The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

On 2017-03-11 at 9:59 PM, Jiggs50 said:

Lol imma save this tweet...

And knowing the Sedins they'll probably take under 5 per just to stay on the team. Wait and watch. 

It pains me to say this, but based on their shockingly rapid decline this second half, not sure about the wisdom of extending them at all especially given that we just signed young guys that are not too far away from being top 6 forwards in the NHL. Would we put the Sedins in the third or fourth lines? Best bet would be to split them up, but can Henrik still play the Centre position competitively? If Henrik's willing to move to the Wing and they're both willing to accept $2 mil per year, then maybe...

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

^^ Considering that whole page was dripping with sarcasm, I think you missed the boat on vancan's being the same.

Haha guess so! It was missing the usual indicators of sarcasm like smiley faces and excessive use of punctuation!!! :P:frantic:

For his development I was hoping he would sign and play with Utica next season. If you weigh riding the bus in the AHL for 70k a season versus being the big man on campus and probably wearing a letter, while taking on a leadership role at Northeastern, the scales tipped in favor of college. I wouldn't be surprised if his stats took a dip next season with Sikura and ZAR leaving, but there's a chance he puts the team on his back and makes another big step forward. Good luck to the young man. 

2 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Not saying Gaudette is going to pull the UFA thing but they really need to change the rule on drafted college players. If they decide to become a UFA after college they must wait 1 year after their college career is done to become a UFA. 

Agreed, along with the chl-ahl rule for 19 year olds.

Just now, stawns said:

Agreed, along with the chl-ahl rule for 19 year olds.

I understand this its so the CHL is still competitive and the NHL/AHL doesn't rob teams of the high end talent. That being said I think if they modify the rule it could work for example each NHL/AHL team can give a player "exceptional player status" to allow them to join the AHL prior to their 20th Birthday.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I understand this its so the CHL is still competitive and the NHL/AHL doesn't rob teams of the high end talent. That being said I think if they modify the rule it could work for example each NHL/AHL team can give a player "exceptional player status" to allow them to join the AHL prior to their 20th Birthday.   

I could see some form of compensation being given to the CHL team. There's also, clearly have to be limits. It's tricky but it's not impossible.

It would have been nice to see him sign, but Gaudette going back is what might be best for his development.

He still needs to adds strength, and I think a season of being "the guy" for his team will help him to round out some of the kinks in his game and deal with the increased pressure and attention that comes with it.

If he has another great season next year then he should definitely be ready to go pro.  We still have his rights until 2019, so there isn't any need to be sweating about him not signing here.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Agreed, each team should have 1-2 players with exceptional status.......or the NHLPA could quit being dicks about a 19 year old draft format.  That's a better solution, imo.

10 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

You gotta think the kids know they're going to get a chance here when Boeser is talking Stecher into signing and now Gaudette is doing the same.

Don't forget Hutton, Lockwood.  I think JB is making Van a very attractive place for guys from the NCAA

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That's always a concern with these US college kids, isn't it?  

At least Jimbo took the risk. Canucks just aren't in a position to woo in players who aren't set on playing for this organization right now. It is what it is.