The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Gaudette continues into training camp with the fire that he's shown in the Young Stars tournament, he'll more than earn a spot on the roster. That kind of drive is what this team needs.

I heard Pierre McGuire yesterday talking about Gaudette.  He knows the kid well, and has seen him play a lot.  He says Adam is a top six NHL player, and the pick was another steal by JB.  I can see Adam playing in our top three centers this season, and eating up 18 minutes/ night.  He's just that good. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

My bad.....The quality of each GDT thread directly impacts a win or loss.... more gifs = more goals. 

Whew.   For a second there I was worried all of this was for naught.   :lol:

Back to reality, Gagner is a very versatile player but if Gaudette is ready, then there is not much Gagner does that Gaudette cannot replace.    That's my opinion anyway though Travis hasn't called asking for it yet.   

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Except I don’t view granlund as a center where as gagner is. 

I think granlund is in direct comp with dahlen. 

Petterson bo brock

_____ Sutter virtanen

sven gaudette LE

schaller beagle roussel

which means if gagner is waived/traded that realistically leaves the following LWer dahlen, goldi, granny, Leipsic gaunce are all competing for the final wing spot. Depending who proves themselves line could change but that’s how I’d look at the lines heading into the season. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Petterson bo brock

_____ Sutter virtanen

sven gaudette LE

schaller beagle roussel

which means if gagner is waived/traded that realistically leaves the following LWer dahlen, goldi, granny, Leipsic gaunce are all competing for the final wing spot. Depending who proves themselves line could change but that’s how I’d look at the lines heading into the season. 

That's great and all but:

49 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Beacuse where you have him pencilled in doesn’t mean thats where others believe he will slot in.

I don't think either of them are particularly full time C's but that's not really the point.

Granlund/Gaudette have far more similar skill sets AKA him and Gagner aren't really in competition for a spot (Gaudette's not competing for a 13th F/waiver/trade 'spot'). The other point being that should AG push his way on to the roster (quite possible, even likely), he will push other players down and someone at the bottom, off. Could be Schaller, could be Granlund. 

Yee haw camp's gun'be fun this year!

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Are Gagner and Gaudette even in competition for a spot? Why is this a thing? I mean if Gagner isn't waived/traded I have him penciled in as 13th/14th F at this point. Is that where people want Gaudette?

I and by the look of it, others think they are as well. I think Sutter might be tried as the #2 C at the start of camp and Gaudette as the #3 C. The other scenario might be Gagner or Granlund as the #2 C with Sutter as the #3 C and Gaudette on his wing. However it plays out; Gagner will be gone by the trade deadline if not before. In a lot of ways, having Gaudette play on the wing with Sutter at C might be a great way to transition him in for where he likely will be playing in the near future.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's great and all but:

I don't think either of them are particularly full time C's but that's not really the point.

Granlund/Gaudette have far more similar skill sets AKA him and Gagner aren't really in competition for a spot (Gaudette's not competing for a 13th F/waiver/trade 'spot'). The other point being that should AG push his way on to the roster (quite possible, even likely), he will push other players down and someone at the bottom, off. Could be Schaller, could be Granlund. 

Yee haw camp's gun'be fun this year!

It doesn’t hurt to have multiple players with a similar skill set. Especially when that skill set is a two way forwards. Position plays a major roll in who a players competition is. Considering granny is a LW and gaudette is a center I don’t see them as competing against each other. 

I’m curious to see what your pencilled in line up looks like.  

36 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It doesn’t hurt to have multiple players with a similar skill set. Especially when that skill set is a two way forwards. Position plays a major roll in who a players competition is. Considering granny is a LW and gaudette is a center I don’t see them as competing against each other. 

I’m curious to see what your pencilled in line up looks like.  

Granny is a W'er conversion who can fill in at C. Gaudette could just as easily start on W as C up here (Gaudette, Horvat, Boeser?) even if he's likely a C long term.

Extremely lightly penciled since we haven't had camp yet...

Leipsic/Goldobin (platooned IMO), Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson/Virtanen

Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson/Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

Spares: Gagner, Goldobin/Leipsic (platooned)

Obviously a lot of those wingers are VERY fluid... Virtanen/Eriksson/Leipsic/Granlund could theoretically play on any line. Baer/Goldobin (and Gagner should he be a spare and not waived/traded) pretty much an offensive role only. Should Gaudette earn a starting role he likely bumps someone out of the top 9, and they, someone out of the bottom 3 (or they've failed to make the cut *ahem* Goldobin...).

Regardless of what happens at/shortly after camp, I don't see all of Baer/Granlund/Gagner/Goldobin/Leipsic surviving the year. At least a couple are bound to be moved to make room for Gaudette, Dahlen etc as the rebuild progresses. Whether that's at the start of the season, mid season, TDL etc...we'll see.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Wild prediction : Barring injury, Gagner ends up in Chicago.

What does Minnesota have to do with this?   :ph34r:

BTW - that rumour has been around since about Christmas 2017-18.   He fills a few necessary holes for the Hawks at a reasonable price/term.     My guess is that there is a conceptual swap at least at the "could happen" stage and it is all dependent on if players emerge in Vancouver (to make him redundant) or emerge in Chicago (and therefore no longer a need).    

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Petterson bo brock

_____ Sutter virtanen

sven gaudette LE

schaller beagle roussel

_____ Sutter Virtanen > Roussel seems the obvious inclusion with Sutter Virtanen?

Interesting line. Speed, good on the boards, all can shoot.

A bit of a thud or thunk when it comes to handling the puck though. They may use Eriksson for that reason? Maybe that is Leipsi's, he has some spit and vinegar in his game, landing spot? 

I really like the 3rd line with Gawd & EP on the top line, the players with them. Ideal ways to bring them into the NHL.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

_____ Sutter Virtanen > Roussel seems the obvious inclusion with Sutter Virtanen?

Interesting line. Speed, good on the boards, all can shoot.

A bit of a thud or thunk when it comes to handling the puck though. They may use Eriksson for that reason? Maybe that is Leipsi's, he has some spit and vinegar in his game, landing spot? 

I really like the 3rd line with Gawd & EP on the top line, the players with them. Ideal ways to bring them into the NHL.

I also like the idea of Leip on a line with Roussel and Sutter. Still has bite to his game but also brings some complimentary play making. But the top line could also use that skill set as well...

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Both Gags and Eriksson add leadership and Eriksson is one of our top defensive forwards. Additionally, both of them missed a fair bit of games (Gagner missed 8 games and Eriksson missed a whopping 32 games) so it's fair to assume that they would both have had more than 10 goals in 82 games, which is presumably what you're basing your projections for Dahlen and Gaudette. Finally, you're ignoring the value of assists, which Gagner had more than twice the amount of his goals. 

I'm not saying Gaudette and Dahlen should or shouldn't make the team,  but basing it solely off goals scored in a season is extraordinarily simplistic and ignores a plethora of other factors.

Yeah, but then you actually watch the games and see how much of a non factor both Gags and LE are majority of the nights and their 'leadership and other factors' gets thrown out the window.  They need to go.  When the GM basically says it was his fault for a signing that tells you everything you need to know.  Chalk it up as a disaster and move on, playing these guys can be detrimental to the team, especially the younger players.  

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I also like the idea of Leip on a line with Roussel and Sutter. Still has bite to his game but also brings some complimentary play making. But the top line could also use that skill set as well...

I was thinking Leipsic as the puck skill guy on a line with Sutter & Virtanen

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I was thinking Leipsic as the puck skill guy on a line with Sutter & Virtanen

That would work as well (though I see Roussel/Sutter as a very nice complimentary pair just like Sutter and Dors were).

But again, Horvat and Boeser could use that skill set too...

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Granny is a W'er conversion who can fill in at C. Gaudette could just as easily start on W as C up here (Gaudette, Horvat, Boeser?) even if he's likely a C long term.

Extremely lightly penciled since we haven't had camp yet...

Leipsic/Goldobin (platooned IMO), Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson/Virtanen

Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson/Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

Spares: Gagner, Goldobin/Leipsic (platooned)

Obviously a lot of those wingers are VERY fluid... Virtanen/Eriksson/Leipsic/Granlund could theoretically play on any line. Baer/Goldobin (and Gagner should he be a spare and not waived/traded) pretty much an offensive role only. Should Gaudette earn a starting role he likely bumps someone out of the top 9, and they, someone out of the bottom 3 (or they've failed to make the cut *ahem* Goldobin...).

Regardless of what happens at/shortly after camp, I don't see all of Baer/Granlund/Gagner/Goldobin/Leipsic surviving the year. At least a couple are bound to be moved to make room for Gaudette, Dahlen etc as the rebuild progresses. Whether that's at the start of the season, mid season, TDL etc...we'll see.

I like those lines under the circumstances that petterson proves he’s capable of playing center. If he doesn’t, between gagner gaudette and a slim chance that we play granlund there(although I don’t see him being in the conversation as a center at this point). Gaudette would be my leading candidate for that spot (assuming his play doesn’t take a massive noes dive in camp). 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I like those lines under the circumstances that petterson proves he’s capable of playing center. If he doesn’t, between gagner gaudette and a slim chance that we play granlund there(although I don’t see him being in the conversation as a center at this point). Gaudette would be my leading candidate for that spot (assuming his play doesn’t take a massive noes dive in camp). 

After what EP did last year, I refuse to put any limits on that kid :lol: He might take some time to adjust but it will not remotely surprise me to see him play C. Particularly with sheltered 'Sedin' usage (high o-zone starts, PP time etc).

But yes, should he fail to secure the C position, our next best option could very well be AG (assuming no nose dive, as you stated).

That would work as well (though I see Roussel/Sutter as a very nice complimentary pair just like Sutter and Dors were).

But again, Horvat and Boeser could use that skill set too...

Maybe my impressions of Roussel are not correct?

I like his hockey play, LOVE his compete. More so that he competes on the boards, in puck battles and does stuff with the puck after winning it, good in tight. That's where he is best IMO. Plus the edge he is known for...

But I have never seen him as a fast player? A component I want on Sutter's wings?

He has ''NHL'' speed, but is he actually fast?      

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe my impressions of Roussel are not correct?

I like his hockey play, LOVE his compete. More so that he competes on the boards, in puck battles and does stuff with the puck after winning it, good in tight. That's where he is best IMO. Plus the edge he is known for...

But I have never seen him as a fast player? A component I want on Sutter's wings?

He has ''NHL'' speed, but is he actually fast?      

I'd say he's 'above average' but certainly not in the 'elite' category of a McDavid, Barzal (or our own Hughes) etc. Pretty on par with Dors.

I'd say he's 'above average' but certainly not in the 'elite' category of a McDavid, Barzal (or our own Hughes) etc. Pretty on par with Dors.

I guess I'll watch.

Like with Burr, the thing I loved about Dorsett was his motor. Skated his arse off, every shift.  And battled till he dropped. Less effectively to my eye than Roussel who is bigger and stronger. I do credit also as having his engine always working. But I never saw him as quick.  Dorsett did have some wheels, covered some ice.

Maybe my bad...

In the meantime, I LOVE Gaudettes motor as well! I have a feeling he will be my favorite player of the next ten years for the Nucks.  Catches people all over the ice!