The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I get that its a more common trend for higher selected players however I wouldn't look at it as a 0% chance of something like this ever happening. Vesey a 3rd rounder just signed with another team and the year before that 4th rounder Mike Rielly signed with another team. I'd say its highly unlikely but I'd never rule something like this out entirely.

No, it's not a zero percent chance, but it's probably less than a one percent chance. Certainly not something worth worrying about.

On 2/1/2017 at 11:11 AM, Mr.53 said:

Adam Gaudette is currently, and as of now looks like he's going to be, the highest scoring sophmore in the NCAA. That's pretty damn good for a 5th round pick. If he keeps developing, he actually has a real shot at making the NHL. Good steal Benning.

On the real though, it seems like Benning has found the secret to good drafting. None - Canadian players. And I don't think that's because Canadian players are bad, of course not. Canadian players are the best in the world. But because of that fact, GMs focus so much attention on the Canadian scouting and picking Canadian guys that often times there's a better American or European player that slipped through to your position. 

• Brock Boeser: An American who shocked most at his talent
  • Nikita Tryamkin: A big russian who was on nobodies radar, and he's already a quality NHL player
  • Adam Gaudette: An American who is now starting to really turn heads as a 20 year old
  • William Lockwood:  An American who is also performing admirably so far

We'll have to see how Finnish Olli Juolevi turns out. (Although he played in North America I know) Still, he even traded for Granlund and Baertschi. He doesn't care where you are from. He just cares about if you're the best player.

But anyway, very impressed with Gaudette.  Keep it up.

Benning casts his net wide.  I would love to see the difference in the amount spent on drafting between the Benning regime and the Gillis regime.  Gillis concentrated on the OHL.

Man i feel behind on the canucks(new baby will do that). Who is this kid?? i know he was a late pick in the boeser draft, but his numbers look extremely promising.

Anyone out there that has watched him play, hows his two way game? are his numbers inflated or does he look like the real deal?

8 minutes ago, Nd1989 said:

Man i feel behind on the canucks(new baby will do that). Who is this kid?? i know he was a late pick in the boeser draft, but his numbers look extremely promising.

Anyone out there that has watched him play, hows his two way game? are his numbers inflated or does he look like the real deal?

Big, talented, hard to play against centre.  

9 hours ago, Nd1989 said:

Benning was on prospect radio on TSN 1040 last night and discussed him in depth. Try digging it up on the Google ;)

• Upvote 2

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 11:11 AM, Nd1989 said:

I think the attached link will give you a pretty good idea of how his season has gone and his potential going forward. He really reminds me of a young Kesler.

You will also see the author expects him to go pro after this season.

January 2017 – The Canucks' 2015 fifth round pick and Northeastern sophomore continues to rack up points with ease this season. His 28 points in 18 games are good for ninth most in the nation and his 1.56 point-per-game output sits 10th best. These are fantastic offensive results for the already competent defensive centre. It sure appears that Vancouver snagged themselves a mid-round gem and it's fairly likely that the Massachusetts native will turn pro at the end of his NCAA team's season. Cam Robinson

http://www.dobberprospects.com/adam-gaudette/

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, suitup said:

I've seen him play and still do. I got to see him play in BU and at NU. I'm not sure if he's planning to turn pro or not, but I honestly don't think it would be a bad idea for Gaudette to stay another year. (Also fun fact, the Finnish Flash's son, Eetu, is going to be playing here next year.) 

He's a good defensive center who is playing with Dylan Sikura and Aston-Reese. He's a defensive center who can both pass and shoot. From what I've seen he plays a pretty good north-south game even being able to generate rushes off the PK. He plays on both the PP and PK unit and is trusted with a lot of minutes. He's a pretty gritty center that does the dirty work, but plays smart at the same time. In the past his footspeed hasn't been particularly impressive, but it's been improving as of late and can continue to do so in my opinion. Those who have seen him play early on will notice that although he's not particularly slow, sometimes he doesn't have the footspeed to go all the way and beat defenders wide. However, it should be noted that he has made a conscious effort to work on that over the summer with a trainer. His shot was also something he tried to improve and is now clearly paying off. This is why you'll see that this season he's been trying to jump on pucks more quickly, as well as generating more rushes and getting off a shot as fast as he can. Which is why you'll see that his game starts to resemble Mike Richards/Kesler's. His cycle game is underrated but you can see it's there when his team has a chance to set up.

Don't worry about his two-way game, it's probably the strongest part of his game in my opinion. His numbers aren't inflated, he does genuinely generate opportunities, but he plays with two other players that are really good in their own regard and they all seem to compliment each other really well. 

By "the real deal" you mean a bonafide top 6 forward, then I would suggest you lighten up on your expectations for the kid. Will he become a top 6 forward someday? Quite possibly. However, I would strongly advise everybody to keep their expectations low (Third line/bottom-six) and be pleasantly surprised if he exceeds those expectations. 

Sounds like we have a great Prospect! Hear he's on Buttons list of 50 as well. Thats pretty good drafting by Benning, getting him in the fifth round. Id say if he makes the team at all, bottom six, then we have an absolute steal on our hands!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, suitup said:

By "the real deal" you mean a bonafide top 6 forward, then I would suggest you lighten up on your expectations for the kid. Will he become a top 6 forward someday? Quite possibly. However, I would strongly advise everybody to keep their expectations low (Third line/bottom-six) and be pleasantly surprised if he exceeds those expectations. 

Yeah top 6 might be leaning optimistic. Middle 6 is not out of the question though. 

Imagine 5 years from now with Horvat and Hischier as our top 6 C's and Gaudette and Sutter as our bottom 6 C's... :wub:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah top 6 might be leaning optimistic. Middle 6 is not out of the question though. 

Imagine 5 years from now with Horvat and Hischier as our top 6 C's and Gaudette and Sutter as our bottom 6 C's... :wub:

Aw man, don't even tease me with getting Hiscshier. It would be too good to be true. 

On 3 February, 2017 at 5:59 PM, elvis15 said:
  1. He'd start in the minors, not junior, if that was the case.
  2. He's only in his second year of college now, not his third, so he'd have to stay two more years not just one to go to free agency.
  3. He's not going to be upset by some time in the minors anyway.

Sorry poor wording on my part I meant if he goes back next year then he'll be through 3 years of college. So the debate in his head a year from now is whether to sign or just stick it out for one more year in college and sign wherever he wants. You have a better chance of signing him after 2 years of college as opposed to 3 is essentially what I'm getting at. All the while our minor league team could use him next year as we are pretty shallow in offensive prospects.