The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

2 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I like Roussel and love that he is on our team.  I just see Jake and Josh as more valuable because of their age but you make good points about Roussel. :)

I will have to wait and see how Leivo performs this season, as last season was such a huge leap from his previous showings.

Jake's lapses in attention and consistency make it hard for me to project what his future will look like.  He's still developing his game, so I haven't given up on him.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You're forgetting the key fact that Roussel only played 65 games.

Points-per-game:

Leivo: 0.37 (with Vancouver)

Virtanen: 0.36

Roussel: 0.48

Roussel was a notable step ahead of both the others IMO.

And he brings a few other things even when he isn't scoring ;)

• Cheers 1

On 9/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Gaudette wasn't great at all defensively this game. He isn't ready to center a third line if he continues to struggle on the dot and in his own zone.

Sutter set up a nice chance and broke up a few plays defensively. He just plays a simple game offensively. He isn't as good as Gaudette offensively but he is better on the dot and in his own end. That allows Horvat freedom offensively and gives us 2 dangerous offensive lines. Horvat could put up to 70 points if used more offensively than he was last year.

Don't get me wrong I want Gaudette to take over the role but when he's ready in all aspects. If he's only up here because of his offense then throw him on the wing. Play him 20+ minutes a night in Utica instead of 12 with most of his shifts in his own zone.

I agree.

The offseason additions have ended the necessity to rush our youth's development and push them to the NHL

I believe this strategy really damaged Virtanen's growth and seeing it happen again would be tragic

I am loving what I'm seeing from Gaudette but he needs to play, not sit.

He needs to slow things down in order to fully embrace his skills and maximize his abilities. 

Gaudette is best served by continuing his development in Utica.

Sutter's contract is up in two seasons.

I'm hoping hecan stay healthy and perform well enough to possibly be trade bait next offseason; maybe at the draft which opens up the third line spot for Gaud next year.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:46 AM, hammertime said:

I've been keeping tabs on this. These sites haven't updated Adam's weight in a couple years. Highly unlikely he's still 170 lbs.

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I agree.

The offseason additions have ended the necessity to rush our youth's development and push them to the NHL

I believe this strategy really damaged Virtanen's growth and seeing it happen again would be tragic

I am loving what I'm seeing from Gaudette but he needs to play, not sit.

He needs to slow things down in order to fully embrace his skills and maximize his abilities. 

Gaudette is best served by continuing his development in Utica.

Sutter's contract is up in two seasons.

I'm hoping hecan stay healthy and perform well enough to possibly be trade bait next offseason; maybe at the draft which opens up the third line spot for Gaud next year.

I honestly don't see Gaudette being damaged the way Virtanen was by being gifted an NHL spot at 19. He's shown more competitiveness and maturity in this preseason than I've seen compared to Virtanen in 2015.  

I like Gaudette a lot but what's wrong with him starting the season in Utica?  What's wrong with having an NHL quality player waiting in the wings?  And not just sitting and waiting but getting better while he is waiting for a roster spot to open up.  Competition for roster spots is a good thing, but the flip side of that means that someone who could possibly play in the NHL has to be sent down.  That's what good teams do.  Desperate teams have to have all hands on deck at all times.  It's a good thing not a bad thing to have extra players who can hold their own at the NHL level.  The only issue is how to keep them all.  I think that Benning and Green are both doing fine work.  I trust them to make the right call.  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

You would think the canucks website at least would update it. 

Thats a good point. Because you said this I looked up his weight on the AHL website and it's listed at 183. I *think* he was in at least some of the AHL training camp last year and that might have been when he was last officially weighed.

Could be up to 190 right now if that's the case.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:47 PM, Mrwipeout said:

a lineup right now would be,

Ferland-Petey-Brock

Pearson/Baer-Bo-Miller

Baer/Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Leivo-Beagle-Loui

Hard to see gaud, goldy, motte, roussel unless ur looking for specific roles to fill. Injuries will most likely occur and thats where gaud will fit in. But the competition is tight compared to last season. 

I agree with your exact lineup. Motte and Goldobin are extras to start the year -- Motte fills in for a bottom-6 winger injury and Goldobin for a top-6 winger injury. Gaudette unfortunately will be the sent down for asset management, but will the first callup for an injured centreman. 

Roussel coming off LTIR will force management's hand at making a tough move, should the forward lineup be completely healthy.

2 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Thats a good point. Because you said this I looked up his weight on the AHL website and it's listed at 183. I *think* he was in at least some of the AHL training camp last year and that might have been when he was last officially weighed.

Could be up to 190 right now if that's the case.

I think I got up to 190 last winter.  

I am hoping that Adam turns into a solid 3rd line center but he is 23 years old now.  Will he grow much more?  Can he get stronger?  All possible but he needs to improve his face-offs and defensive game (which is important for a center).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I am hoping that Adam turns into a solid 3rd line center but he is 23 years old now.  Will he grow much more?  Can he get stronger?  All possible but he needs to improve his face-offs and defensive game (which is important for a center).

It's difficult to get a handle on where Adam's career will go.  He will continue to grow in terms of muscle mass and weight, so I expect him to end up in the 180-185 range.  A lean guy, but not underweight.

He still has plenty of time to work on his face-offs and defensive game, but he needs +++ game time, so will probably play in Utica until Christmas (or longer).  If he isn't able to make the adjustment to NHL centerman, they might move him to the wing at some point.  Then it will be up to Madden, or management will have to look outside the organization. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

We have 3 scoring lines with Gaud and Baer having that kind of chemistry.  You make room for a guy playing like this kid does, just like Benning has always done when young players earn spots in camp.

I think if they sent Gaudette down at this point you are sending a bad message to everyone in the system by saying you can’t earn a spot, only given if there is room.

• Upvote 2

On 9/23/2019 at 8:51 AM, higgyfan said:

Roussel plays with some nastiness that adds a quality to the mix that is unique.   He's a very smart player who knows how to get the opposition off their game.  He makes the team more difficult to play against.

And those cellys too