The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

11 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

If boeser is in a comets jersey at the start of next season I will change my username to 'IReallyLoveMen10'.

Tongue in cheek for sure but I truly believe a nice 10 game start in Utica or a full season to get used to the bigs and develop would be best for Boeser.

Surely I'm not the only one here that thinks that

Something tells me you look forward to that sig

2 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Tongue in cheek for sure but I truly believe a nice 10 game start in Utica or a full season to get used to the bigs and develop would be best for Boeser.

Surely I'm not the only one here that thinks that

Something tells me you look forward to that sig

Would a Utica stint hurt him long term? Probably not. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the Canucks out of camp/spends VERY little time in Utica.

He could have probably made the team this year let alone with another year experience and another summer of training under his belt. At best, he maybe gets some playoff games in Utica (if they manage to make them) IMO.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Would a Utica stint hurt him long term? Probably not. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the Canucks out of camp/spends VERY little time in Utica.

He could have probably made the team this year let alone with another year experience and another summer of training under his belt. At best, he maybe gets some playoff games in Utica (if they manage to make them) IMO.

You could be right. All players are wired differently and seem to either need AHL or go straight to the show. 

Boeser himself conceded that he needed to get stronger and develop more and chose another year of College and also to further his edjumacations.

Curious to "see" how much stronger he did get. 

It surely wouldn't hurt Brock to spend an entire year in Utica. I don't see how it would hurt him unless he had an ego to bruise which I don't see. Who knows, maybe North Dakota gets bounced earlier and he signs and plays in Utica and that's all he needs.

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

It surely wouldn't hurt Brock to spend an entire year in Utica. I don't see how it would hurt him unless he had an ego to bruise which I don't see. Who knows, maybe North Dakota gets bounced earlier and he signs and plays in Utica and that's all he needs.

Probably not, but then that affects the pace of the rebuild.  Are we planning to be without Burrows next year and bring in another prospect, or do we sign him for another year and let Brock have a season in Utica to develop?  Do we keep all our current D, and even if losing one in expansion we still keep Juolevi in junior?  Do we likewise keep Gaudette for another year in college instead of getting him into pro hockey, considering the anticipated large influx heading that way next season?

Brock is likely the most pro-ready prospect we have now, but perhaps management is going to continue with a more measured approach at turning the roster over, especially now with it down to just a half-dozen remaining from when they took over in 2014.  A lot will likely depend how the Canucks do in the second half as to whether they feel comfortable in moving any more vets -- do Bo and Sven have a lot more still to learn from Burrows, or are they ready to graduate to full-time leaders and drivers?  Would Stecher be better with another year of Edler and Hutton with a Tanev or Gudbranson, or are they also ready to step up?

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Probably not, but then that affects the pace of the rebuild.  Are we planning to be without Burrows next year and bring in another prospect, or do we sign him for another year and let Brock have a season in Utica to develop?  Do we keep all our current D, and even if losing one in expansion we still keep Juolevi in junior?  Do we likewise keep Gaudette for another year in college instead of getting him into pro hockey, considering the anticipated large influx heading that way next season?

Brock is likely the most pro-ready prospect we have now, but perhaps management is going to continue with a more measured approach at turning the roster over, especially now with it down to just a half-dozen remaining from when they took over in 2014.  A lot will likely depend how the Canucks do in the second half as to whether they feel comfortable in moving any more vets -- do Bo and Sven have a lot more still to learn from Burrows, or are they ready to graduate to full-time leaders and drivers?  Would Stecher be better with another year of Edler and Hutton with a Tanev or Gudbranson, or are they also ready to step up?

Alot of question marks....

We don't seem to have a succession plan for guys like Hansen and Burrows but aquiring Boucher and the possibility of re-signing Rodin if he worKS out and also Virtanen joining the club as ways to buy time to let guys like Boeser to be afforded the opportunity to be properly developed instead of rushing him and potentially hurting him that way.

Think of Detroit or Tampa Bay where most prospects are stuffed down in the minors to develop regardless of their draft position and I'm ok with that too.

If Juolevi can develop another year then I'm all for that as well.

Stecher was 22 when joining us....Guys like OJ and BB aren't even 20 yet. IS there a rush? Maybe as far as fans are concerned yes but for the long term betterment of the club and the player, I'm convinced Utica is the best place

Who knows....maybe JB scouts a few gems out of NCAA this year to plug n play and buy more time for our prospects

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see both Boeser and Gaudette leave college after this year and attend Canucks camp in the Fall. Gaudette is going to be 21 by that time and Boeser will be 20 so I think physically they should be close to ready but their performance at camp will likely determine if they spend time in Utica or make the big club. Bear in mind that there are a lot of players 21 and under in the NHL today with many of them making significant contributions.

Gaudette really reminds me of Kesler and I am very optimistic about his future with the Canucks. He has a very high motor, plays with an attitude and now has developed a nice offensive side to his game.

@Ihatetomatoes to answer your post, I can assure you and everybody else on here that Gaudette is not just a mere beneficiary on that line. He is being relied in all situations, 1st line, PP, PK, and in closing minutes of the game. Besides being defensively responsible, when you watch Gaudette play, you can really see that he's reading the play a step above other players on the ice. He can cycle and he can rush up the ice. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, canucklehead80 said:

Seeing how Gaudette has stepped it up in his sophomore year, how does he project going forward? Late round/unknown pick looking quite promising. 3C probably most likely, but could he turn into 2C?

In my opinion as of right now, he could end up being an elite 3C or a low end fringe 2C on a bottom feeder. But I would not be at all surprised to see him exceed those expectations. 

Edited by suitup
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, suitup said:

@Ihatetomatoes to answer your post, I can assure you and everybody else on here that Gaudette is not just a mere beneficiary on that line. He is being relied in all situations, 1st line, PP, PK, and in closing minutes of the game. Besides being defensively responsible, when you watch Gaudette play, you can really see that he's reading the play a step above other players on the ice. He can cycle and he can rush up the ice. 

Thats some high acolades about Gaudette. Red Berensen has recently said the same things about Lockwood. High energy, smart and involved in every play, always in pursuit of the puck, and not just a passenger on the top line in just his freshman year.

Could those 2 be our succession plan to guys like Burrows and Hansen? 

I still like to see those guys do atleast a year or some significant time in the AHL.

Thanks for the great insight @suitup

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Thats some high acolades about Gaudette. Red Berensen has recently said the same things about Lockwood. High energy, smart and involved in every play, always in pursuit of the puck, and not just a passenger on the top line in just his freshman year.

Could those 2 be our succession plan to guys like Burrows and Hansen? 

I still like to see those guys do atleast a year or some significant time in the AHL.

Thanks for the great insight @suitup

No problem! ::D I certainly hope he can be! One thing I'd really like to see him improve on is his skating. I agree with sending him to the AHL, I think it'll be a good place to improve his skating and get physically stronger. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, suitup said:

No problem! ::D I certainly hope he can be! One thing I'd really like to see him improve on is his skating. I agree with sending him to the AHL, I think it'll be a good place to improve his skating and get physically stronger. 

Back in the day teams like  New Jersey, Detroit, and now Tampa....rhey all send their rookies to AHL for a season or 2. Get them transitioned from CHL to the pro's. Things kids got away with in Juniors don't fly in the pro's and usually drives coaches nuts. NCAA, to pro's to get used to the longer schedule, fatigue factors, etc.... build speed, learn pro defensive schemes expected from parent clubs......basically develop.

• Upvote 1

I personally think this kid might be the real deal and a huge steal for the Canucks in the future. What he has accomplished this season is no easy feat. He's gonna easily out pace Brock this year which ill spot Brock since he has been injured but Gaud will also crush Brocks tallies from last season too. I'm tempering expectations here in hoping that Adam will prove to be quite serviceable for the Canucks middle 6 in 2-3 seasons time. I am more than impressed.

4 hours ago, suitup said:

More a scorer or a playmaker?  Any NHL comparables?

On 1/6/2017 at 2:13 AM, Hutton Wink said:

More a scorer or a playmaker?  Any NHL comparables?

IMO two-way player with more playmaking than scoring. I know it sounds kind of silly to those here who only sees the amount of shots he generates on the statsheet every night, but I believe it's Zach Aston-Reese that is the primary triggerman. 

Someone mentioned Stepan as a player compareable earlier and I liked that. I personally saw Mike Richards if he was more of a playermaker than a shooter. So I'd say he's a hybrid. 

So a Mike Richards if he was a playmaker more than a shooter.

Derek Stepan if he had a stronger two way game. 

Physicality between Stepan and Richards.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, suitup said:

IMO two-way player with more playmaking than scoring. I know it sounds kind of silly to those here who only sees the amount of shots he generates on the statsheet every night, but I believe it's Zach Aston-Reese that is the primary triggerman. 

Someone mentioned Stepan as a player compareable earlier and I liked that. I personally saw Mike Richards if he was more of a playermaker than a shooter. So I'd say he's a hybrid. 

So a Mike Richards if he was a playmaker more than a shooter.

Derek Stepan if he had a stronger two way game. 

Physicality between Stepan and Richards.

Now that screams of a Gaudette/Boeser pairing with an experienced PF to clear room on the LW

Speaking of Aston-Reese, he is a Sr. And free agent at the end of this year. Am super curious who other prominent free agents coming out of NCAA can come in and help us

Edited by missioncanucksfan