The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You think he's gonna be our 3c? ok.

FWIW, as a sheltered '3rd' line (traditional line #'s be so archaic yo), it could very well be a fit.

Something like Eriksson, Gaudette, Petterson as a sheltered '3rd' line...why not?

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

FWIW, as a sheltered '3rd' line (traditional line #'s be so archaic yo), it could very well be a fit.

Something like Eriksson, Gaudette, Petterson as a sheltered '3rd' line...why not?

There is no consistency from fans. They all moan and groan about giving the kids chances. Then if the team was actually to put a kid into a position of responsibility such as 3C the fans say the team is throwing them to the wolves.

In this case in particular, Gaudette is not a kid. He is going to be 22 and has played against men in the NCAA and gotten accolades for doing so. While I have not advocated for Gaudette to be given the 3C spot, maybe he should be considered as aGENT says above.

Just look around the league. Many younger players similar to Gaudette have been given chances like this and have flourished. Look at William Karlsson in Vegas. Yes he is a couple years older than Gaudette, but before last year he had been given limited opportunity. He scores 9 goals in 2016, 6 in 2017. Last year he is given opportunity and he scores 43 goals. NO I am not comparing Gaudette to Karlsson. I am bringing up the issue that fans want our young guns to play but when put in the 'fans' complaint about it.

There are lots of examples of guys younger than Gaudette being given opportunity and they flourished....look at our very own Boeser. And before him Horvat forced the coaches to play him more. 

Maybe the team does let Gaudette play 3C this year with two experienced wingers or at least one as aGENT detailed above. The Canucks are supposed to "suck" again this year anyway so what can they lose from trying it??

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Shrimpy NCAA 4-year PPG Kerfoot was playoff-team Colorado's 3C last year.  Serious undervaluation going on here.

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Shrimpy NCAA 4-year PPG Kerfoot was playoff-team Colorado's 3C last year.  Serious undervaluation going on here.

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

That line could work nicely as well. We have TONNES of options. Isn't it nice? ::D

Green must be salivating! 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Gaudette will work his ass off this off season and come to camp bigger and ready to take an NHL spot. I also think he is pissed that people only see him as a 3rd line centre and that  he excel like Boeser has. I see him surprising a lot of people and earning a top 6 centre spot on the team. 

Pettersson Horvat Boeser 

Baertchi Gaudette Goldobin

Granlund Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Eriksson 

Leipsic 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think Gaudette will work his ass off this off season and come to camp bigger and ready to take an NHL spot. I also think he is pissed that people only see him as a 3rd line centre and that  he excel like Boeser has. I see him surprising a lot of people and earning a top 6 centre spot on the team. 

I really hope you are right, as it could make for a very interesting camp and preseason. It could also answer a lot of question marks about the depth at center ice.

5 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Pettersson Horvat Boeser 

Granlund Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Eriksson 

Leipsic 

if he could turn into a legit 2C, that would be a dream come true, filling an immediate hole

but in the long term, compared with contending teams, isn't Horvat more of a 2C and Petterson potentially a 1C? if so AG could then easily slot in at 3C and still be very useful.. 

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Pettersson Horvat Boeser 

Granlund Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Eriksson 

Leipsic 

I am not sure what you are referring to. I have seen no indication that Gaudette is pissed about pegged as a 3C. For one thing, I don't think he is being pegged as a 3C. But if he turned out to be 3C on a good NHL team (as we hope Vancouver will soon be), I think he would be delighted.

He might be unhappy that the three UFA signings have reduced his probably of making the team out of camp from close to 100% to something below 50%, but that is different. Whatever happens I think he will adopt a good attitude and work hard. And I am sure he realizes that playing a lead role on what should be a good Utica team is not a bad outcome for next year, at least to start.

3 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

if he could turn into a legit 2C, that would be a dream come true, filling an immediate hole

but in the long term, compared with contending teams, isn't Horvat more of a 2C and Petterson potentially a 1C? if so AG could then easily slot in at 3C and still be very useful.. 

Any good team would like Horvat at 2C. Obviously a good team would like a bit more scoring at the 1C position. Pettersson had a great year last year and looks very good, but there is no guarantee he becomes 1C next year or ever in the NHL. Maybe it will turn out that he is better on the wing. Given his relatively slight build I think playing C in NHL might be a challenge for him. But the Canucks would certainly like him to be able to take the 1C role.

I look at it this way. If Horvat is your 1C, then you probably thin at the center position. But if Horvat is your 2C, then your center position is looking very good, as you have a world-class 2C and, presumably, a guy even better at 1C.

Gaudette will be in the mix for 2C, 3C or 4C by this time next year, maybe even this year. He could be at 2C coming out of camp (although I think that is unlikely).

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JamesB said:

I am not sure what you are referring to. I have seen no indication that Gaudette is pissed about pegged as a 3C. For one thing, I don't think he is being pegged as a 3C. But if he turned out to be 3C on a good NHL team (as we hope Vancouver will soon be), I think he would be delighted.

He might be unhappy that the three UFA signings have reduced his probably of making the team out of camp from close to 100% to something below 50%, but that is different. Whatever happens I think he will adopt a good attitude and work hard. And I am sure he realizes that playing a lead role on what should be a good Utica team is not a bad outcome for next year, at least to start.

Any good team would like Horvat at 2C. Obviously a good team would like a bit more scoring at the 1C position. Pettersson had a great year last year and looks very good, but there is no guarantee he becomes 1C next year or ever in the NHL. Maybe it will turn out that he is better on the wing. Given his relatively slight build I think playing C in NHL might be a challenge for him. But the Canucks would certainly like him to be able to take the 1C role.

I look at it this way. If Horvat is your 1C, then you probably thin at the center position. But if Horvat is your 2C, then your center position is looking very good, as you have a world-class 2C and, presumably, a guy even better at 1C.

Gaudette will be in the mix for 2C, 3C or 4C by this time next year, maybe even this year. He could be at 2C coming out of camp (although I think that is unlikely).

Because people get hung up on who is the 1C, 2C, 3C etc lets dispense with the labels.  Locks for centre this coming season appear to be Horvat, Sutter and Beagle.  Who will be the "other" centre?  

Pettersson - most think he will be initiated on the wing

Gaudette

Gagner - Green didn't seem thrilled with him in the middle (I have been penciling him in on my posts but only by default.  I can't decide)

Granlund - same

Schaller

Gaunce - Green has said that he thinks Gaunce will make a better LW in the NHL

Given that the addition of Beagle is about taking defensive match ups, the "other centre" could almost be any of the above.  The one thing that I am sure of is that Pettersson and Gaudette are projecting as future centres for the Canucks while the others do not.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Because people get hung up on who is the 1C, 2C, 3C etc lets dispense with the labels.  Locks for centre this coming season appear to be Horvat, Sutter and Beagle.  Who will be the "other" centre?  

Pettersson - most think he will be initiated on the wing

Gaudette

Gagner - Green didn't seem thrilled with him in the middle (I have been penciling him in on my posts but only by default.  I can't decide)

Granlund - same

Schaller

Gaunce - Green has said that he thinks Gaunce will make a better LW in the NHL

Given that the addition of Beagle is about taking defensive match ups, the "other centre" could almost be any of the above.  The one thing that I am sure of is that Pettersson and Gaudette are projecting as future centres for the Canucks while the others do not.

Recent quotes from Benning and Green have them apparently leaning to trying Pettersson at C and partnered with Baer. Third guy TBD.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Recent quotes from Benning and Green have them apparently leaning to trying Pettersson at C and partnered with Baer. Third guy TBD.

I'd be interested in reading/hearing that for myself - any clue when/where you heard them say that?

2 hours ago, nzan said:

I'd be interested in reading/hearing that for myself - any clue when/where you heard them say that?

On 2018-07-15 at 3:17 PM, mll said:

Botchford has an article up in the Province with quotes by Green.  Sounds like Pettersson is going to get the opportunity to be C2.  Goldobin/Leipsic will battle for LW1 and Baertschi is likely playing with Pettersson.  See extract below.  

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-green-likes-canucks-mix-but-to-win-well-need-to-scratch-and-claw

On 2018-07-15 at 9:37 PM, mll said:

Fwiw Brough got a similar lineup after discussing with Benning.