The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Due to their past comments I'm not so sure, especially JB who said he envisioned "four fast-skating scoring lines".  And if the above is true, then the likes of Leipsic and Goldy are really on thin ice with Dahlen showing so well so far.  In fact, Baertschi may find himself in the middle-six in short order too, unless it's been decided to have Eriksson and Granlund around strictly as checkers.

4 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

You may well be right ! The 2x pure defensive lines is a conclusion I jumped to when Beagle/ Roussel / Schaller were signed. JB ( or maybe it was TG ) stated that Sutter was so good when given a specific roll. Beagle and Sutter both seem best suited for defensive work. I have no idea how much more offense is expected from Sutter with Beagle on board.  Training camp will answer many, many questions that many of us have !

To be fair a 'defensive' line of Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson/Virtanen/Granlund/Leipsic will likely do a fair job of both.

Edited by aGENT

Gaunce will make the Canucks just like Jordan Subban will make the Leafs.  Oh wait, Leafs' D sucks, so maybe Subban will lol 

Saying Gaunce has to have a great camp is an understatement. He'll have to beat out most of these guys to earn a spot:

Pettersson

Dahlen

Goldobin

Leipsic

Gaudette

Motte

Kero

Archibald

Boucher

Lind

Ship has sailed IMO.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gaunce will make the Canucks just like Jordan Subban will make the Leafs.  Oh wait, Leafs' D sucks, so maybe Subban will lol 

Saying Gaunce has to have a great camp is an understatement. He'll have to beat out most of these guys to earn a spot:

Pettersson  - top 6

Dahlen  - top 6

Goldobin - no

Leipsic - maybe

Gaudette - yes, but probably not 4th LW

Motte - not this year

Kero - who?

Archibald - speaking of ships sailing

Boucher - his ship has sailed already

Lind - not this year

Ship has sailed IMO. - not as much as you think.

On 9/8/2018 at 6:28 PM, Alflives said:

Exactly.  If Gaudette, or any young guy, proves (over a period of time) they are better than an older guy, then JB will create room.

Over a period of time is key here. I'm not convinced that it will be at the beginning of the season and I believe JB is paying lip service to fans media and the players themselves when he says he's going to make room for the young guys.

We have to remember that roster decisions are going to be dictated by Green and the team he wants to ice. Green has shown from his time playing and coaching in the AHL and last season that he is always going to side with the veteran player. This stems from his own experience and how his time in the AHL benefited him personally. I also believe his own opinions about asset management, and how he would like to keep as much organizational depth as possible, will factor into the opening roster. 

Here is an excerpt from a recent interview seen here. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-coach-green-impressive-prospects-linden-ownership/

"It’s not very often a team has four or five rookies who are ready to play in the NHL. We have a good amount of prospects who have a real good chance to play in the NHL (eventually). And we have to make sure we do right by them and make sure we put them into areas where they can succeed and develop into the right player in the right situation. We don’t want a high-end skill player to have to play those hard, grinding minutes (on the fourth line) where they might not succeed."

Personally I would love to see Dahlen and Gaudette push out a couple of vets, I just don't see it happening out of camp.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

Personally I would love to see Dahlen and Gaudette push out a couple of vets, I just don't see it happening out of camp.

If Gaudette brings his 200 ft game to the preseason and beyond with consistency he will IMO make the team. We had a lot of veterans that were not putting much effort into the back check with speed. Gaudette and Pettersson may both make the team for that very reason and a couple of vets that don't bring it in both directions will be on the move

• Upvote 2

In my opinion it would be assinine to not give leipsic,goldy,granlund,motte,gaunce,hutton and other bubble waiver eligable players a real chance to make a go of it as canucks before ever risking a loss to waivers.I also believe that benning means what he says about "earning a spot" they will get it, even though it may not be given on the opening day roster.Management will need time to assess what they have , what their worth ,could they pass waivers if they had to and overall if they didn't ,how much would that effect depth.I would love to see if anything at most petterson  make the team. All others who "earned their spot" be inserted in the line up when injuries occur or making available trades of  the  players they determine expendable after some evaluation this year.The beginning of the year may be 1 of the safest to waive players as many other teams are in a feeling out process also, but id like to see management take a good look first as many players have put in a bit o extra work over the summer.To have such a strong group play together as a team in Utica for a few months would do wonders to bond and then carry that bond up with them.We will see plenty of youth injected this year why rush it . 

4 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

In my opinion it would be assinine to not give leipsic,goldy,granlund,motte,gaunce,hutton and other bubble waiver eligable players a real chance to make a go of it as canucks before ever risking a loss to waivers.I also believe that benning means what he says about "earning a spot" they will get it, even though it may not be given on the opening day roster.Management will need time to assess what they have , what their worth ,could they pass waivers if they had to and overall if they didn't ,how much would that effect depth.I would love to see if anything at most petterson  make the team. All others who "earned their spot" be inserted in the line up when injuries occur or making available trades of  the  players they determine expendable after some evaluation this year.The beginning of the year may be 1 of the safest to waive players as many other teams are in a feeling out process also, but id like to see management take a good look first as many players have put in a bit o extra work over the summer.To have such a strong group play together as a team in Utica for a few months would do wonders to bond and then carry that bond up with them.We will see plenty of youth injected this year why rush it . 

I never said anything about not giving them a chance but they had better bring it this preseason or they most assuridly will be on their way out of town. That is what competition is all about and finally we have a group of young up and comers that are going to challenge the vets to be either better or be gone.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If Gaudette brings his 200 ft game to the preseason and beyond with consistency he will IMO make the team. We had a lot of veterans that were not putting much effort into the back check with speed. Gaudette and Pettersson may both make the team for that very reason and a couple of vets that don't bring it in both directions will be on the move

Gaudette and Pettersson, barring injuries, are in our opening night line-up.  

I could see Gaudette cantering his own line; the kid is that good.  I think Pettersson will play both wing and centre.

Dahlen might surprise, and make the team out of camp too.  He’s better than Leipsic and Goldy.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlen might surprise, and make the team out of camp too.  He’s better than Leipsic and Goldy.  

If Leipsic and Goldy don't bring their "A" game to the show considering all the competition there is going to be then they may get outplayed by Dahlen. If so then I guess they are masters of their own fate.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

If Leipsic and Goldy don't bring their "A" game to the show considering all the competition there is going to be then they may get outplayed by Dahlen. If so then I guess they are masters of their own fate.

Leipsic, and Goldy are at the age now where it’s put up, or off to Europe.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I never said anything about not giving them a chance but they had better bring it this preseason or they most assuridly will be on their way out of town. That is what competition is all about and finally we have a group of young up and comers that are going to challenge the vets to be either better or be gone.

I didn't accuse anyone about not giving them a chance. I honestly believe with the Sedins gone there will be different options available with different line mates. Maybe they are given different assignments from the options they had last year.Who Knows why rush anything at the risk of losing another unnecessarily when no harm will come in taking it cautiously.Are we cup contenders?

1 minute ago, Dannydog said:

I didn't accuse anyone about not giving them a chance. I honestly believe with the Sedins gone there will be different options available with different line mates. Maybe they are given different assignments from the options they had last year.Who Knows why rush anything at the risk of losing another unnecessarily when no harm will come in taking it cautiously.Are we cup contenders?

Depending on what coach Green chooses to do, he has the option of carrying 14 forwards and 7 d-men into the season and I am expecting that is just what he will do. Also of note is that if Tim Schaller is not cleared to go at the start of the season they have the option of putting him on injured reserve to start the season and that is one more spot that will be open at least in the shot term.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Over a period of time is key here. I'm not convinced that it will be at the beginning of the season and I believe JB is paying lip service to fans media and the players themselves when he says he's going to make room for the young guys.

We have to remember that roster decisions are going to be dictated by Green and the team he wants to ice. Green has shown from his time playing and coaching in the AHL and last season that he is always going to side with the veteran player. This stems from his own experience and how his time in the AHL benefited him personally. I also believe his own opinions about asset management, and how he would like to keep as much organizational depth as possible, will factor into the opening roster. 

Here is an excerpt from a recent interview seen here. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-coach-green-impressive-prospects-linden-ownership/

"It’s not very often a team has four or five rookies who are ready to play in the NHL. We have a good amount of prospects who have a real good chance to play in the NHL (eventually). And we have to make sure we do right by them and make sure we put them into areas where they can succeed and develop into the right player in the right situation. We don’t want a high-end skill player to have to play those hard, grinding minutes (on the fourth line) where they might not succeed."

I think that there is a difference between what a fan thinks is "ready" and what coaches and management think.

Also, making room may not be as instant as people would like.  It could take a few weeks or months even in the interest of asset management.  Benning has shown in the past that he is willing do make room as he says.  Examples would be Boeser and Stecher

Who has a chance imo?  A good chance:  Pettersson, Gaudette

A fair chance:  Dahlen, Juolevi, Demko

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that there is a difference between what a fan thinks is "ready" and what coaches and management think.

Also, making room may not be as instant as people would like.  It could take a few weeks or months even in the interest of asset management.  Benning has shown in the past that he is willing do make room as he says.  Examples would be Boeser and Stecher

Who has a chance imo?  A good chance:  Pettersson, Gaudette

A fair chance:  Dahlen, Juolevi, Demko

I don't always agree on your take on things but IMO you are bang on in the logic of making room for some of the prospects but the wildcards in all of this are injuries that may happen in camp and the preseason as well as a young prospect or two that blow the doors off and make it very difficult to send them to the minors.