The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

21 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don't see how there is any space at all for Gaudette. We already have too many forwards. He would have to kick Gagner out of a spot. 

Gagner was brought in last year when we didn't have these prospects coming in and vying for a spot like now. Benning's said how he will bury contracts in the minors if he has to.

If Gaudette beats out Gagner, I don't know about you but I'm not exactly crying about that. ;)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

Gagner was brought in last year when we didn't have these prospects coming in and vying for a spot like now. Benning's said how he will bury contracts in the minors if he has to.

If Gaudette beats out Gagner, I don't know about you but I'm not exactly crying about that. ;)

I'd be stoked! Would love to see a sheltered kid line of Pettersson - Gaudette - Virtanen 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just to reiterate:

“I thought he was great,” Johnson said. “He looked confident. He looked poised. He’s a hockey player."
There are no discussions with him. He’s going to camp to take someone’s job.

IMO the only way Gagner survives is if he shows better than Gaunce and Granlund, and even then Dahlen may push him out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Just to reiterate:

“I thought he was great,” Johnson said. “He looked confident. He looked poised. He’s a hockey player."
There are no discussions with him. He’s going to camp to take someone’s job.

IMO the only way Gagner survives is if he shows better than Gaunce and Granlund, and even then Dahlen may push him out.

Gaunce is as good as gone IMO.

• Haha 1

Agree with Johnson on this one.  Gaudette looked totally dialled in and, IMO, the most NHL ready player on the Canucks team.  If he doesn't make the team out of camp, and I'm not saying he won't, but I am skeptical JB would put Gagne or Granlund on waivers, he looks to have one heck of a season in Utica.  He could do some serious damage with Boucher on his wing.

9 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Gaunce is as good as gone IMO.

It's funny, I keep seeing people defend him on here. I mean he IS better than a lot of people/fans/media give him credit for but even then he was on the bubble of the roster before this influx.

Schaller plays a similar role but adds more grit and scoring and kids like Pettersson and Gaudette (maybe Dahlen if not now, sooner than later) will push other good players down the lineup further squeezing out guys like Gaunce.

If he wants to not get waived, he's going to need one HELL of a camp.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

Agree with Johnson on this one.  Gaudette looked totally dialled in and, IMO, the most NHL ready player on the Canucks team.  If he doesn't make the team out of camp, and I'm not saying he won't, but I am skeptical JB would put Gagne or Granlund on waivers, he looks to have one heck of a season in Utica.  He could do some serious damage with Boucher on his wing.

I think there'll be a few things that will decide his fate. Gagner, I doubt they'd have even a remote issue waiving if they can't find a trade but Granlund I think they could get real value for, particularly at/near the TDL (assuming he has a decent year). And Granlund is certainly the one to be looking over his shoulder at the Gaudette train coming his way IMO. They fill a similar role (2 way forward with both enough skill and defensive play to play up and down the lineup at W or C).

But is Gaudette better off playing 10 minutes a night up here on say 4th line RW or 18+ minutes in Utica as 1C in all situations and honing his offence with injury call ups and eventually a 'permanent' trade/TDL call up?

Time will tell.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's funny, I keep seeing people defend him on here. I mean he IS better than a lot of people/fans/media give him credit for but even then he was on the bubble of the roster before this influx.

Schaller plays a similar role but adds more grit and scoring and kids like Pettersson and Gaudette (maybe Dahlen if not now, sooner than later) will push other good players down the lineup further squeezing out guys like Gaunce.

If he wants to not get waived, he's going to need one HELL of a camp.

I am one of those Gaunce defenders. I do see him ending the season on an NHL roster. He might start the season in the AHL.

Where I think he comes through, is that I'm convinced that JB/ TG have two totally defensive lines in mind. If that is fact, Gaunce is a perfect fit. Definitely beats any rookie and Gagner too. His competition for a defensive roll would come from Granlund. Training camp will be full of interesting options !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I am one of those Gaunce defenders. I do see him ending the season on an NHL roster. He might start the season in the AHL.

Where I think he comes through, is that I'm convinced that JB/ TG have two totally defensive lines in mind. If that is fact, Gaunce is a perfect fit. Definitely beats any rookie and Gagner too. His competition for a defensive roll would come from Granlund. Training camp will be full of interesting options !

I am too, still don't see room for him.

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen/Eriksson

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

And that's without a kid (like Gaudette) forcing his way on to one of those lines as well.

Who's Gaunce displacing there? IMO, only way he doesn't get waived is an injury to another guy or maybe as 13th/14th F and even that might be tough with the numbers crunch and guys like Leipsic/Goldobin also requiring waivers.

Gaunce lol? Why are people talking about Gaunce as if he is a NHL caibre player?  Moreover taking a roster spot opening night?  I'll delete my precious CDC account if that happens.  Granlund and Gagner are good as gone as far as I am concerned and the sooner the better.  Eriksson should be gone but we all know that anchor aint moving any time soon. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I am too, still don't see room for him.

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen/Eriksson

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

And that's without a kid (like Gaudette) forcing his way on to one of those lines as well.

Who's Gaunce displacing there? IMO, only way he doesn't get waived is an injury to another guy or maybe as 13th/14th F and even that might be tough with the numbers crunch and guys like Leipsic/Goldobin also requiring waivers.

Temporarily, Schaller might not be there and long term, Granlund would be his main competition. I think Granlund has more value to JB. A lot depends on what plans JB has for the 13th forward.

Just now, SingleThorn said:

Temporarily, Schaller might not be there and long term, Granlund would be his main competition. I think Granlund has more value to JB. A lot depends on what plans JB has for the 13th forward.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And Granlund is certainly the one to be looking over his shoulder at the Gaudette train coming his way IMO. They fill a similar role (2 way forward with both enough skill and defensive play to play up and down the lineup at W or C).

Gaunce doesn't likely displace Granlund now nor Gaudette long term.

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Gaunce lol? Why are people talking about Gaunce as if he is a NHL caibre player?  Moreover taking a roster spot opening night?  I'll delete my precious CDC account if that happens.  Granlund and Gagner are good as gone as far as I am concerned and the sooner the better.  Eriksson should be gone but we all know that anchor aint moving any time soon. 

Too many posters make these absolute statements. Most don't keep their promises.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Virtanen wasn't sheltered last year. He was used pretty defensively. Which I think is good, Green trusts him defensively maybe?

Even better - he would need to add leadership, size, and defensive awareness playing with two rookies. With 140 games under his belt I think Virt understands the pro game - he just needs more confidence offensively. 

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Due to their past comments I'm not so sure, especially JB who said he envisioned "four fast-skating scoring lines".  And if the above is true, then the likes of Leipsic and Goldy are really on thin ice with Dahlen showing so well so far.  In fact, Baertschi may find himself in the middle-six in short order too, unless it's been decided to have Eriksson and Granlund around strictly as checkers.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Due to their past comments I'm not so sure, especially JB who said he envisioned "four fast-skating scoring lines".  And if the above is true, then the likes of Leipsic and Goldy are really on thin ice with Dahlen showing so well so far.  In fact, Baertschi may find himself in the middle-six in short order too, unless it's been decided to have Eriksson and Granlund around strictly as checkers.

You may well be right ! The 2x pure defensive lines is a conclusion I jumped to when Beagle/ Roussel / Schaller were signed. JB ( or maybe it was TG ) stated that Sutter was so good when given a specific roll. Beagle and Sutter both seem best suited for defensive work. I have no idea how much more offense is expected from Sutter with Beagle on board.  Training camp will answer many, many questions that many of us have !

But is Gaudette better off playing 10 minutes a night up here on say 4th line RW or 18+ minutes in Utica as 1C in all situations and honing his offence with injury call ups and eventually a 'permanent' trade/TDL call up?

Time will tell.

The best thing for gaudette game to grow isn’t just putting up big offense. He’s already done that in the NCAA. He’s going to be 22 in less than a month. The best thing for him right now, is to learn off some real veterans who know what it takes to win. I can’t see any better spot for him then to be playing on the same roster as sutter and beagle. 

Gaudette can play sheltered minutes behind to those two strong defensive centers and really ease his game into the nhl. I wouldnt really consider it a 4th line deployment either. He could still get 12-15 minutes. 

Id say as of right now he’s more developed and NHL ready than a 19 year old bo horvat was when we kept him in the nhl as a rookie, and on a playoff team no less.  As long Gaudette keeps up with a strong camp he should be on the team come October. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2