The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

I don't normally like to weigh in until I've actually heard the soundbite myself, and in this particular case i haven't even seen a direct quote in print, but given benning's, shall we say, somewhat pedestrian articulation skills, is ot possible he jumbled his words a bit and was referring to signing an ncaa player (boeser) and a euro player (dahlen), since he has already spoken to his intention of bringing the latter over in the summer?

5 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't normally like to weigh in until I've actually heard the soundbite myself, and in this particular case i haven't even seen a direct quote in print, but given benning's, shall we say, somewhat pedestrian articulation skills, is ot possible he jumbled his words a bit and was referring to signing an ncaa player (boeser) and a euro player (dahlen), since he has already spoken to his intention of bringing the latter over in the summer?

I was watching it on SN live, but I'm sure you'll soon find the audio archived at the TSN 1040 website. But he very clearly said "a couple of our college players". 

9 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I was watching it on SN live, but I'm sure you'll soon find the audio archived at the TSN 1040 website. But he very clearly said "a couple of our college players". 

fair enough.

15 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I've listened to this now.

his wording was "... sign a couple of our young players after their college seasons or whatever ..."

I'm thinking boeser and dahlen. 

• Upvote 2

On Wednesday, March 01, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya that's def odd Benning said they were going to sign 2 NCAA prospects. Maybe Lockwood because Michigan sucks? Except he seems pretty physically immature still so it doesn't really make sense.

Be amazing to sign Gaudette though, I hope it is Boeser and Gaudette Benning is talking about.

Boeser

Gaudette

Goldobin

Dahlen

That would be a serious influx of skill in our organization.

Lockwood could opt out and join which ever junior team owns his rights. Not sure which that would be but still..... he wouldn't be the first to do that. That being said, there is also nothing wrong with staying at Red Berenson University for another year of development. This kid isn't joining the Canucks anytime soon so no need to rush him.

There are quite a few decent players for the taking out of college this year. Chances are it will be someone we will have never heard of but has ties and connections to someone on the staff.

On March 2, 2017 at 3:56 PM, missioncanucksfan said:

Lockwood could opt out and join which ever junior team owns his rights. Not sure which that would be but still..... he wouldn't be the first to do that. That being said, there is also nothing wrong with staying at Red Berenson University for another year of development. This kid isn't joining the Canucks anytime soon so no need to rush him.

There are quite a few decent players for the taking out of college this year. Chances are it will be someone we will have never heard of but has ties and connections to someone on the staff.

I am expecting Lockwood to spend another 2 years under Red Berenson. Not only will it be nice to see us take our time with some of these college guys but Berenson is a big fan of Lockwoods and he'll get every opportunity to succeed there. He could turn into another draft day steal if Red can keep him for two more years...

On March 1, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Ihatetomatoes said:

Didn't Linden just meet with Gaudette and it was basically decided another year in College to get bigger and stronger before turning pro was the best choice of action?

Are you sure you don't mean Lockwood?TL aside he had this conversation with Lockwood.

On March 2, 2017 at 9:24 AM, tas said:

I've listened to this now.

his wording was "... sign a couple of our young players after their college seasons or whatever ..."

I'm thinking boeser and dahlen. 

Dhalen is not in college

boeser and gaudette would be the most logical NCAA signings but then again what about this organization is logical?

we just saw WD scratch a player who was 1st star last game and then play a young top prospect 6 minutes because he left the D zone early ONCE on a play he scored (??? The winning goal)

WTF

30 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Dhalen is not in college

boeser and gaudette would be the most logical NCAA signings but then again what about this organization is logical?

we just saw WD scratch a player who was 1st star last game and then play a young top prospect 6 minutes because he left the D zone early ONCE on a play he scored (??? The winning goal)

WTF

after their college seasons or whatever

or whatever

like a european league season

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Dhalen is not in college

WTF

It's funny cause he did blow the zone early, but if you look at the replay we had 2 guys closest to the puck, and 1 of there D had already vacated the zone the other LA guy was making his way over to the puck battle. So in the zone was 4 on 4 and Goldy recognized if we win the puck battle he might have a chance for a break. If we lost he probably was betting that he could still make it back in the D zone to take the 5th kings player, who was also in the neutral zone at the time. I don't mind this type of play from offensive players as long as they are responsible for the trailer, and don't get beat back into our D zone. Just thoughts though.

On Gaudette, happy to see him score another goal, but need to see more from him at 5v5 in these big games. I'd like to see him get some even strength points in the next few games as they are big games. They could win Hockey East again if they stay healthy. They were missing some top guys all year in the Stevens Brothers.

4 minutes ago, Derp... said:

It's funny cause he did blow the zone early, but if you look at the replay we had 2 guys closest to the puck, and 1 of there D had already vacated the zone the other LA guy was making his way over to the puck battle. So in the zone was 4 on 4 and Goldy recognized if we win the puck battle he might have a chance for a break. If we lost he probably was betting that he could still make it back in the D zone to take the 5th kings player, who was also in the neutral zone at the time. I don't mind this type of play from offensive players as long as they are responsible for the trailer, and don't get beat back into our D zone. Just thoughts though.

Totally agree. He read the play better than WD which made me wonder if WD is capable of coaching young offensively takented players.  Bo has always been a great two way player and that's why we drafted him. His offensive output this early is a little surprising. Goldobin, virtanen, shinkaruk, Subban are more offensive players and I think WD just can't coach that type of player so he tries to mold them into something he can coach. Beartschi took 6 NHL months to come around and he is more of a two way player now and has likely compromised some of his offensive tendencies in order to please willy. This guy is the wrong coach for this direction. Crawford is who I would go to. He developed that young $&!#ty Canucks team into a contender.

• Upvote 1

It's interesting also because I think Willie D is the right coach for developing our 2 way players. He's the guy I want developing

Horvat
Granlund

Baertschi
Gaudette
Boeser
Boucher
Juolevi
Brisebois

Cramarossa
Cassels

Guys who need offensive coaches (We need these guys to improve offense if we want to get our goals per game up) 
Hutton
Gaunce
Goldobin
Tanev
Gudbranson
Stecher

Virtanen

I don't know if we have a coach that can develop the offensive side of the game for these guys?

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

It's interesting also because I think Willie D is the right coach for developing our 2 way players. He's the guy I want developing

Horvat
Granlund

Baertschi
Gaudette
Boeser
Boucher
Juolevi
Brisebois

Cramarossa
Cassels

Guys who need offensive coaches (We need these guys to improve offense if we want to get our goals per game up) 
Hutton
Gaunce
Goldobin
Tanev
Gudbranson
Stecher

Virtanen

That list screams for Tryamkin. 

If he can spend the summer hammering one-timers from the point with a skills coach, that would go a long way

As for Gaudette, he was drafted in 2015 and therefore at the young age to go to Utica. Get this kid signed before he gets ideas to become a free-agent and really mess our prospect pool. 

Edited by missioncanucksfan
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

That list screams for Tryamkin. 

If he can spend the summer hammering one-timers from the point with a skills coach, that would go a long way

As for Gaudette, he was drafted in 2015 and therefore at the young age to go to Utica. Get this kid signed before he gets ideas to become a free-agent and really mess our prospect pool. 

True true Trammer needs to get his point shots going. 

Leading the college scoring right now in points per game around 1.7. That's pretty up there, considering Boeser is around 1 PPG and he's considered one of their best scorers.

Haven't watched many of his highlights but do we have a potential first line center in Gaudette or is he going to be more of a 3rd line center? How's his defensive game been?

17 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Leading the college scoring right now in points per game around 1.7. That's pretty up there, considering Boeser is around 1 PPG and he's considered one of their best scorers.

Haven't watched many of his highlights but do we have a potential first line center in Gaudette or is he going to be more of a 3rd line center? How's his defensive game been?

I'd say he's a dark horse to be a potential first line center but player's have emerged later in the draft to become first liners, so anything is possible.

My prediction is that he'll end up settling in as a third line center with 2nd line upside.  I think his defensive game needs a little more work but I suspect that after a year in Utica, it'll be up to snuff to be in the NHL. The advantage the college kids have over the CHL kids is that they train more, so he should have the weight (now) to be able to really push back in the professional levels of hockey.

He's definitely got future NHLer written all over him.

3 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I'd say he's a dark horse to be a potential first line center but player's have emerged later in the draft to become first liners, so anything is possible.

My prediction is that he'll end up settling in as a third line center with 2nd line upside.  I think his defensive game needs a little more work but I suspect that after a year in Utica, it'll be up to snuff to be in the NHL. The advantage the college kids have over the CHL kids is that they train more, so he should have the weight (now) to be able to really push back in the professional levels of hockey.

He's definitely got future NHLer written all over him.

Zoiks he's gonna be better than a Datsyukberger  

On 3/1/2017 at 1:43 PM, Salmonberries said:

Benning said he would be signing "a couple of our college players" at the post TDL press conference. I would assume he was referring to Gaudette and Boeser.

So it sounds like Gaudette will be turning pro this spring.

I hope so. I really want to see this forward group in Utica for their playoffs:

Goldobin - Gaunce - Virtanen

Aston-Reese - Gaudette - Boeser

(one can dream...)

• Upvote 4