The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pod's a gamer cut from the same cloth as Horvat/Miller. Type of attitude we need. I do expect him to take some time like Bo did.

I don't expect Virtanen to do much vs Watson.

Need to see how all 3 do vs a team like this. It's how you get a better read on them and know where they are at for certain. Rather deal with certainties but you don't know till you try.

I know. I have seen him play live at the world Jrs in the Czech Republic. Great kid. Games were great. However, I think you missed my point on that.

Just now, FaninMex said:

I know. I have seen him play live at the world Jrs in the Czech Republic. Great kid. Games were great. However, I think you missed my point on that.

I am a bit under the influence currently and admittedly so I wouldn't put it past myself to misinterpret anything as of now.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

The bolded. I do not venture into the Tram section because I do not do the once.... is here everything will be better. It is kinda like when players are injured and people say well if he wasn't...

I like Virt. When Schmidt took the puck low, Virt went back to cover him. He does a lot of little thinks like that and it is often missed by the fanbase. He does chase a bit but he is so much better than Gaudette as a winger. Gaudette can only in an O roll. He floats and gets lost in the D zone.

The next game we are going to need Mac and Virt in the line up as I think Watson and a couple others will be on the warpath.

Virtanen is a streaker kind of player. if he's ice cold, he's almost virtually unnoticeable. If he's on a hot streak, everything goes in it seems. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Virtanen is a streaker kind of player. if he's ice cold, he's almost virtually unnoticeable. If he's on a hot streak, everything goes in it seems. 

But he is not just scoring.

For example, When Hughes was dumped in the net, It was Virt that went after the offending player.

He is forechecking well. He is laying some big hits on D men as they move the puck out of the zone. Yes, he is streaky with his goal production but he is playing well this year. 

I think 9-12 minutes might be his bread and butter TOI.

I think he gets a lot of ice cold comments because he does things away from the play moreso than with the puck.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

But he is not just scoring.

For example, When Hughes was dumped in the net, It was Virt that went after the offending player.

He is forechecking well. He is laying some big hits on D men as they move the puck out of the zone. Yes, he is streaky with his goal production but he is playing well this year. 

I think 9-12 minutes might be his bread and butter TOI.

I think he gets a lot of ice cold comments because he does things away from the play moreso than with the puck.

I think fans just simply judge players by their offensive production. Jake's an easy target. 

I'm glad he's playing well away from the puck. If he is responsible defensively, then the offense will come around eventually. 

• Cheers 1

Gaudette starting to look pretty dispensable right now, he really needs to prove something when he's in the lineup next. To be honest he's exactly the same player as Virtanen, the only thing is that Virtanen is getting more of a look because of his high draft status whereas Gaudette sits because he's hardly worth much.

Last season Gaudette came in and stole the show but he's not doing the same this year, and if he wants to stick around he'll have to bring something to the table, whether it be offence of better PK ability, because right now it's nothing.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Gaudette starting to look pretty dispensable right now, he really needs to prove something when he's in the lineup next. To be honest he's exactly the same player as Virtanen, the only thing is that Virtanen is getting more of a look because of his high draft status whereas Gaudette sits because he's hardly worth much.

Last season Gaudette came in and stole the show but he's not doing the same this year, and if he wants to stick around he'll have to bring something to the table, whether it be offence of better PK ability, because right now it's nothing.

I don't think hes dispensable yet. Gauds has been good the last 2 years with his trajectory going upwards. I don't think being benched a few games so early in the season means he's all of a sudden trade bait. Gauds isn't given nearly the same rope as Virtanen

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Virt hits and he tried to challenge the guy who dumped Hughes to a fight.

Virt goes to the point to cover for D men when they go down low. Like in today's game when Schmidt went for a stroll. Guadette has no D awareness.

Gaudette doesn't really do those things

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Green should put Gaudette on the wing with BO and see what happens.  Let him be free so he can produce offensively.  He may be better suited to wing.  When Podkolzin comes he can play on the 3rd line until we see what we got in him.  Eventually they can change lines and Podkolzin can play with BO and Gaudette can be an effective 3rd line energy winger.  I don't see a future for Virtanen with the Canucks at this point so we will need another winger.

In terms of centre, we do have Kole Lind who is a very good 200' player and has been taking faceoffs in Utica for at least the last year.  He could be molded into a 3rd line centre.  I remember when Linden moved to centre he became one of our best defensive players.  I don't think Linden even played centre in Junior so he learned to take faceoffs while in the NHL.  Kole Lind could also be molded into an effective 3rd line centre.  He had a great year last year in Utica.  

Green and the coaching staff have already tried Gauds at wing at practice, just doesn't work. Gauds has played centre his entire life, but he might have to work on playing the wing if he wants to be a more valuable asset to the team. I think he'll be fine, not giving up on Gauds yet, theres still upside there. If Petey can play like crap right now, anybody can

2 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Green and the coaching staff have already tried Gauds at wing at practice, just doesn't work. Gauds has played centre his entire life, but he might have to work on playing the wing if he wants to be a more valuable asset to the team. I think he'll be fine, not giving up on Gauds yet, theres still upside there. If Petey can play like crap right now, anybody can

Also, Hoglander gives that line a better look in the O zone.

31 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Disagree. Imo Jake has better puck control, speed and defensive ability than Gaudette.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I thought Virtanen didn't do much at all. Neither Virtanen at 9:20 or Mac at 6:28 played enough. Sutter had a good game without any real contributions from them and he played more minutes at 16:23 than both Mac/Virtanen(15:48) combine.

All 3 guys struggle away from the puck. It's why there ice time is so low. We also played the Sens so lets see how Gaudette does vs them. He could do better in a winger position. Gotta keep rotating through them in the hopes that one sticks which hasn't happened yet. Spots are still there for the taking.

Once Pod comes room is gonna have to be made.

Motte has been making a strong case for moving up the lines and getting a crack at more ozone time. MacEwen is another. Thought Big Mac deserved a point last night. I was surprised Green didn't put him and Jake out for more TOI in the 3rd. I think Gaudette has to go to the wing to get ice time. 

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

He seems to wander out of position and loses the play. 

For purposes of comparison, Gaudette has all of the physical gifts of Tyler Toffoli. He is a decent skater. He has decent hands and shot. He has decent size. He just lacks T.T.'s hockey IQ. He does not read plays well. He does not know how to anticipate plays as they develop in all 3 zones. He is similar to Jake Virtanen in this respect. Some players learn to read plays as they play more and more games. The problem is that unless he can replace Brandon Sutter's  PK and matching roles, the coaching staff can't really find consistent minutes for him to play to develop those hockey instincts. 

Toffoli is 4 years older, that will make a difference.

6 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

For purposes of comparison, Gaudette has all of the physical gifts of Tyler Toffoli. He is a decent skater. He has decent hands and shot. He has decent size. He just lacks T.T.'s hockey IQ. He does not read plays well. He does not know how to anticipate plays as they develop in all 3 zones. He is similar to Jake Virtanen in this respect. Some players learn to read plays as they play more and more games. The problem is that unless he can replace Brandon Sutter's  PK and matching roles, the coaching staff can't really find consistent minutes for him to play to develop those hockey instincts. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Maddogy said:

11 hours ago, gurn said:

Toffoli is 4 years older, that will make a difference.

Yes players can get better at reading plays as they improve at keeping up pace with the NHL speed as they grow older, but the ceiling of their hockey IQ also matters. You can usually tell who the high hockey IQ players are at a young age whether offensively or defensively such as Petey, Hogs, Hughes, Juolevi, Podkolzin, etc.

Toffoli was a difference maker when he was younger than Gaudette.

14 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Have you seen AG?  He is quite scrawny.  He has a stomach illness that weakens him until he gets it under control.  I noticed Kole Lind is being used as a center at training camp in Utica.  I think Kole would be a great 3rd line center next year.  He has good hands and is a good playmaker.  Plus he is a pest.  If I am remembering correctly he played PP and PK last year in Utica.  If Adam can't put on some muscle and improve his defensive game and PK ability he won't be able to keep up as a bottom 6 forward because I don't think he is a top six guy.  Not responsible defensively and will expose the rest of the line.  I like Adam but I am just unsure he is as good as I first thought he was.  Just some thoughts. B)

20 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Have you seen AG?  He is quite scrawny.  He has a stomach illness that weakens him until he gets it under control.  I noticed Kole Lind is being used as a center at training camp in Utica.  I think Kole would be a great 3rd line center next year.  He has good hands and is a good playmaker.  Plus he is a pest.  If I am remembering correctly he played PP and PK last year in Utica.  If Adam can't put on some muscle and improve his defensive game and PK ability he won't be able to keep up as a bottom 6 forward because I don't think he is a top six guy.  Not responsible defensively and will expose the rest of the line.  I like Adam but I am just unsure he is as good as I first thought he was.  Just some thoughts. B)

In a way I feel like hes a better linden vey right now. I agree that he has some similar traits as toffoli but none defensively or physically imo. AGs offensive instincts are what is keeping him in the nhl right now. 

Is he good in his own end? No.

Can he win faceoffs. No. 

Is he physical? No. 

Does he protect the puck well? No. 

Either he needs to start putting up better numbers offensively or he needs to round out his game defensively I'd he wants to avoid the top 6 bottom 6 purgatory gap. 

I like him but hes got some work to do.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Gaudette has had some quality ozone chances. If not for his defensive lapses he would probably be still playing. I think they will have to try him on the wing. The depth might make him a chip..

I was saying it to some others on here.

At the start of the season his competition was Hoglander for a spot on the wing with Horvat. He is now running up a hill against any new depth that arrives. He needs to learn D or he will be traded. It will be a funny day to see the board blow up with JV here and Guadette packing his bags.