The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

4 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I think Gaudette should be given the 4C spot next season. I also see the team trading Baertschi and Granlund to clear space for one impact free agent forward signing and Elias Pettersson. We definitely should hold on to Leipsic and Archibald as they offer a lot of intangibles. 

Gaudette is a very smart player, and the 4th line would be ideal for his development.  Sutter could play the 2 centre, and take the most Dzone starts, freeing Gaudette up for easier minutes.  I could see Bo doing the same for Pettersson, once Pettersson moves to centre.

In a couple seasons our centres would be really strong:

Pettersson

Bo

Gaudette

Sutter

that gives us two lefties and two righter for draws.  Plus we have three very good 200 foot guys, who could PK too.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Gaudette just needs time to realize the nhl speed and he needs more muscle then we will really see what he has which so far looks to be good

Gaudette has been developing just fine, and could likely have made the roster out of camp this season.  He's already a better-than-average NHL skater and remember when drafted he was only 168lbs so he has accomplished a great amount in 3 years.

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gaudette is a very smart player, and the 4th line would be ideal for his development.  Sutter could play the 2 centre, and take the most Dzone starts, freeing Gaudette up for easier minutes.  I could see Bo doing the same for Pettersson, once Pettersson moves to centre.

In a couple seasons our centres would be really strong:

Pettersson

Bo

Gaudette

Sutter

that gives us two lefties and two righter for draws.  Plus we have three very good 200 foot guys, who could PK too.  

As it stands now before offseason moves, I see this as the forward depth chart: 

Baer Bo Boes 

Eriksson Sutter Gagner 

Leipsic Pettersson Granlund 

Gaunce Gaudette Virtanen 

Extras: Archie, Goldobin 

Goldobin is expendable as he just can't keep up with the 2-way play, often giving up the puck in defensive zone... 

We should only keep one of Baer and Granlund... Whoever costs less to re-sign?

FA's to consider signing: Neal and Maroon...  no need to blow $10M on a Tavares as our young core will take us to the next level! 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, alfstonker said:

What do you mean? He definitely doesn't lack speed.

well guess NHL speed and his are the same thing to you,but the game is faster then what he is used to playing

he has speed and skill just going forward he will get used to it and better

He was a bit unlucky he didn't register any points.  He came really close to a goal and made a nice play to set up a career AHLer for another.  I'd be shocked if he isn't the 3rd line center next year.

50 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

He was a bit unlucky he didn't register any points.  He came really close to a goal and made a nice play to set up a career AHLer for another.  I'd be shocked if he isn't the 3rd line center next year.

He easily could've had 4-6 points with the chances he generated.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

He said himself he was pretty nervous to start. I know he didn't score, but he made some nice plays throughout his stint and I do think he will be an NHL player for sure. At what level remains to be seen, but I think it's fairly apparent we don't have a Boeser 2.0 on our hands as some were believing.

Edited by kloubek

I think Gaudette played really well for a kid playing his first few NHL games. He did the right things, nothing too flashy. He was good defensively, which will go a long way with the coaches. He's also got great wheels and almost scored a couple of times. Heck, he's already better defensively than Goldobin. I think he'll turn out to be a good, solid player one day, similar to Sutter, with a bit more grit.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Gaudette played really well for a kid playing his first few NHL games. He did the right things, nothing too flashy. He was good defensively, which will go a long way with the coaches. He's also got great wheels and almost scored a couple of times. Heck, he's already better defensively than Goldobin. I think he'll turn out to be a good, solid player one day, similar to Sutter, with a bit more grit.

I can see him as an elite shut down 3C that can chip in offensively from time to time. I was very impressed with his defensive game up here, and I'd be shocked if he didn't make the cut next season. 

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree 100%. Gaudette's a gamer and is the perfect long term fit as the 3C for the Canucks going forward. His defensive game is miles ahead of guys like Goldobin and frankly, Gaunce, who should be nervous now that Gaudette is on the scene. He also set up several stellar plays that just didn't quite result in a goal in his short stint here this season too.

I expect a summer of training + the experience from these games to catapult Gaudette into having a strong training camp and (hopefully) a very solid season next year.

I'm excited!

3 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I can see him as an elite shut down 3C that can chip in offensively from time to time. I was very impressed with his defensive game up here, and I'd be shocked if he didn't make the cut next season. 

He's really going to help the PK as well. I can see him potting around 15-20 goals a year. Really excited for next season, I think the team will be faster (and younger). Jake and Adam flying around, banging bodies, stripping pucks, flying down the boards into the O-zone. Boqvist firing shots from the point with Gaudette, screening the goalie, tipping in a few goals. Yes, I want to see this lol

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I agree 100%. Gaudette's a gamer and is the perfect long term fit as the 3C for the Canucks going forward. His defensive game is miles ahead of guys like Goldobin and frankly, Gaunce, who should be nervous now that Gaudette is on the scene. He also set up several stellar plays that just didn't quite result in a goal in his short stint here this season too.

I expect a summer of training + the experience from these games to catapult Gaudette into having a strong training camp and (hopefully) a very solid season next year.

I'm excited!

Good point about Gaunce. I even kind of forgot about him lol. With all of these exciting, skilled prospects, I never considered where he might fit. If he fits at all. Gaunce has some size but doesn't play nasty. They need a bit of sandpaper from him, but I'm not sure he's capable of playing that style of game, every game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks parted ways with Gaunce, as well as Baertschi, Granlund and Hutton.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good point about Gaunce. I even kind of forgot about him lol. With all of these exciting, skilled prospects, I never considered where he might fit. If he fits at all. Gaunce has some size but doesn't play nasty. They need a bit of sandpaper from him, but I'm not sure he's capable of playing that style of game, every game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks parted ways with Gaunce, as well as Baertschi, Granlund and Hutton.

From what I've heard, they will be re-signing all RFAs this summer if they can.

I am not going to label Adam yet....unlike Brock who was put with skilled setup men, Adam was put with 3rd line players......so it is unfair to mark his ceiling even at a glance.

Adam won the Hoby Baker, and also the scoring title, so it is not like he does not have offensive talent.

Like many of you have said, he was very careful not to miss his defensive assignments, but he had a very small window to show his offensive skills

Yet, there were signs, and he showed me, that he finds the scoring spots to be in.......he may need the time to understand and calibrate his understanding of NHL goalies

I am wondering how a Pettersson/Gaudette/Boeser line would look in several years.....Fun to dream!

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gaunce was a healthy scratch for the final game.  There is Motte and Archie who make it harder for Gaunce.  

I think he played fairly well in his short stint in the NHL and was particularly good in the final game of the season against Edmonton, presumably after settling in a little bit (and accepting the Hobey Baker B)). I've had him pegged as a future 3rd line center for us and it looks like he's on the right track to get there. As others have said, his defensive game was good and he played a responsible game. I could only imagine his minutes going up as he gains confidence in his role next year. 

However, something I noticed was his size. In the NCAA, he looked noticeably more solid than a lot of guys whereas he looks pretty average in the NHL. I think it's going to take a little bit of time before he get's to that same level physically. He could shrug guys off fairly easily in the corners and protect the puck most of the time, so it's going to be an adjustment as he learns to do that against stronger players. I suspect he'll get a little bit stronger over the next couple of years which should help along with experience. 

Small sample size but I was very impressed with what I saw out of gaudette. His puck pursuit was quite noticeable for me, as well as how well he was able to protect the puck once he has it. He's also made a bunch of great passes that lesser players probably would of just dumped in or gave up the possesion in his situation. He's been unlucky not to get a point, but  if he keeps playing this way and is put on a line with more skilled forwards receiving those passes, he'll be contributing in no time. Expect him to be a key piece for this team moving forward. This training camp is going to be one of the most exciting if not the most exciting ever for the canucks with all this potential oozing from so many players 

Gaudette's game at the NHL level was very good in my opinion. Henrik said he covered a lot of the details well, which I'll take his word for 100% of the time. He also set up a lot of plays in the offensive zone that turned into chances.

In His 5 Game Sample:
• He averaged 2 shots a game and had 1 shortside post as well. 
• His individual expected goals for per 60 mins was right there with other top 6 players on our team. 
• HIs individual corsi for per 60 was tops on the team as well.

As Greener said, if young guys can get 20% faster and 20% stronger over the summer that should bode well for them going into next season.

For Gaudette let's say he is able to put on 10 pounds but in that is able to exert 30 pounds more force with his body for shooting, skating, pinning guys, etc we should see him make some solid gains in his total physical ability.

Same thing goes for Pettersson. Right now he probably has a very high strength to weight ratio due to his size. If he wants to keep that or improve he needs to build twice as much strength as he does weight. 

Edited by Derp...
  • Like 1