The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, he traded one full scholarship for another one.     Seems like a good kid who needs to make some decisions.   Perhaps one of those decisions will be to sign with Vancouver Canucks.   Perhaps he will not.   World will continue to spin won't it?

I have never seen that must angst from you over a fifth round pick.   Is this kid personally attached to you in some manner?    

True, I let the accusation that I was being negative get me off center. I know I was just putting possibilities out there that are counter to what was stated by management at first and then amended at Benning's signing. Ever since Vesey it is a possibility, after that comes why would he do it?

He is probably a 3rd line center, good depth and skilled for playoffs, he will make the team if he wants.

Again it could be taken negatively but the Seattle expansion and the CBA. One could affect the other. Bettman has a 100% record of a labour dispute and this time around the NHLPA appears to have more leadership and grievances. The CBA ends or we will know in September 2019 for the 2020 season. I don't think there would be expansion if there is a labour problem, I think it would be the following year which would affect the Canucks massively with regards to protecting players if numerous of them start next year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rush17 said:

If Chicago likes what they saw in Sikura you can bet we landed ourselves a good player in Gaudette.  Chicago is all about finding cheap contracts wether elc or euro free agents. They are hard against the cap. You can bet we got the better of the two prospects too which is amazing.

Sikura kinda reminds me Patrick Sharp. Who knows, but Sikura is a real solid player.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm wondering if he wants to wait until tomorrow. So he can win the hobby baker and sign his first nhl contract all in one exciting day!

It is only the fan voting that will be over.

The Hobey Hat Trick (three finalists) will be announced on March 29, 2018 and the Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced on Friday, April 6, 2018 from St. Paul, Minn. during the NCAA Frozen Four. 

The annual fan ballot contribution to help determine the winner of the 2018 Hobey Baker Award is now available online.

College hockey fans can cast their vote by going to www.voteforhobey.com. Follow the prompts to make your selection from the group of 74 players representing 46 NCAA Division I schools.

This first phase of fan balloting will run now through March 4, 2018. Phase two of fan balloting will begin on March 14 from the list of Top Ten Hobey Baker finalists and will close March 25.

The fans’ vote accounts for a full one percent of the total ballot in each phase in selecting this year’s award recipient.

Award criteria include candidates exhibiting the exceptional character traits of the award’s namesake, Hobey Baker. A legendary American hero, Baker was a World War I fighter pilot and was known as America’s greatest amateur athlete in his day, excelling at hockey and football at Princeton.

Award candidates must demonstrate strength of character both on and off the ice, contribute to the integrity of his team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and sportsmanship.

Key Hobey Baker announcement dates for 2018 include:
• Top Ten list of candidates: March 14
• Hobey Hat Trick of three finalists: March 29
• Hobey Baker Award announcement: April 6

The 2018 Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced from a field of three Hobey Hat Trick finalists on Friday, April 6, 2018, during the NCAA Frozen Four championship in St. Paul, Minn. The award ceremony will be held at the Roy Wilkens Auditorium in the St. Paul RiverCentre and will be broadcast nationally on the NHL Network.

http://www.uscho.com/2018/01/16/hobey-baker-award-fan-balloting-now-open-74-ncaa-division-players/

Edited by Rick Blight

32 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

True, I let the accusation that I was being negative get me off center. I know I was just putting possibilities out there that are counter to what was stated by management at first and then amended at Benning's signing. Ever since Vesey it is a possibility, after that comes why would he do it?

He is probably a 3rd line center, good depth and skilled for playoffs, he will make the team if he wants.

Again it could be taken negatively but the Seattle expansion and the CBA. One could affect the other. Bettman has a 100% record of a labour dispute and this time around the NHLPA appears to have more leadership and grievances. The CBA ends or we will know in September 2019 for the 2020 season. I don't think there would be expansion if there is a labour problem, I think it would be the following year which would affect the Canucks massively with regards to protecting players if numerous of them start next year.

I agree with you - it is a legimate consideration given likely CBA impasse looming.

i hope he can play NHL at that level - amazing stretch for a fifth rounder but shows what late bloomers can do and why drafting is not an exact science.

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

He has already mentioned that he will sign with the Canucks because of what they saw in him, and what they're doing for his development (loyalty). We can expect something done in the coming week or so IMHO.

That is what he said...why not just believe him...it is still better if he signs a PTO with Utica instead of signing with us ...then we don't burn a year of his ELC and he is protected for 2020...

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That is what he said...why not just believe him...it is still better if he signs a PTO with Utica instead of signing with us ...then we don't burn a year of his ELC and he is protected for 2020...

I believe that would still count as a year of professional hockey played even though he’s not signed to canucks. This would then mean he would need to be protected at the expansion draft.

however, if he played this year with the canucks he would only burn a year off ELC but not earn a year played professionally as he would need more than 10 games

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Dylan Sikura signed with the Blackhawks an hour ago. Gaudette likely to follow up

That's too bad, what him and Adam had going was something special. Would have loved to have gotten him somehow, good for him though.

26 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I believe that would still count as a year of professional hockey played even though he’s not signed to canucks. This would then mean he would need to be protected at the expansion draft.

however, if he played this year with the canucks he would only burn a year off ELC but not earn a year played professionally as he would need more than 10 games

I believe the terms for “professional years” when it comes to expansion stipulate the the pro games played must be from seasons when the player is signed to an “SPC” (standard player contract).

A tryout is not an SPC, so if Gaudette were to sign his entry level deal for next season, and go on an ATO with Utica this season, any professional games he amassed this season would not count against his “professional years” totals when it comes to expansion.

And since the only way he can go to Utica is if he delays his contract until next season and signs an AHL tryout for this season, then there’s basically no way he can hit the requirements for a “professional year” in 2017-18. Even if he plays 10+ games for the Comets, if he’s not signed under an SPC for that season, it’s not considered a preofessional year.

A player on an ATO remains an amateur (thus the name “amateur try out”). They can play in a pro league but maintain their amateur status. Any games played under an ATO would not be considered part of a professional year.

Worth noting that Utica currently has Quinnipiac grad Tanner MacMaster on an ATO. He’s played 4 games and has 3 points for the Comets. He’s yet to sign a professional contract (or hadn’t last time I checked).

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Unless we land Dahlin and get fast tracked closer to contender this year. I kinda think it might be better in this case to burn a year off. Gives him 2 years to earn the next contract as opposed to 3. Who knows how good he really is but let’s say he is the real deal. That third year could be the difference in a 3 million dollar second contract or 5. Assuming Wanless is correct about expansion eligibility, I think it has the potential to help us more than anything. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, thad said:

Unless we land Dahlin and get fast tracked closer to contender this year. I kinda think it might be better in this case to burn a year off. Gives him 2 years to earn the next contract as opposed to 3. Who knows how good he really is but let’s say he is the real deal. That third year could be the difference in a 3 million dollar second contract or 5. Assuming Wanless is correct about expansion eligibility, I think it has the potential to help us more than anything. 

If we don’t give him the opportunity to burn the extra year, what’s his incentive to sign with us, and not play his senior year in college and become a UFA?  

I say he’s signed on Monday, and playing games on our home stand.  He benefits and we sell more seats.

• Cheers 1