The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

3 hours ago, NameFaker said:

Massive improvements.

But, as the article points out, the probability of his success (his pGPS) varies week to week. 

These numbers are a snapshot and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Elvis got fat and died on his toilet.

Ya, I agree, but it just goes to show how in accurate a snapshot assesment of a player can be at the time of the draft. I'm not saying pGPS is useless, just that no matter where a player is at the time of the draft they can easily go up or down depending on their next year. Everything is relative to the next year with players. Maybe they should use an aggregated system like they do with hero charts that takes a players previous 3 years into account with different weights to allow for less year to year variance. 

@elvis15 is that true about you? Thought you were still kickin?

Did a quick calculation and using a 3 year weighted system Gaudette is showing:

A WpGPS "<-- coined it" relative to a 22.2% first year 33.3% second year and 44.4% third of:

WpGPS of 52%

WxProd/82 of 45

Seems more reasonable to me

Edited by Derp...

18 hours ago, Derp... said:

http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/23/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-5-adam-gaudette

Guys he made it to 100% pGPS. After being basically 0% at the draft lol.

The full turn around is complete!

Gaudette has definitely made for some fun stats watching this season. Some of the "greatest hits" from the CA article:

- "At this moment, he is tied for eighth in the NCAA in points, while his PPG rate has him seventh. His 16 power-play points have him ranked fifth."

"His shots/per game rate is 4.35 S/PG, good for seventh in the NCAA. He currently has 100 shots this season, which is already more than he has last year (96) in 18 fewer games. His SH% was 12.5% last year and is currently at 13% (13 goals on 100 shots) this season."

"Out of the 23 games that Gaudette has suited up for, he has posted points in 18, with one of the zero point games being a game that was suspended after two periods due to a Zamboni malfunction. He has never gone more than one game without a point."

"Gaudette currently leads all NCAA sophomore in points, A/GP (0.91), P/GP(1.48), PPG (8) and PPP (16)."

"Another impressive stat is that Gaudette is tied for 101st in NCAA sophomore in PIM, which is a much lower when looking at the whole NCAA. His work ethic and tenacity are consistently praised, and usually that lends one's self to penalty trouble, but Gaudette's playing the game in a rough way without putting his team at a disadvantage."

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

It's not a big question mark. 

Of course it is, most D-men's ceilings are.

At this point he could end up anywhere from an elite number 1 to just a solid 3-4 guy. So much has to go right in a defenseman's development for them to become a true number 1.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At this point he could end up anywhere from an elite number 1 to just a solid 3-4 guy. So much has to go right in a defenseman's development for them to become a true number 1.

A solid top four dman is super valuable, isn't it?  

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A "projected ceiling" is far different than where he actually ends up in the end. He can still be a solid 3-4 guy with a "#1 ceiling" that he never met in the end - much like Edler never truly met his ceiling. You seem to be conflating the two. 

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

A "projected ceiling" is far different than where he actually ends up in the end. He can still be a solid 3-4 guy with a "#1 ceiling" that he never met in the end - much like Edler never truly met his ceiling. You seem to be conflating the two. 

Right now I wouldn't say his projected ceiling is a number 1, it's too early to tell. Hence the question mark.

Not confusing anything.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Right now I wouldn't say his projected ceiling is a number 1, it's too early to tell. Hence the question mark.

Not confusing anything.

If you say "he could end up anywhere from an elite number 1 to just a solid 3-4 guy" that means you are conflating the two ideas. If you think he could end up as an elite number 1, then that is his ceiling. Whether he reaches that ceiling is another point. If you don't think his ceiling is a number 1, then make that point, but don't conflate the two different ideas. 

Anyways, how about this Gaudette kid? What's his ceiling at these days?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

If you say "he could end up anywhere from an elite number 1 to just a solid 3-4 guy" that means you are conflating the two ideas. If you think he could end up as an elite number 1, then that is his ceiling. Whether he reaches that ceiling is another point. If you don't think his ceiling is a number 1, then make that point, but don't conflate the two different ideas. 

Anyways, how about this Gaudette kid? What's his ceiling at these days?

I said I don't know what his ceiling is, it could be anything. I'm not putting any sort of guess what it could be. Not "conflating" anything, you're just confused.

If you wanna talk about Gaudette stop trying to drag on an argument about Juolevi.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I said I don't know what his ceiling is, it could be anything. I'm not putting any sort of guess what it could be. Not "conflating" anything, you're just confused.

If you wanna talk about Gaudette stop trying to drag on an argument about Juolevi.

I wonder which between Gaudette and Lockwood will become the more impactful NHL player?  

Just now, DeNiro said:

Saying it could be anything doesn't really position you in the discussion at all and thus makes it look you are indeed confused yourself - as your conflating of points demonstrates. 

I would say Gaudette at this point has raised his ceiling to a solid 3rd line center. But, as we have seen with Cassels, that ceiling might change once he hits the next stage of his career. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I wonder which between Gaudette and Lockwood will become the more impactful NHL player?  

I think Gaudette has the better chance just based on his overall game.

But man watching Lockwood when he's on is fun. That guy can make things happen all over the ice.

If we can get two NHLers out of these guys that will be a huge win.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think Gaudette has the better chance just based on his overall game.

But man watching Lockwood when he's on is fun. That guy can make things happen all over the ice.

If we can get two NHLers out of these guys that will be a huge win.

JB seems to really be able to find guys in the later rounds.  Maybe we get a Goudreau kind of player?