The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Gaudette played really well for a kid playing his first few NHL games. He did the right things, nothing too flashy. He was good defensively, which will go a long way with the coaches. He's also got great wheels and almost scored a couple of times. Heck, he's already better defensively than Goldobin. I think he'll turn out to be a good, solid player one day, similar to Sutter, with a bit more grit.

Gaudette has a lot more offensive ability, creativity, and upside than Sutter, primarily in that he's a playmaker whereas Sutter struggles with that aspect.  Both are smart players though, and understand the game and how to play it right.

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gaudette has a lot more offensive ability, creativity, and upside than Sutter, primarily in that he's a playmaker whereas Sutter struggles with that aspect.  Both are smart players though, and understand the game and how to play it right.

If Gaudette turns into a top six forward, that's a HUGE win for management, and more importantly for the club. 

If he turns into a middle six player, that's a win still, for a guy drafted in the 4th round. 

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If Gaudette turns into a top six forward, that's a HUGE win for management, and more importantly for the club. 

If he turns into a middle six player, that's a win still, for a guy drafted in the 4th round. 

5th Round actually. Great drafting by Benning and our scouting team.

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I really don't see him as a top six guy. I love the guy and his attitude... and no doubt he has skill and smarts, but I just don't think he has the top-level talent that would be required to break into our top six when you look at the guys he will have to compete with for such a position.  

I do eventually see him as an elite 3rd line center (as someone else mentioned), and like you said, that ain't bad for a later round pick.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I really don't see him as a top six guy. I love the guy and his attitude... and no doubt he has skill and smarts, but I just don't think he has the top-level talent that would be required to break into our top six when you look at the guys he will have to compete with for such a position.  

I do eventually see him as an elite 3rd line center (as someone else mentioned), and like you said, that ain't bad for a later round pick.

Yep. I don't see him as a second line centre with the team either. BUT. if it happened, that'd be huge for the team moving forward. a good problem to have. 

Like you've said, and many other posters as well. I do see him as an elite third line centreman who can chip in offensively, and be very good defensively. Jake may have a spot beside Gaudette. IF Virtanen improves his hands a ton this off-season, he may even be capable of competing for top six minutes.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. I don't see him as a second line centre with the team either. BUT. if it happened, that'd be huge for the team moving forward. a good problem to have. 

Like you've said, and many other posters as well. I do see him as an elite third line centreman who can chip in offensively, and be very good defensively. Jake may have a spot beside Gaudette. IF Virtanen improves his hands a ton this off-season, he may even be capable of competing for top six minutes.

I can see Gaudette and Jake together for sure.  I'm not sure though that if he DOES somehow become a top 6 guy that we would ever have room for him at center. I predict our go-forward centers in a couple of years will be Pettersson and Horvat, and I don't expect we would ever get rid of either. I think if that is the position he ends up playing (though he CAN play wing), the best place for him is as our 3rd line center.  Even that will be a challenge as Sutter is signed for another ... what... 3 years?

i see him as our 4th line center until (and if) his play eclipses that of Sutter.  If it does, then we really have no choice but to either trade him or trade Sutter.  For the purposes of our cap space in 3 years or so, it looks like Sutter will be the odd man out about a year prior to his contract expiring.

On 4/9/2018 at 2:14 PM, HC20.0 said:

I can see him as an elite shut down 3C that can chip in offensively from time to time. I was very impressed with his defensive game up here, and I'd be shocked if he didn't make the cut next season. 

Are you describing a young on-ice Kesler or Gaudette?  Could be either which is exciting to consider.

9 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Are you describing a young on-ice Kesler or Gaudette?  Could be either which is exciting to consider.

Haha I was thinking Malhotra actually, but I’d be ecstatic if he became a Kesler like player too.

• Cheers 1

I'm almost certain Gaudette makes the team next season. It's his job to lose. He never looked out of place at all in the games he played so far. He did all of the right things. Like Green was saying, a lot of skilled prospects get a chance and want to show off their offensive flair (Goldobin), but their defensive game suffers or is non-existent. Gaudette knows D is paramount. The coaches are going to love him, opponents are going to hate him. 

TL and JB are going to give the young guys a chance to prove themselves. Judging by what I've seen/heard from Gaudette, he has a really good work ethic and strives to be better. I expect him to come to camp next fall challenging for that #2C position. Ultimately though, I think they sign a UFA to centre the 2nd line and Gaudette gives the Canucks a heck of a good 3rd line.

Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen 

• Cheers 1

Leipsic - Horvat - Eriksson (Scoring/good 2way play with matchups)

Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen (shutdown)

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser(Secondary scoring)

Gaunce - Sutter - Motte (good shut down line)

Dowd/Goldobin

Some work to be done... I think it is vital to play Pettersson with our best finisher in Boeser - TG can try to give them the easy matchups to keep their confidence up and then give them more responsibility as they get more comfortable with each other and the league. On paper, they would provide more than enough secondary scoring. You hope the first line scores enough. Maybe a little too many youngsters in the lineup, I would say JB will try to pick up a vet to play with Pettersson and Boeser instead of Dahlen, which also allows Dahlen to develop in Utica for a year. All in all, we have some clutter up front which means we have trade chips to work with at the draft, and to improve the lineup

The lineup projection tells me that we do not have a legitimate 1st line for next year, but the forward group does look like they can compliment each other rather well. Everyone will need to pull on the rope, but I have confidence in Travis Green and co.

What I would like to see is:

Vet* - Horvat - Vet*

Eriksson - Pettersson - Boeser

Gaunce - Sutter - Motte

Archibald/Goldobin (unless Goldy takes significant steps this summer in his overall play, although I do not see that happening because for him, he needs experience in games to improve).

Trade chips: Granlund, Baertschi, Gagner, Boucher, Dowd, Hutton on the backend... I'd be looking to get us some solid vet presence for our 1st line using a package including some of these palyers. Even if it is someone who is 30+ years old - we are just looking for a placeholder for 2-3 years so our top end young guys get some time/space to develop. We'll probably have to include some of our high profile/better prospects (Brisebois, Palmu, Goldobin)  in a package to get another 1st line presence.

* ROR in Buffalo is one player who is not performing up to his contract and is unhappy, so he could be had for a reasonable price. Baertschi + Hutton/Brisebois? If we want to add, I'd say Buffalo would have to retain some of his cap. Vets which could be had without losing any current assets in the organization include Vanek, JVR, Neal and Kovalchuk. All good options for the 1st line. My preference would be Neal and Kovalchuk. However, I'm not sure how big of a contract Neal would be looking for and if it is something the Canucks would consider doing. Before anybody says it, big fat no to Kane IMO.

Sorry, long read... Just thinking out loud and transcribing :canucks:

10 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Leipsic - Horvat - Eriksson (Scoring/good 2way play with matchups)

Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen (shutdown)

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser(Secondary scoring)

Gaunce - Sutter - Motte (good shut down line)

Dowd/Goldobin

Some work to be done... I think it is vital to play Pettersson with our best finisher in Boeser - TG can try to give them the easy matchups to keep their confidence up and then give them more responsibility as they get more comfortable with each other and the league. On paper, they would provide more than enough secondary scoring. You hope the first line scores enough. Maybe a little too many youngsters in the lineup, I would say JB will try to pick up a vet to play with Pettersson and Boeser instead of Dahlen, which also allows Dahlen to develop in Utica for a year. All in all, we have some clutter up front which means we have trade chips to work with at the draft, and to improve the lineup

The lineup projection tells me that we do not have a legitimate 1st line for next year, but the forward group does look like they can compliment each other rather well. Everyone will need to pull on the rope, but I have confidence in Travis Green and co.

What I would like to see is:

Vet* - Horvat - Vet*

Eriksson - Pettersson - Boeser

Gaunce - Sutter - Motte

Archibald/Goldobin (unless Goldy takes significant steps this summer in his overall play, although I do not see that happening because for him, he needs experience in games to improve).

Trade chips: Granlund, Baertschi, Gagner, Boucher, Dowd, Hutton on the backend... I'd be looking to get us some solid vet presence for our 1st line using a package including some of these palyers. Even if it is someone who is 30+ years old - we are just looking for a placeholder for 2-3 years so our top end young guys get some time/space to develop. We'll probably have to include some of our high profile/better prospects (Brisebois, Palmu, Goldobin)  in a package to get another 1st line presence.

* ROR in Buffalo is one player who is not performing up to his contract and is unhappy, so he could be had for a reasonable price. Baertschi + Hutton/Brisebois? If we want to add, I'd say Buffalo would have to retain some of his cap. Vets which could be had without losing any current assets in the organization include Vanek, JVR, Neal and Kovalchuk. All good options for the 1st line. My preference would be Neal and Kovalchuk. However, I'm not sure how big of a contract Neal would be looking for and if it is something the Canucks would consider doing. Before anybody says it, big fat no to Kane IMO.

Sorry, long read... Just thinking out loud and transcribing :canucks:

Boeser on the third line? I don't think that's happening. Your best goalscorer has to be on the top line and produce. If anything. Gaudette might be in the third line and work his way up if he can. I think Sutter will be the second line centre honestly to relieve pressure for the young players to produce offensively. Next season is going to be a tough year. But fans and media have been clamoring for a rebuild. Well. This is it. Don't complain. Honestly. I'm excited about what is going to happen next year whether we are good or not, at the very least or young players will be getting valuable experience in the NHL and that will only serve them to become better NHL players down the road. Looks like a really young team next season which probably means a steep learning curve. 

• Upvote 1

If Gaudette makes the team next season, I see ice time breaking down as follows (based on centers):

Horvat (16-18 minutes most nights)

Sutter (16-18 minutes most nights in a shutdown role)

Gagner or Granlund (14-16 minutes most nights in a secondary scoring role, provided that Granlund is re-signed)

Gaudette (12-14 minutes most nights in a tertiary scoring role)

I'm pretty sure that it's a foregone conclusion that Horvat's line will be the primary offensive threat on the roster next season.  Presumably this means that Boeser will play with him.  If Baertschi is re-signed and not traded, then he'll probably round out the top offensive line.

I see Green rolling Sutter out to shut down other teams' top lines which means that he's going to get top minutes most nights.  Although Archibald (if he's re-signed) played admirably with Sutter down the stretch, it's premature to expect him to handle those minutes in an 82 game season.  My guess is that everyone's favorite whipping boy Eriksson will ride shotgun with Sutter for most of the season (if everyone stays healthy) and that this will help to shelter the young guys.

Unless the Canucks sign a FA center or trade for another one, I presume either Gagner or Granlund will center a secondary scoring line (maybe with Goldobin, Virtanen or whoever is not playing center).  For Granlund, this would mean that he's both re-signed and taken away from a shutdown role with Sutter (which he might end up back in next season on the wing).  I'm not convinced that Gagner can carry a line at center but the Canucks don't have too many options.  Unless Pettersson blows away the competition in training camp, I can't see them putting both Pettersson and Gaudette in the line-up next season. 

I think this is why there's likely smoke to the rumors about Tyler Bozak being a target this summer as he is a way better faceoff man than either Gagner or Granlund (which frankly makes him a better center IMHO).  Problem is with dollars and term for Bozak.  A less notable option may be a guy like Derek Ryan who is a UFA from Carolina but he's maybe a 35-40 point guy at best but he's a solid faceoff man and is a veteran pro (kind of like Richardson was).  Riley Nash may also be an OK fit but he's less able on the dot.

That leaves Gaudette and his line (maybe a combination of Leipsic, Virtanen and/or Gaunce) to play against lesser competition in an offensive role and to build confidence.  That would give the Canucks four lines that won't necessarily get steamrolled when everyone's healthy. 

The challenge for management is going to be bringing in enough depth to deal with the inevitable slew of injuries that the Canucks get every season.  They got burned this year with Burmistrov (who I think would have received a lot of opportunity to get the playing time he was looking for with all of the injuries the Canucks suffered had he toughed it out)

Gaunce could be the depth forward or be a call up option as I'm not expecting him to get claimed if waived.  The fact that Gaunce is a natural center also makes him more valuable as a depth forward.  He hasn't lit the world on fire during his tenure with the Canucks but there have been flashes of skill, especially later on in the season, that make it seem like Gaunce might have a bit more to show.  Hopefully he has a good summer of training!

All in all, I think it's feasible for Gaudette to be on the team next season but I'm not against him spending the year in Utica either (even if it burns another year of his ELC), particularly if it means that Utica really becomes a development team with Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich and Gaudette.  That would be amazing and would make seeing anyone of them on a call up all the more exciting.

On 2018-04-12 at 2:56 AM, N4ZZY said:

Boeser on the third line? I don't think that's happening. Your best goalscorer has to be on the top line and produce. If anything. Gaudette might be in the third line and work his way up if he can. I think Sutter will be the second line centre honestly to relieve pressure for the young players to produce offensively. Next season is going to be a tough year. But fans and media have been clamoring for a rebuild. Well. This is it. Don't complain. Honestly. I'm excited about what is going to happen next year whether we are good or not, at the very least or young players will be getting valuable experience in the NHL and that will only serve them to become better NHL players down the road. Looks like a really young team next season which probably means a steep learning curve. 

I see your point and I did mention in my second comment right after my initial comment that maybe Gaudette should not start on the 2nd line. Wouldn't be a bad idea to switch him and Sutter in the lineup. Theres still a lot of room for the youngsters to grow but that's too many open spots on the team. If they don't bring in outside help I believe that's putting too much pressure on the youngsters. People forget that even Bo is incredibly young. I'd like to see a couple of vets on the top line to start the year and hopefully the young guys can play their way up and push the vets down the lineup a little bit. Otherwise we're looking at and Edmonton situation. Doesn't matter if Boeser is on the "third line", I care more about the situations he's put in and the role he's playing. I'm ok with Boeser helping out Pettersson with the secondary scoring until they force their way up the lineup.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:56 PM, N4ZZY said:

If Benning adds a veteran or 2 in free agency, I think it will be opportunity based.  I don't see him moving assets out like Tanev or Edler or whoever, unless he can improve the team in the short term.   In other words, Tanev + for a better player than Tanev.  Benning is not likely to make the weakest part of the team even weaker and a move like this is a long shot.

The most likely addition would be a 2C in my mind but I'm not sure who that might be.

So, I'm quoting N4ZZY because I agree about Sutter.   While his line will again be a checking line, and it's not a 2nd line per se, I think it's likely that they're logging the 2nd most minutes of any line.

Of course, Boeser is going to play with your best players and I see no reason to change the top line that worked very well for most of last season.  While I see Pettersson making the team, i think that he will likely be sheltered on the wing for the next year or 2.

Goldobin and Leipsic will be in a battle for the 3LW as will Gaunce and Archibald be for the 4LW

The line up is young and developing players are sheltered in this line up.  

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Leipsic Gagner Pettersson

Gaunce Gaudette Virtanen

Goldobin 

Archibald

Edler Tanev                                                                                                                      

Pouliot Stecher                                                                                                                 

MDZ Gudbranson                                                                                                           

Hutton Biega.........this is what I think is the depth order, not exact playing pairs

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

If Benning adds a veteran or 2 in free agency, I think it will be opportunity based.  I don't see him moving assets out like Tanev or Edler or whoever, unless he can improve the team in the short term.   In other words, Tanev + for a better player than Tanev.  Benning is not likely to make the weakest part of the team even weaker and a move like this is a long shot.

The most likely addition would be a 2C in my mind but I'm not sure who that might be.

So, I'm quoting N4ZZY because I agree about Sutter.   While his line will again be a checking line, and it's not a 2nd line per se, I think it's likely that they're logging the 2nd most minutes of any line.

Of course, Boeser is going to play with your best players and I see no reason to change the top line that worked very well for most of last season.  While I see Pettersson making the team, i think that he will likely be sheltered on the wing for the next year or 2.

Goldobin and Leipsic will be in a battle for the 3LW as will Gaunce and Archibald be for the 4LW

The line up is young and developing players are sheltered in this line up.  

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Leipsic Gagner Pettersson

Gaunce Gaudette Virtanen

Goldobin 

Archibald

Edler Tanev                                                                                                                      

Pouliot Stecher                                                                                                                 

MDZ Gudbranson                                                                                                           

Hutton Biega.........this is what I think is the depth order, not exact playing pairs

I think Baer or Grans will be traded or packaged in a trade just to create a little more room. Hutton or MDZ traded as well. I like Leipsic with Horvat so maybe a lineup of

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Sutter-Pettersson

Goldy-Gagner-Granlund

Gaunce-Gaudette-Virtanen

Edler-Stecher

Pouliot-Tanev

MDZ-Guddy

McEneny-Biega

56 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think Baer or Grans will be traded or packaged in a trade just to create a little more room. Hutton or MDZ traded as well. I like Leipsic with Horvat so maybe a lineup of

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser

Goldy-Gagner-Granlund

Gaunce-Gaudette-Virtanen

Edler-Stecher

Pouliot-Tanev

MDZ-Guddy

McEneny-Biega

Would likely be the smallest, softest top 9 in the league and CDC would be bemoaning the "injury bug" by early December yet again as another season is off the rails before Christmas. JB needs to bring in a couple of gritty vets as UFA's or its going to be another long season for Canuck fans in 18-19.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser

Goldy-Gagner-Granlund

Gaunce-Gaudette-Virtanen

Edler-Stecher

Pouliot-Tanev

MDZ-Guddy

McEneny-Biega

I'd like to re-arrange that F group iand add a veteran 2C with some size and grit in the mix:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser

Dahlen-free agent-Pettersson

Leipsic/Goldy-Gaudette-Virtanen

Gaunce-Sutter-Granlund

Gagner  - trade if possible