The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

I think he should have every opportunity. He looked like he could play last year, and that was on a sinking ship after a long season. He said he's worked on getting stronger and faster, and he seems confident. Coming in ready after a good summer of training could give him that extra boost he needs to erase doubts that he's an NHLer.

I don't doubt McIntrye's comment because they are probably hoping Gaudette will come back and pick up where he left off last year. They need a guy like him to emerge. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/6/2018 at 8:51 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The thing about Gaudette is that he can play center and he doesn't necessarily have to be in the top 6 to be effective. They have a lot of options with him, so it wouldn't shock me if he was on the roster opening night.

With the way our roster is set I think him not being a top 6 guy works against him. Our center core if things all work out nicely will be Bo, Pettersson, Sutter, and Beagle. The wingers should be a mix of Boeser, Baer, Virtanen, Eriksson, Goldy, Leipsic, Dahlen, Gagner, Schaller, Roussel, Granlund. 11 guys right there battling for 8 winger spots and that's excluding Archie, Motte, and Gaunce, excluding the more hopefuls in Gadj, Palmu, Jasek, and Lind. If Pettersson doesn't start the year at center I could see Gaudette making it opening night, but if Pettersson does start the year at center I see no room for Gaudette.

I would think management/coaching staff would want Gaudette at center too. Gaudette might fall victim to too many bodies like Stecher did. But, injuries may as well be the name of our team so he could find his way onto this team eventually, I just have a really hard time seeing it opening night. Nothing wrong with top 6 minutes, playing in all situations in Utica to start the season. That team looks like it might be pretty stacked this season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

With the way our roster is set I think him not being a top 6 guy works against him. Our center core if things all work out nicely will be Bo, Pettersson, Sutter, and Beagle. The wingers should be a mix of Boeser, Baer, Virtanen, Eriksson, Goldy, Leipsic, Dahlen, Gagner, Schaller, Roussel, Granlund. 11 guys right there battling for 8 winger spots and that's excluding Archie, Motte, and Gaunce, excluding the more hopefuls in Gadj, Palmu, Jasek, and Lind. If Pettersson doesn't start the year at center I could see Gaudette making it opening night, but if Pettersson does start the year at center I see no room for Gaudette.

I would think management/coaching staff would want Gaudette at center too. Gaudette might fall victim to too many bodies like Stecher did. But, injuries may as well be the name of our team so he could find his way onto this team eventually, I just have a really hard time seeing it opening night. Nothing wrong with top 6 minutes, playing in all situations in Utica to start the season. That team looks like it might be pretty stacked this season.

I think our center core is a good situation to be in though. Sutter and Pettersson have both been able to play wing along with center, so really we have at least 4 guys who can play center or wing if you include Gaudette and Gagner (depending on what Gagner we end up seeing on the ice). That's a lot of flexibility in the middle 6 and a lot of possibilities for development.

I think was 48mph is stating is how Gaudette's game style can be either top 6 or bottom 6. He's a flexible 200 foot player who will likely be able to be on the penalty kill and even the power play depending on his hands. I don't think it needs to really be stated that the more tools you can bring to the table, the more possibilities your employer has with you and the more likely you will have a job.

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don't see how there is any space at all for Gaudette. We already have too many forwards. He would have to kick Gagner out of a spot. 

Injuries and trades happen.  A few months as the top line C in Utica won't hurt him.

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don't see how there is any space at all for Gaudette. We already have too many forwards. He would have to kick Gagner out of a spot. 

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Dahlen Sutter Pettersson 

Roussel Beagle Virtanen 

Leipsic Gaudette Goldobin

Granlund  Schaller 

Trade Eriksson and Gagner 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Dahlen Sutter Pettersson 

Roussel Beagle Virtanen 

Leipsic Gaudette Goldobin

Granlund  Schaller 

Trade Eriksson and Gagner 

Pay them to play in Utica is worst case scenario.  So many good young guys.

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And?

That's like the reason JB brought in a guy like Gagner. To give the kids someone to beat out of a spot, internal competition and maybe a bit of vet leadership (but I'm totally not buying that line about Gagner).

Yeah sure, it was thought he'd be a big help to our miserable powerplay, but wasn't at all. 

I want Gaudette to force JB's hand in a waive or trade on a guy like Gagner. JB wants his hand forced. I doubt he actually likes Gagner out there.

• Upvote 2

PENTICTON, B.C. – Adam Gaudette is listed at 170 pounds and no one cares. Almost no one.

I’m actually close to 190 now,” the centre said Saturday. “I put on a few pounds this summer. I think I was 170 when I was drafted. My parents get kind of angry about it, like, ‘What, they say you’re 170?’ But it doesn’t bother me.

“Maybe opponents go in a little lighter in the corners.”

Weight was a heavy issue at the Canucks’ Young Stars tournament until about the time wiry prospect Ellias Pettersson stepped on the ice here Friday night and dazzled with his skill as Vancouver’s prospects overwhelmed the Winnipeg Jets’ rookies 8-2.

Pettersson, 19, was the best player in Sweden last season, winning scoring and MVP titles. Gaudette, 21, was the best player in U.S. college hockey, winning scoring and Hobey Baker awards.

Gaudette was nearly as thin as Pettersson when the Canucks plucked him from Cedar Rapids of the United States Hockey League in the fifth round of the 2015 National Hockey League draft. That seems a lot longer than three years ago.

The six-foot-one forward from Braintree, Mass., is nearly 20 pounds heavier, which is worth remembering, and evolved dramatically as a player during three high-scoring seasons at Northeastern University.

After Pettersson, Gaudette is the next most likely prospect to make the Canucks’ opening-night lineup on Oct. 3, which is also his 22nd birthday. They are at the crest of the wave of Vancouver prospects surging towards the NHL, following in behind last season’s Calder Trophy runnerup, Brock Boeser.

But while Pettersson, the gifted fifth-overall pick from the 2017 draft, is a pure offensive player who needs to secure a top-six role, Gaudette is a lineup wildcard.

His game is versatile enough that he could be the fourth-line winger or the second-line centre – playing alongside Pettersson. Or he could even skate on the first line with Boeser and Bo Horvat if coach Travis Green moves winger Sven Baertschi beside Pettersson to give the teenager experienced wingers.

“When you’re a skilled guy and you’re expected to score, that’s a hard job,” Green said after watching the prospects practise on Saturday for Sunday’s rematch against the Jets’ kids. “And when you’re a guy who’s expected to win faceoffs, block shots and kill penalties, that’s still a hard job. But depending on the makeup of the player, sometimes those jobs can be quicker to attain.

“I remember as a player, when I was a guy thinking I should score 25 goals, it was hard. And I didn’t like that player. Then when I finally felt comfortable in my own skin and could be a player who scored 10 or 15 goals but do a lot of little things that go into winning, I was a way better player. I think Adam has the qualities and the makeup where he could be that guy.

“We don’t know his upside yet, but he talks about a 200-foot game and he could be a little bit of everything.”

There is a massive opportunity for Gaudette to make the NHL straight from college hockey after getting a five-game cameo with the Canucks at the end of last season. Boeser used a similar head start at the end of the 2016-17 season to launch himself into the Canucks lineup last fall.

As with Gaudette, Boeser’s season began at this tournament.

“It laid out the plan for what I needed to work on in the summer, and that’s exactly what I worked on,” Gaudette said of his NHL preview. “I feel comfortable with my skating and I put on some muscle. I feel strong out there, faster. I just feel good.”

Gaudette opened scoring and added an assist during Friday’s romp. Until Pettersson and linemates Jonathan Dahlen and Kole Lind began dominating in the second period, the Canucks’ best line was Gaudette between minor-leaguer Zack MacEwen and Petrus Palmu, a sixth-round pick who was named rookie-of-the-year last season in Finland’s top league.

Obviously, I’ve been a late bloomer and have always been trying to catch up to guys,” Gaudette said. “So there was nothing really new this summer; I just got after it a little more. (My skating) is not as choppy as it used to be. It’s a little easier to get up and down the ice.

“I’ve always been kind of a choppy skater, an aggressive skater. Ever since I was little, I’ve been working on my stride, trying to lengthen it a little bit and smooth it out, so I get more power out of it.”

Gaudette does appear to moving better, although it’s difficult to compare his appearance among prospects this weekend with what he encountered five months ago in the NHL against the best players in the world.

But you can’t dismiss the drive of a player who had 60 points in 38 games last season at Northeastern but says he takes as much pride in winning a defensive-zone faceoff as scoring a goal.

“I’m pretty hungry,” he said. “It’s everybody’s dream to be in the NHL. Everyone wants to play there, and I think I have a pretty good shot. I just have to force the coaches to put me in there. I’ll do whatever I have to do to help the team. I’m hoping to be a guy who can play in any situation.

“I’ve never really had complacency. I’ve never been satisfied wherever I was at. That’s just part of my mentality. I think that’s what’s gotten me where I am, just never being satisfied and always wanting more and pushing through that ceiling.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gaudette-looking-follow-boesers-path-crack-canucks-roster/

• Cheers 1

On ‎7‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

I think he should have every opportunity. He looked like he could play last year, and that was on a sinking ship after a long season. He said he's worked on getting stronger and faster, and he seems confident. Coming in ready after a good summer of training could give him that extra boost he needs to erase doubts that he's an NHLer.

I don't doubt McIntrye's comment because they are probably hoping Gaudette will come back and pick up where he left off last year. They need a guy like him to emerge. 

Just my own guess?

Gaudette will still play 55 to 70 games. Maybe more? But not be on the opening roster.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1