling is likely a solid 3rd line two way center along the lines of a Bolland.

And we won't be drafting Patrick, so people should get that idea out of their heads unless they wanna be disappointed.

Edited by DeNiro