The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:06 AM, aGENT said:

I also like the idea of Leip on a line with Roussel and Sutter. Still has bite to his game but also brings some complimentary play making. But the top line could also use that skill set as well...

You are higher on Leipsic than me.

He's entering his draft + 7 season. If he had true top line NHL skillsets? He would have more than 6 career goals by now.

• Like 1

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

You are higher on Leipsic than me.

He's entering his draft + 7 season. If he had true top line NHL skillsets? He would have more than 6 career goals by now.

It's not a matter of being 'higher' on him. It's a matter of fit IMO.

Gordie love him but was Burrows a 'top line' player when he was playing with the twins? And that was a FAR better team.

Fact of the matter is that we lack bonafide top 6 players period. But that line could use someone with bite who's also a play maker. 'Legit' 1st liner or not. We're shy of options for that role (though who knows, maybe Dahlen or Gaudette fit that bill?)

Horvat and Boeser are good enough to carry a 'lesser' third player on their line and that allows us to spread our few legit top 6 players around to create a second, sheltered scoring line.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Gordie love him but was Burrows a 'top line' player when he was playing with the twins? And that was a FAR better team.

Fact of the matter is that we lack bonafide top 6 players period. But that line could use someone with bite who's also a play maker. 'Legit' 1st liner or not. We're shy of options for that role (though who knows, maybe Dahlen or Gaudette fit that bill?)

Horvat and Boeser are good enough to carry a 'lesser' third player on their line and that allows us to spread our few legit top 6 players around to create a second, sheltered scoring line.

Pretty good, and pretty fair to the player post. 

My eval; Leipsic has some skills. And he shares some traits, including being willing to play an edgy game in spite of slightly lower than average size, with Burr. I don't mind the comparison. Leipsic is at the same age as Burrows when he was about to first get NHL shifts, 42 games & 4th line duties in 05/06. Its fair that Leipsic could elevate his game IMO? 

But while Leipsic is willing to agitate? I don't see the same jump over the boards & skate till u puke, live like this shift is my last outlook. Which also gave Burrows endurance, cuz he did it every shift, of every practice, of every game. And trained his ass off in between. Which made him effective as a 4th line checker as he routinely outlasted very good NHL athletes at the end of hard skated shifts with Kess. I don't see that endurance, and complete commitment. Even if I see more skills in Leipsic than we had seen in Burrows in that time frame? Leipsic was gassed at the end of a lot of shifts last year. Which also saw him sometimes show speed, sometimes get burned when he could not keep it up. A reflection of his conditioning?

Leipsic has a chance to be a ''Mike Santorelli'' type? If he takes the step referred above. Where suddenly he realizes he has to put in a level of commitment he never has. Decides he wants to be an NHL player, understands what he did before, even if he had ''skills,'' was not actually enough. Santorell, an example of similar skills, even had more success than Leipsic, but was still run out of Florida for a similar shortcomings early in his career. Then showed up at Tortorella's 1st & only pre-season camp. And outran everyone, including the Sedins legendary for their aerobic herculean fitness levels. And played each shift like Burrows had done for years. Then to stay, which Mike could not keep up, he's going to have to duplicate it year after year.

Look, every odd year there is one Yanni Gourde, or Jake Guentzel, (or Burrows) from 10 guys per 30 odd teams. Who slogged in the minors for years that surfaces with skill. Lands a job with a top talent and ''suddenly'' becomes a top line contributor? But I'm not holding my breath. 

I like Baertschi, a much better natural athlete, his chances better. And Dahlen, and Gadjovich. But I will certainly cheer for Leipsic if he has put in the effort required, defeats those odds!

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Pretty good, and pretty fair to the player post. 

My eval; Leipsic has some skills. And he shares some traits, including being willing to play an edgy game in spite of slightly lower than average size, with Burr. I don't mind the comparison. Leipsic is at the same age as Burrows when he was about to first get NHL shifts, 42 games & 4th line duties in 05/06. Its fair that Leipsic could elevate his game IMO? 

But while Leipsic is willing to agitate? I don't see the same jump over the boards & skate till u puke, live like this shift is my last outlook. Which also gave Burrows endurance, cuz he did it every shift, of every practice, of every game. And trained his ass off in between. Which made him effective as a 4th line checker as he routinely outlasted very good NHL athletes at the end of hard skated shifts with Kess. I don't see that endurance, and complete commitment. Even if I see more skills in Leipsic than we had seen in Burrows in that time frame? Leipsic was gassed at the end of a lot of shifts last year. Which also saw him sometimes show speed, sometimes get burned when he could not keep it up. A reflection of his conditioning?

Leipsic has a chance to be a ''Mike Santorelli'' type? If he takes the step referred above. Where suddenly he realizes he has to put in a level of commitment he never has. Decides he wants to be an NHL player, understands what he did before, even if he had ''skills,'' was not actually enough. Santorell, an example of similar skills, even had more success than Leipsic, but was still run out of Florida for a similar shortcomings early in his career. Then showed up at Tortorella's 1st & only pre-season camp. And outran everyone, including the Sedins legendary for their aerobic herculean fitness levels. And played each shift like Burrows had done for years. Then to stay, which Mike could not keep up, he's going to have to duplicate it year after year.

Look, every odd year there is one Yanni Gourde, or Jake Guentzel, (or Burrows) from 10 guys per 30 odd teams. Who slogged in the minors for years that surfaces with skill. Lands a job with a top talent and ''suddenly'' becomes a top line contributor? But I'm not holding my breath. 

I like Baertschi, a much better natural athlete, his chances better. And Dahlen, and Gadjovich. But I will certainly cheer for Leipsic if he has put in the effort required, defeats those odds!

Leipsic, like Goldobin, Hutton, Pouliot etc, etc need to have had good summers and need to have it translate if they hope to stick around (here or the NHL in general). Particularly if they hope to do so for more than just this season (or part of it). Kids (like Gaudette) are coming. That's not news.

I like Baer too. Don't like him on Bo's W though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Leipsic, like Goldobin, Hutton, Pouliot etc, etc need to have had good summers and need to have it translate if they hope to stick around (here or the NHL in general). Particularly if they hope to do so for more than just this season (or part of it). Kids (like Gaudette) are coming. That's not news.

I like Baer too. Don't like him on Bo's W though.

Sorry for quoting you twice in 15 mins. 

Why don't you like Baer on Horvats wing?

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yes....yes he was. In 2009 at his highest point totals he was 36th overall point wise in the NHL. He was a first line player. Just saying...

..and I love stats so technically the cut off would be 30th overall...but I would still say he was a 1st line player.

Edit: I sure hope we see Gaudette on the Canucks to start the year. But obviously he has to have a good camp.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

6 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Sorry for quoting you twice in 15 mins. 

Why don't you like Baer on Horvats wing?

Ill fit. Incompatible play styles. Lack chemistry. They're all good players, so they score but... 

To be fair, Boeser isn't particularly a good fit with Horvat long term either IMO. But we're in transition, so...

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

and I love stats so technically the cut off would be 30th overall...but I would still say he was a 1st line player.

*90th actually. But I don't think that's intellectually honest. 

Just now, aGENT said:

Ill fit. Incompatible play styles. Lack chemistry. They're all good players, so they score but... 

To be fair, Boeser isn't particularly a good fit with Horvat long term either IMO. But we're in transition, so...

We'll see what Green thinks. Bo and Sven love playing together and are very successful, so there's proven chemistry. 

I'm kinda chuckling at your reasoning. 

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

We'll see what Green thinks. Bo and Sven love playing together and are very successful, so there's proven chemistry. 

I believe Greener and/or Benning was quoted as saying last year that the top line needs a play maker as Bo and Boeser, to a lesser extent are not play makers.  Goldobn for sure, and maybe Lepsic are better passers than Baertschi (who isn't bad either).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Western Red said:

Funny how Green keeps taking him off that line then and mentioned yesterday how open that left wing spot is and earlier in the summer insinuated that he'd like to see someone else there and maybe Baer with Pettersson... 

Should none of Leipsic/Goldobin/Eriksson/Gaudette/Virtanen/Granlund/Dahlen etc find themselves to be a better fit... sure, Baer might find himself back there. Doesn't make him a good fit though, just the best one we presently have. 

Edited by aGENT

On 9/14/2018 at 6:43 AM, aGENT said:

Funny how Green keeps taking him off that line then and mentioned yesterday how open that left wing spot is and earlier in the summer insinuated that he'd like to see someone else there and maybe Baer with Pettersson... 

Should none of Leipsic/Goldobin/Eriksson/Gaudette/Virtanen/Granlund/Dahlen etc find themselves to be a better fit... sure, Baer might find himself back there. Doesn't make him a good fit though, just the best one we presently have. 

Further to that ^^^ @Western Red, just preseason lines but...

DnOLrgGV4AAhhde.jpg&key=93daa7d3b4a41da4

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2018 at 8:41 PM, AV's Coin said:

I believe Greener and/or Benning was quoted as saying last year that the top line needs a play maker as Bo and Boeser, to a lesser extent are not play makers.  Goldobn for sure, and maybe Lepsic are better passers than Baertschi (who isn't bad either).

Was just going to post something to this effect.  

I think that Boeser is a good play maker but can't set himself up.  Since play making isn't really Horvat's strength, Baertschi has made a good fit to do this in the past.  Other good play makers imo are Goldobin, Leipsic.

I'm curious, let's say the 2nd offensive line is centred by Pettersson with Eriksson picking up the garbage.  Who set's plays set up man for Pettersson 5 v 5, who is obviously a great shooter?  

Candidates for top 6 LW imo are:  Baertschi, Goldobin, Leipsic, Dahlen, Granlund and Gagner (right shot)

On 9/14/2018 at 6:43 AM, aGENT said:

I think the reasoning is that LW is where the numbers are, and the most intense competition.  As Green said, he has an open mind and spots are up for grabs.  He may very well go back to Baertschi in the end.  It depends on how he wants to structure those 2 skill lines.  He may want 1 line that he doesn't have to worry about (and shelter minutes) in which case, Baertschi or even Eriksson may be the top candidate.  Or maybe he goes more for balance and puts a less experienced player with the Horvat line like Goldobin or Leipsic.  In which case, he may bookend Pettersson with more experienced (and defensively responsible) players like Baertschi and Eriksson for example.

It's all spit balling though.  By the end of preseason we should have a better idea.

On 2018-09-13 at 6:45 PM, aGENT said:

*90th actually. But I don't think that's intellectually honest. 

Have to disagree on Baertschi assessment.

The different playing styles is playing a key part in why that line was so successful up until injuries took it's toll on it.

While Boeser was establishing his bar, both Bo and Sven were busy raising theirs.

This is directly because their playing styles complimented each other's. 

I suspect this line will stay together and, once again, see all three eclipse previous stat totals. 

My only fear is injury, once again, derailing success.

I predicted in another thread that, if this line stays together and all three stay healthy, it would achieve the 170 point mark and I stick to it.

On 2018-09-14 at 10:43 AM, aGENT said:

Pettersson with Boeser eventually IMO along with a LW mucker/PF space maker. 

Horvat with Baer/Dalhen/Goldy would be a good line IMO. 

• Cheers 1