The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

Big jump from college to the show. He's feisty, got a nice hit or two in during his 5 games and probably should have had a couple points, but watching him closely you could tell he was a step behind. He didn't have the speed and power in his first few steps. Will be fun to see where he's at after the summer. 

I certainly wouldn't be against him starting out in Utica. It will never hurt him or his development to do so. Play well and earn a call up. 

If he earns a spot on the big club he should start out on the fourth line and work his way up like Horvat did. 

Nucks have some high end prospects with the likes of pettersson and hughes who will more than likely become good-great NHL players, but are also gaining a cupboard full of prospects who are a tier below those guys. Guys like Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, Juolevi, Gadjovich. It's going to be fun watching these guys develop over the next few years. We just have to hope a few of them live up to their potential and even surpass it!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Gaudette wont be in the minors unless he had a horrendous offseason.  He needs to play with skilled players or at least players not named Nic Dowd to succeed.  He looked great and should've had at least 2 points in the 5 games he played.  Saying he's nowhere good enough for the show is just justification for why you're on my ignore list. Try watching the games next time instead of looking at 0 points and deducing that he isn't good enough for the NHL. 

IMO he'll probably be good enough to start up here and I'll not be surprised or disappointed if he does.

That said, depending on what other moves are made heading in to the season, it's (rightly) going to be a hell of a dog fight for roster spots (finally). And playing likely 1C in Utica at +/- 20 minutes a night, in all situations and available for injury depth wouldn't be a bad situation AT ALL either. 

He'd still get plenty of play time up here with injuries and perhaps even see a permanent spot open at the TDL.

12 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Gaudette has to be on the opening night roster. Theres no way they waste a year on his elc for a hand full of games, just to put him in the minors a few months later.

Could not disagree more with this statement.   If he does not come to camp and earn a spot, then the message is "sign your elc and we are so worried about something five plus years from now that we will give you a spot even if you don't earn it".    Sacrificing one prospect's controllable term to send a strong message to 50 plus professionals in your organization is worth it every single time if that one player feels any sort of entitlement because he "burned a year" on his ELC.

Yeah I agree with Rob. With that said, even though his stats didn't show it, I think Gaudette showed well last season and I believe his drive will be strong enough that he will make it out of camp and have a great offseason.  

I like that we are bringing in character guys who push *themselves*.  Makes for fantastic competition throughout.

Rob is right here I think.  Watching AG in his 5 games he played ok but I was expecting more because he was the leading scorer at NU and the next Holby Baker winner.  I think he is going to be a solid 3rd line centre or possible even a second centre but some time in Utica would only help him adjust and then after Christmas bring him back up.:)

I thought Gaudette played well last season.  He showed defensive responsibility, and the ability to transition up ice.  He was the driving force that made his line with Leipsic and Virtanen look dangerous everytime they were on the ice.  Yes, it was in mean nothing games, but it meant something to those young guys and they looked confident playing together.  I think Gaudette is the kind of player that will make his linemates better because of how he thinks the game and I hope he makes the team.  But I wouldn't be upset of he didn't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Right, because having him on a stacked comets team where he can play instead of getting owned in the nhl is a bad thing. You're out to lunch bud. 

When did he get "owned" during his stint last season?

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

0 points. Not exactly a good way to build confidence, but hey it worked for yakupov right? Let's rush him. 

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

0 points. Not exactly a good way to build confidence, but hey it worked for yakupov right? Let's rush him. 

Wow....the hyperbole is strong in this one!!!

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Not registering a point in a handful of games doesn't automatically = "being owned". 

Whether or not a player was outskated, outmuscled, outhustled, or just generally outperformed every time they stepped on the ice is a far more accurate indicator of whether or not a player was "owned", and if you honestly believed Gaudette was "owned" in that way, you're not being intellectually honest.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Maybe then if his linemates (hello, Boucher) didn't miss open nets on clean cross-ice passes you'd be singing a different tune.

Yakupov came straight out of junior.  Gaudette dominated 3 years of college, including being the best player.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

LOL - yes, with young kids getting a first taste with a few minutes here and there it is all about the points.

You are on quite the roll today.   :lol:

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Did you actually watch any of the games he played?  It would appear not...........He easily held his own and got better during his brief tenure of 5 games.   He could have easily had several points - just soo happens that he didn't.  I can only assume you look at the stats only and came up with this conclusion.

I would be quite surprised if he doesn't start the year with the big club.   I realize there are a lot of bodies atm but I think there's gonna be a trade or 2 to alleviate some of the logjam.  Gaudette strikes me as a very hard worker (having already overcome long odds to get here) and I highly doubt he had anything but a very good offseason.  Assuming that's the case he will be on the team come opening day.

• Cheers 1