The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

I think if they sent Gaudette down at this point you are sending a bad message to everyone in the system by saying you can’t earn a spot, only given if there is room.

I like the idea of a 3rd line with Gaudette and Baer with maybe Sutter as a defensive winger. That leaves LE - Beagle - Leivo for the fourth line and Motte and Virtanen (as well as Schaller and Goldy) off the team. 

I like that although maybe a bit soft? If I’m reading Green correctly though the 3rd line opening night will be LE - Sutter - Leivo and a 4th with Beagle and Virtanen. Lineup for last preseason game will be interesting! 

I see no reason that Gaudette shouldn't be on this team. If he is sent down over Goldy, Eriksson, or Virt, that would go against the whole "play for a spot" mentality. Gaudette hads played his way into a spot more than others have played their way out.

• Upvote 3

If he makes the team then he should definitely play the wing.

The more I watch him the more I am starting to see him fit playing the wing better than center.

ALSO he could play the top 6 as a winger not having to be in any sort of checking role that he doesn't currently look ready for. Offensively he's definitely there and I wouldn't mind giving him a look with Miller and Horvat.

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

I see no reason that Gaudette shouldn't be on this team. If he is sent down over Goldy, Eriksson, or Virt, that would go against the whole "play for a spot" mentality. Gaudette hads played his way into a spot more than others have played their way out.

In terms of just preseason play I'd add Schaller and Pearson to that list as well.  

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I think if they sent Gaudette down at this point you are sending a bad message to everyone in the system by saying you can’t earn a spot, only given if there is room.

I can see him getting similar treatment as Stecher in his first year. Yeah he gets sent down but he'll be recalled as soon as they make moves/have injuries to make space.

Stecher played 71 games that year he was 'sent down' (to much grumbling by the fanbase/media) FWIW ;) 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I can see him getting similar treatment as Stecher in his first year. Yeah he gets sent down but he'll be recalled as soon as they make moves/have injuries to make space.

Stecher played 71 games that year he was 'sent down' (to much grumbling by the fanbase/media) FWIW ;) 

Yeah, I can't see the Canucks gutting their depth to make immediate room because some players have had a good training camp. One thing you can count on, the instant gratification armchair GMs who are insisting that he must stay up would be the same people who would be crying about "asset management" if JB actually did so.

I agree that Gaudette looks like he belongs on the team, but I don't like the idea of dumping the assets that would be necessary to keep him on the roster and prevent him from playing a handful of games in the AHL to start this season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, I can't see the Canucks gutting their depth to make immediate room because some players have had a good training camp. One thing you can count on, the instant gratification armchair GMs who are insisting that he must stay up would be the same people who would be crying about "asset management" if JB actually did so.

I agree that Gaudette looks like he belongs on the team, but I don't like the idea of dumping the assets that would be necessary to keep him on the roster and prevent him from playing a handful of games in the AHL to start this season.

For sure.  This team has a history of injuries (every season), so it is important to have the depth to get by without dropping in the standings.  Given the injury track record for the Canucks, Gaud will get his chance soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Gaudette has earned his spot.  Clearly better camp than Leivo McEwen Virtanen Eriksson Motte Goldobin Graovac Schaller.

That puts him on the team unless they're hung up on waiver stuff for the guys he has beat out.

Hopefully they say screw that and just give him his spot. 6 points in 6 games.  Hell yeah 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I still see Gaudette being sent down.  He has done everything to earn his way onto the roster, but I just don't see him over seeding Sutter and Beagle.  Unless there is a trade, Sutter and Beagle are not going to be moved to the wing, and not going to be scratched.

Jim Weisbrod and Travis Green both said post game tonight, that if Gaudette is making this team, its not because he was scoring goals but can he play as a bottom six center and be defensively sound.  They don't envision him playing the wing (which I know many will use as the argument to place him there so he is on the roster) and don't seem like they want to use him on the wing.

I honestly would rather have him play 20+ mins in Utica in all situations then have him play maybe 10-12 minutes in a defensive role and not build upon his offensive opportunities.  i want Gaudette to flourish and be extremely successful rather than him making it onto the roster and have him relegated to playing few minutes because TG trusts Sutter and Beagle more.  I think its purely a numbers game...I know people will disagree with me, but I still see the possibility of him being sent down.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Eriksson/ Schaller are not assets. Can always dump them 

• Upvote 2

On 9/26/2019 at 4:24 AM, Qwags said:

The guy has been beastly this preseason.  

Easily the best attacking forward and hungry for the net.  

Let's agree that the top two lines will be ...

Ferland Ep40 Boeser

Pearson/Baer Horvat Miller

Our bottom six is very flexible.  

Gaudette with Baer/Pearson and Virtannen/Sutter.  

Beagle with Leivo/Motte and Virtannen/Eriksson.  

Gravoic, McEwan and Goldy....  

Lots of option, almost too many.  

Too me, Gaudette is pushing everyone.  Too me, he is our next Kesler.  A guy who took a winger spot and did very well until he could graduate to center.  

Gaudette is a NHL caliber LW atm.  A 3rd liner for sure.  

Make it tougher on Green.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I still see Gaudette being sent down.  He has done everything to earn his way onto the roster, but I just don't see him over seeding Sutter and Beagle.  Unless there is a trade, Sutter and Beagle are not going to be moved to the wing, and not going to be scratched.

Jim Weisbrod and Travis Green both said post game tonight, that if Gaudette is making this team, its not because he was scoring goals but can he play as a bottom six center and be defensively sound.  They don't envision him playing the wing (which I know many will use as the argument to place him there so he is on the roster) and don't seem like they want to use him on the wing.

I honestly would rather have him play 20+ mins in Utica in all situations then have him play maybe 10-12 minutes in a defensive role and not build upon his offensive opportunities.  i want Gaudette to flourish and be extremely successful rather than him making it onto the roster and have him relegated to playing few minutes because TG trusts Sutter and Beagle more.  I think its purely a numbers game...I know people will disagree with me, but I still see the possibility of him being sent down.  

I agree. Expectations changed when he won the Hobey Baker. I want him to be as dependable defensively as our captain. Also, it is practically guaranteed that at least one of our centre will get injured. He would get called up for sure. It’s just a matter of when.

The only way I see Gaudette making the team is as a winger (if they want to do that) or in case of injuries, because I still don't see Sutter or Beagle being sent to waivers. I think this pre-season has perhaps elevated him to one of our top prospects now who has shown the offensive flair we all wanted, but I don't feel like there's a place for him on this team unless a trade happens or he somehow waits for Sutter's contract to end. I'm almost wondering how high his value is now and if we could get a prime defensive prospect or maybe even a mid-1st round pick in return for him at this point. It's kind of a shame, because in two or three years, the timing would be perfect, but in a sick twist of timing, he's ready earlier than we thought he'd be.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The only way I see Gaudette making the team is as a winger (if they want to do that) or in case of injuries, because I still don't see Sutter or Beagle being sent to waivers. I think this pre-season has perhaps elevated him to one of our top prospects now who has shown the offensive flair we all wanted, but I don't feel like there's a place for him on this team unless a trade happens or he somehow waits for Sutter's contract to end. I'm almost wondering how high his value is now and if we could get a prime defensive prospect or maybe even a mid-1st round pick in return for him at this point. It's kind of a shame, because in two or three years, the timing would be perfect, but in a sick twist of timing, he's ready earlier than we thought he'd be.

I don't know about others but I feel like he's ready at the exact time we thought he would be, since coming out of college. He's 23 next week, so you expected him to not be ready until 25/26?

I have said this previously, but there is zero chance I move him for a non-top 10 1st

8 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

I don't know about others but I feel like he's ready at the exact time we thought he would be, since coming out of college. He's 23 next week, so you expected him to not be ready until 25/26?

I have said this previously, but there is zero chance I move him for a non-top 10 1st

The age makes sense, but based on what I saw last year, I didn't expect him to be a point per game player in the pre-season. He's improved more than I expected he would. 

• Cheers 1