The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to re-arrange that F group iand add a veteran 2C with some size and grit in the mix:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser

Dahlen-free agent-Pettersson

Leipsic/Goldy-Gaudette-Virtanen

Gaunce-Sutter-Granlund

Gagner  - trade if possible 

Why not put Sutter into that two spot?  I think Pettersson and Dahlen should be on a third line, in an offensive role and second unit PP.  

Maybe Granlund or Gaunce could be the fourth line centre?

yes, trade Gagner.

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why not put Sutter into that two spot?  I think Pettersson and Dahlen should be on a third line, in an offensive role and second unit PP.  

Maybe Granlund or Gaunce could be the fourth line centre?

yes, trade Gagner.

he could probably do it, but as many others have pointed out he's becoming an excellent shut down C. It might be harder to replace that than get a veteran C in trade or free agency.

Gag's should have been a fat 1 year deal. Oh well. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he could probably do it, but as many others have pointed out he's becoming an excellent shut down C. It might be harder to replace that than get a veteran C in trade or free agency.

Gag's should have been a fat 1 year deal. Oh well. 

I guess it depends on what each centres role is how they are numbered.  I totally agree Sutter should play against the other teams’ top centres.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess it depends on what each centres role is how they are numbered.  I totally agree Sutter should play against the other teams’ top centres.  

if we do bring in another C it is going to create quite the log jam too... training camp waivers should be an interesting time around here 

Just now, Alflives said:

Would a team claim Gagner?  

I wasn't thinking him but I would think so. His buyout is pretty good just 1.1 per year but thats unlikely too. 

More likely I could see a retained money deal for him, he does have 10 goals and 31 pts, so at 1/2 his current salary i'd imagine he'd be a fit in a number of places. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to re-arrange that F group iand add a veteran 2C with some size and grit in the mix:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser

Dahlen-free agent-Pettersson

Leipsic/Goldy-Gaudette-Virtanen

Gaunce-Sutter-Granlund

Gagner  - trade if possible 

Gagner is tradeable with that contract but he is useful too.   Will depend on what they can sign and on Gaudette's summer progress.

I would personally trade Motte for Gaunce.  I know not many are going to agree but I REALLY liked what I saw from Motte.  Not sure why he isn't getting more hype - he is young, fast, hits, blocks shots and generally plays with the reckless abandon needed in an energy/shutdown role.   He can also score with some decent frequency.   Every successful NHL team needs players like Motte somewhere in the lineup.   

I also notice you don't have Baer.   I would think if Dahlen is NHL ready, Baer can indeed be potentially moved but until that time, he remains a legit 20 goal threat with speed and a nose for dirty area goals.

Finally, I like that top line.   I know most of CDC are anti-LE but that combo intrigues me and would actually be a pretty tough line for other teams to match against as you have three honest hard workers who backcheck so they might destroy another top line that cheats (*cough* Oilers/Flames/Leafs....).    

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Gagner is tradeable with that contract but he is useful too.   Will depend on what they can sign and on Gaudette's summer progress.

I would personally trade Motte for Gaunce.  I know not many are going to agree but I REALLY liked what I saw from Motte.  Not sure why he isn't getting more hype - he is young, fast, hits, blocks shots and generally plays with the reckless abandon needed in an energy/shutdown role.   He can also score with some decent frequency.   Every successful NHL team needs players like Motte somewhere in the lineup.   

I also notice you don't have Baer.   I would think if Dahlen is NHL ready, Baer can indeed be potentially moved but until that time, he remains a legit 20 goal threat with speed and a nose for dirty area goals.

Finally, I like that top line.   I know most of CDC are anti-LE but that combo intrigues me and would actually be a pretty tough line for other teams to match against as you have three honest hard workers who backcheck so they might destroy another top line that cheats (*cough* Oilers/Flames/Leafs....).    

I liked Motte a lot too, and would be just fine to see him win that spot from Gaunce (I'm just not all that hyped on him, the phrase mashed potatoes without the gravy keeps coming to mind).

I do think Baer is going to be shopped... but that injury might throw a wrench into it. 

Thats the best spot I see for Loui, its the only combo that matches up with his past success in Dallas and Boston imo. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I liked Motte a lot too, and would be just fine to see him win that spot from Gaunce (I'm just not all that hyped on him, the phrase mashed potatoes without the gravy keeps coming to mind).

I do think Baer is going to be shopped... but that injury might throw a wrench into it. 

Thats the best spot I see for Loui, its the only combo that matches up with his past success in Dallas and Boston imo. 

It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out next fall. I still think Gaunce will evolve. He took great steps this year. Before his injury he was actually putting points up. IMHO the only thing missing in his game is a bit more physicality. If Archibald and Motte did not turn a light bulb on then nothing will and he is likely passed on the depth chart. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Because Motte can also play C like Gaunce, I think Motte will likely pass Gaunce unless the latter comes to camp next year with something more to offer than he has shown so far at NHL level.   Motte is also a year younger.

Gaunce - 114 NHL games so far, 5 goals, 7 assists and 45 PIMS with not brilliant advanced stats...e.g. TA/GA was 1.0

Motte - 79 NHL games, 9 goals, 5 assists and 20 PIMS with decent advanced stats...TA/GA was off charts good at 5.0.   

This past season, Gaunce 1.3 hits per game, Motte 3.1.   

Even though I was definitely in the crowd of underrating him I would also take him over Gaunce. I love his effort I feel he's a bit like Hansen early is his career, with his speed being a double edged sword, way faster than has hands can keep up, but fast enough to fly around and be a great energy guy.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Because Motte can also play C like Gaunce, I think Motte will likely pass Gaunce unless the latter comes to camp next year with something more to offer than he has shown so far at NHL level.   Motte is also a year younger.

Gaunce - 114 NHL games so far, 5 goals, 7 assists and 45 PIMS with not brilliant advanced stats...e.g. TA/GA was 1.0

Motte - 79 NHL games, 9 goals, 5 assists and 20 PIMS with decent advanced stats...TA/GA was off charts good at 5.0.   

This past season, Gaunce 1.3 hits per game, Motte 3.1.   

Gaunce needs to bring nasty to his game if he wants to stay in the league.  I’d really like to see him be a straight line, hard nosed, drop the gloves, pain in the A$$ to play against guy, but I don’t think it’s in his DNA.  

Wowza great to see all the love for Gaudette here. I think I’m just about his biggest fan and can see (dream) him into a 2c or god willing 1c in time. He is a bit of a slow progressor if you will, but he somehow manages to find a way to consistently get better at every stage of the competition. You have to love that!!

Next season I can see him all over the lineup but by the end of the season being a fan favourite pest potting timely goals with bitterly annoying celebrations for opposing players and fans. :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2018 at 9:24 PM, Pearly Jamble said:

Wowza great to see all the love for Gaudette here. I think I’m just about his biggest fan and can see (dream) him into a 2c or god willing 1c in time. 

I really think it is too early to suggest even a 2c ceiling, and even in a dream.  He looked good in his short stint, but the proof is in the numbers and so far we have no idea what to expect from him in that regard.

If he can be an elite 3rd liner I'm more than thrilled, given his draft position.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:33 AM, Alflives said:

Gaunce needs to bring nasty to his game if he wants to stay in the league.  I’d really like to see him be a straight line, hard nosed, drop the gloves, pain in the A$$ to play against guy, but I don’t think it’s in his DNA.  

Gaunce Sutter Motte is an ideal 4th line, IMO. 

Yes, I think we could see that line matching up at least some of the time against top lines. 

How far off am I? (Sorry for thread drift)

Edited by Western Red
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Gaunce Sutter Motte is an ideal 4th line, IMO. 

Yes, I think we could see that line matching up at least some of the time against top lines. 

How far off am I? 

I like Sutter checking the other teams’ top centres.  Do you think Gaunce could match-up against top lines?