The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

some really encouraging things with Gaudette.  He just thinks the game well and always seems to be around the puck.

Problem is not quite there on making decisions quick enough so his instincts aren't translating to points yet.  

Tenacious, decent defensively, not a liability which is pretty good for a rookie.

Not sure he will make the team but if he does will likely be with Sutter on Right and Rousell on left wing for a good agitating line.

I think he will start in Utica though.  Insulate him from some of the loosing and press nastiness while he improves his pro game.

We need to “suck” it up and take our bumps and bruises and just play the youth they need to go through some of these growing pain from the nhl. We are going to be bad and they need NHL Experience not everyone need to be stellar they’re first full season.

I really hope management fits all OJ Guadette and EP in the lineup this year

Edited by Dats hockey

Management/Green will ice a team of players that have (a) big contracts, and (b) are waiver eligible. Pettersson is the exception.

This means Gaudette, Motte, etc. will play in Utica.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - Pettersson - Gagner 

Roussel/Leipsic - Beagle - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen 

Really hoping Benning can trade some of the vets at the TDL, for 2019 picks. We need to hit that podium a lot seeing as it's in Vancouver!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Management/Green will ice a team of players that have (a) big contracts, and (b) are waiver eligible. Pettersson is the exception.

Really hoping Benning can trade some of the vets at the TDL, for 2019 picks. We need to hit that podium a lot seeing as it's in Vancouver!

Barring an amazing uptick in the play of the defense on this team I can see two of them being moved out at the TDL for picks. We may even see one or more forward veterans moved as well. It will be interesting to see what JB does at that time.

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

To be fair in regards to Gaudette, but he belongs in Utica. He needs to make decisions quicker. Speed of the game may have caught him off guard. Motte it makes me sad to see doesn't require waivers. Cause he's outplayed not just all the bubble players but he's even outplayed the regulars. Possibly due to them largely calling it in. Leipsic and Goldy imo don't belong on a starting roster. They've been that average.

On 2018-09-26 at 3:24 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Oops,

Motte on the big club and looking great. 

Gagner waived and is now a Marlie. 

Making room for Gaudette to take prime minutes in Utica.  This is a nod to Gaudette whom management is developing properly. 

He could have played in the NHL this year, but only as a defensive bottom six player. 

Now he can focus on his offensive game as a pro and take the reins in Utica. It’s the Kesler treatment. 

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 4

Gaudette was one of the more noticeable Comets in their 7 - 3 loss to the Marlies last evening.  As the play by play man said "he is a man on a mission to collect his first professional goal".  (He didn't, Boucher had 2)

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Gaudette was one of the more noticeable Comets in their 7 - 3 loss to the Marlies last evening.  As the play by play man said "he is a man on a mission to collect his first professional goal".  (He didn't, Boucher had 2)

I didn’t watch the game, but he had 7 shots on net - the same as Boucher. So, he’s getting his shot through which is a good indication that the goals will come soon enough.

• Upvote 1

On 2018-09-26 at 6:23 PM, N7Nucks said:

To be fair in regards to Gaudette, but he belongs in Utica. He needs to make decisions quicker. Speed of the game may have caught him off guard. Motte it makes me sad to see doesn't require waivers. Cause he's outplayed not just all the bubble players but he's even outplayed the regulars. Possibly due to them largely calling it in. Leipsic and Goldy imo don't belong on a starting roster. They've been that average.

I have no clue where you pulling  these conclusions from.  Gaudette is one of the more effective players in Utica at creating chances and shots on goal, so far he has just been unfortunate.  Time alone will tell, but I see nothing wrong with his decision making.  As for Leipsic and Goldobin, Goldobin already has three points in two games, Leipsic has one in two games.  Goldobin is a plus player, Leipsic is +/- 0.  On the other hand, Baertschi is minus 3, Boeser is -4, and Horvat is -5.  Neither Boeser nor Baertschi have a single point.  Now, I don’t critique Boeser and Baertschi for that, they both lost considerable time to injury, and it may take some time to get their games back.  But the real issue is not that we have a problem scoring goals , we are averaging 4.5 per game - granted in a small sample, but our problem this year, if in fact it is not too early to make such a determination, is not that we can’t score, it is that we can’t defend - at least we didn’t in one game.

i think you are simply inaccurate in calling out Goldobin and Leipsic, and that you don’t have a clue what you are looking at in regard to  Gaudette, about whom it is far too early to draw such a conclusion.  With regard to what few facts are available,  Gaudette is generating about as many chances as Boucher so far, and Boucher is probably Utica’s most effective attacking player.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have no clue where you pulling  these conclusions from.  Gaudette is one of the more effective players in Utica at creating chances and shots on goal, so far he has just been unfortunate.  Time alone will tell, but I see nothing wrong with his decision making.  As for Leipsic and Goldobin, Goldobin already has three points in two games, Leipsic has one in two games.  Goldobin is a plus player, Leipsic is +/- 0.  On the other hand, Baertschi is minus 3, Boeser is -4, and Horvat is -5.  Neither Boeser nor Baertschi have a single point.  Now, I don’t critique Boeser and Baertschi for that, they both lost considerable time to injury, and it may take some time to get their games back.  But the real issue is not that we have a problem scoring goals , we are averaging 4.5 per game - granted in a small sample, but our problem this year, if in fact it is not too early to make such a determination, is not that we can’t score, it is that we can’t defend - at least we didn’t in one game.

i think you are simply inaccurate in calling out Goldobin and Leipsic, and that you don’t have a clue what you are looking at in regard to  Gaudette, about whom it is far too early to draw such a conclusion.  With regard to what few facts are available,  Gaudette is generating about as many chances as Boucher so far, and Boucher is probably Utica’s most effective attacking player.

Gaudette is in Utica, so how is it too soon to conclude he belongs in Utica? And Leipsic and Goldy were average at best at the time of my posting this. If you wanna hit me with the hindsight card fine, but even then Goldy is largely feeding off Pettersson's electric start and Leipsic has done next to nothing in the NHL thus far this season and when Roussel comes back I imagine his name will be one of the first when it comes to who gets waived. 

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaudette is in Utica, so how is it too soon to conclude he belongs in Utica? And Leipsic and Goldy were average at best at the time of my posting this. If you wanna hit me with the hindsight card fine, but even then Goldy is largely feeding off Pettersson's electric start and Leipsic has done next to nothing in the NHL thus far this season and when Roussel comes back I imagine his name will be one of the first when it comes to who gets waived. 

I never claimed Gaudette didn’t belong in Utica, quite the contrary, I dusputed your claim with regard to the speed of his decision making.  As for Goldobin, he is sure as hell outplaying Baertschi, as is Leipsic in limited minutes.  I wouldn’t be much surprised, if that level of play continues, that Baertschi sees himself further down the line up - as has been done in the past to stimulate better play from him.

1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I never claimed Gaudette didn’t belong in Utica, quite the contrary, I dusputed your claim with regard to the speed of his decision making.  As for Goldobin, he is sure as hell outplaying Baertschi, as is Leipsic in limited minutes.  I wouldn’t be much surprised, if that level of play continues, that Baertschi sees himself further down the line up - as has been done in the past to stimulate better play from him.

Well, watching him play. He made decisions too slow. All you have to do is, you know, watch some games. Pay attention to certain names. It gets quite easy when you watch with the intent of seeing certain players. Watched every preseason game and looked for Gaudette a lot, takes too long to make a play. Defensive players would take away the time and space a lot quicker than college players. There was one game in particular where he waited too long to make a pass, had the puck stripped away and it was a easy 2 on 1 the other way that led to a goal.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Well, watching him play. He made decisions too slow. All you have to do is, you know, watch some games. Pay attention to certain names. It gets quite easy when you watch with the intent of seeing certain players. Watched every preseason game and looked for Gaudette a lot, takes too long to make a play. Defensive players would take away the time and space a lot quicker than college players. There was one game in particular where he waited too long to make a pass, had the puck stripped away and it was a easy 2 on 1 the other way that led to a goal.

That happens to most players at some time though. When I watched him at the end of last season it seemed he made decisions just fine but he had no puck luck. Having said that I didn't think he did enough to stay up after pre-season, so a stint in Utica will do him no harm.