NHL'er

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Those moves could put the Comets into the playoffs.  That would be fantastic for development.  Plus the parent club could send some reinforcements.  

EW

Signing Aston - Reese would allow us to draft high risk style players on the wing.  Shooting for the stands as it was.

His immediate chemistry with Gaudette forms 2/3s of an effective line.

We've done very well with NCAA free agent signings.  Let's hope Stechers success and having Gaudette are enough to rope him in 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

2 games to go for their season? doubt they are in a playoff?

"March 17-18th - All 12 teams will once again qualify for the 2017 Hockey East tournament, with the top four teams in the league standings enjoying a first round bye into the quarterfinals. Teams seeded 5 through 12 will face off in best-of-three series at the campus sites of the higher seeds (No. 5 hosting No. 12, etc.). Advancing teams will then be reseeded and will play best-of-three quarterfinal series on the campuses of the four highest seeded teams.

The four quarterfinal winners will be reseeded again as they advance to the TD Garden in Boston for the semifinals and Championship Game."

source

If Gaudette signs this year, I think he has a legit shot at cracking the team as the 4th line C (displacing Chaput) and moving his way up the Canucks depth chart faster than most people would ever expect. These college kids are great because they workout so much, they come into the NHL with NHL strength -- something that happens rarely with CHL drafted talent (who need a few years to catch up to the rest of the men they end up playing against).

Also, if we can somehow snag Aston-Reese, I think we could have a young and exciting 4th line for next season.

Just imagine:

Gaunce - Gaudette - Aston-Reese

instead of

Gaunce - Chaput - Skille/Dorsett

(No offense to Chaput, I think he's done an admirable job this season and deserves to be re-signed by the Canucks).

Gaudette's the next Hutton, I have a feeling.

9 hours ago, Quantum said:

If Gaudette signs this year, I think he has a legit shot at cracking the team as the 4th line C (displacing Chaput) and moving his way up the Canucks depth chart faster than most people would ever expect. These college kids are great because they workout so much, they come into the NHL with NHL strength -- something that happens rarely with CHL drafted talent (who need a few years to catch up to the rest of the men they end up playing against).

Also, if we can somehow snag Aston-Reese, I think we could have a young and exciting 4th line for next season.

Just imagine:

Gaunce - Gaudette - Aston-Reese

instead of

Gaunce - Chaput - Skille/Dorsett

(No offense to Chaput, I think he's done an admirable job this season and deserves to be re-signed by the Canucks).

Gaudette's the next Hutton, I have a feeling.

I wouldn't get ahead if ourselves....

Atleast give the guy a taste of the Pro leagues in Utica for the remainder of the year. Start him again in Utica next year and go from there. I'm sure the selfish fans want him in the Canucks line-up asap but really....is there a rush on his development?

Even signing a guy like Aston-Reese, and even Boeser, I would have no issue starting them all in Utica. Play the snot out if them and then bring them up as needed.

I also like the napkin line of

Aston-Reese/Gaudette/Boeser

Edited by missioncanucksfan
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Atleast give the guy a taste of the Pro leagues in Utica for the remainder of the year. Start him again in Utica next year and go from there. I'm sure the selfish fans want him in the Canucks line-up asap but really....is there a rush on his development?

Even signing a guy like Aston-Reese, and even Boeser, I would have no issue starting them all in Utica. Play the snot out if them and then bring them up as needed.

I like this line. I also like getting them a year in Utica, playing together as a line. After that year, the Twins will have made their decision about their future; considering how fast they are slipping, I hope the decision is to retire, instead of playing too long and risk being really hurt when they can't keep up. Re-up Chaput and Gaunce; if this college line is just blowing it away in Utica, then Chaput and Gaunce can becoming TDL material, as low cost rentals and maybe bring back a couple of 4th-6th picks (maybe even up to a 3rd, if one of them advances farther than I think they will).

4 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

I like this line. I also like getting them a year in Utica, playing together as a line. After that year, the Twins will have made their decision about their future; considering how fast they are slipping, I hope the decision is to retire, instead of playing too long and risk being really hurt when they can't keep up. Re-up Chaput and Gaunce; if this college line is just blowing it away in Utica, then Chaput and Gaunce can becoming TDL material, as low cost rentals and maybe bring back a couple of 4th-6th picks (maybe even up to a 3rd, if one of them advances farther than I think they will).

I'm 'hoping' we lose Gaunce in the ED (not because I want to see him gone but because that will mean we've made moves to better limit our ED exposure).

I second Gaudette in Utica. I doubt we see Boeser down there for more than short stints (if it all) but anything's possible. Wouldn't mind seeing Gaudette with Virtanen though with the progress I'm assuming/hoping he makes the rest of this season/summer.

Biggest question is, does the management sign them right as they are done and burn one year off their ELC, or do they wait til the offseason to preserve that 1 year.  Honestly, I'd rather wait til the offseason this summer and max out that ELC for the following next 3 seasons..  Plus who knows when the next expansion draft may come, and saving that one year of pro til next season will be nice in a way of protection for both.

27 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Biggest question is, does the management sign them right as they are done and burn one year off their ELC, or do they wait til the offseason to preserve that 1 year.  Honestly, I'd rather wait til the offseason this summer and max out that ELC for the following next 3 seasons..  Plus who knows when the next expansion draft may come, and saving that one year of pro til next season will be nice in a way of protection for both.

Could depend on how much incentive it takes to get them to leave college too...

• Upvote 1

If Gaudette signed automatically this season he would burn a year off his ELC, for Boeser, it would take 9 games in the NHL/(and I assume AHL? to burn a year off).

The 9 games rule only applies to 18 and 19 years old players, but Gaudette is 20, and Boeser is 19.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If Gaudette signed automatically this season he would burn a year off his ELC, for Boeser, it would take 9 games in the NHL/(and I assume AHL? to burn a year off).

The 9 games rule only applies to 18 and 19 years old players, but Gaudette is 20, and Boeser is 19.

Didn't Hutton sign an amateur contract with Utica (or something along those lines) to finish the 2014-15 season? Couldn't Gaudette do the same?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Didn't Hutton sign an amateur contract with Utica (or something along those lines) to finish the 2014-15 season? Couldn't Gaudette do the same?

He signed a 2 year entry-level contact. So he must have? Because it's been 2 years and a year didn't get burned off. Tryamkin is example of a 2 year contract becoming basically just 1. 

I seem to remember Hutton was ineligible for the AHL playoffs... 

Edited by Art Vandelay

Anyone mention that 4 Canucks made Button's latest top 50 prospect list.  Juolevi, Demko, Boeser and Gaudette.  I don't know if the full list has been released yet

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Anyone mention that 4 Canucks made Button's latest top 50 prospect list.  Juolevi, Demko, Boeser and Gaudette.  I don't know if the full list has been released yet

Button said it will be released on Tuesday. He also revealed Boeser is 7th, Juolevi is 26th. My memory is foggy on where Demko and Gaudette were. But I'm saying 29th and 39th, respectively. 

He also said Keller was ranked first. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

He signed a 2 year entry-level contact. So he must have? Because it's been 2 years and a year didn't get burned off. Tryamkin is example of a 2 year contract becoming basically just 1. 

I seem to remember that Hutton was available for the AHL playoffs but Green chose not to use him. Which struck me as strange when Hutton came to training camp a few months later and blew everyone away with his play.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I seem to remember that Hutton was available for the AHL playoffs but Green chose not to use him. Which struck me as strange when Hutton came to training camp a few months later and blew everyone away with his play.

You are correct. 

7 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I agree

the organization is deep enough now that i think they will take a more developmental approach with the next wave of young guys turning pro.  I would love to see them spend a year or two in Utica building confidence and chemistry, Boeser included.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I agree

the organization is deep enough now that i think they will take a more developmental approach with the next wave of young guys turning pro.  I would love to see them spend a year or two in Utica building confidence and chemistry, Boeser included.  

You do know that means another year or two of Chapoo, Megna, and Skille, right?

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Hutton signed a PTO with the Comets in March of 2015 and his ELC with the Canucks starting in the 2015-16 season. That made him eligible for the AHL. If a player signs an ELC after the trade deadline for the current season they burn off a year of their ELC but they are not eligible for the AHL until the following season.

• Upvote 1