The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

Just now, Gooseberries said:

I don't think The Hitman sounds like he went to college at all lol.

I see ZERO reason why Boeser will not sign here this spring, and Gaudette won't follow next spring.  Both guys will burn a full year off their ELCs, and have really good chances of stepping in to our top nine.  Who will we have left after the Twins are gone?  There will be huge opportunities here.

1 minute ago, TheHitman said:

At least Jimbo took the risk. Canucks just aren't in a position to woo in players who aren't set on playing for this organization right now. It is what it is. 

True enough.  Gotta draft the BPA on his list every time, and then let what's going to happen, just happen.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True enough.  Gotta draft the BPA on his list every time, and then let what's going to happen, just happen.

Hard to ask a kid to move away from his family when he's literally stayed in the same area for his entire career. Dude was unhappy playing in Iowa due to the distance between him and his family. Can't see that changing when Vancouver's even farther. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHitman said:

Hard to ask a kid to move away from his family when he's literally stayed in the same area for his entire career. Dude was unhappy playing in Iowa due to the distance between him and his family. Can't see that changing when Vancouver's even farther. 

If JB has even an inkling this kid won't sign he should trade the rights.  Gaudette's value should be super high, right?

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If JB has even an inkling this kid won't sign he should trade the rights.  Gaudette's value should be super high, right?

Yeah, he would.

The thing is, the NHL is different. He could still sign with another team as a UFA and get traded. It's part of the job.

Linden let it slip a few weeks ago that he expected Gaudette to go back for one more year. Pierre McGuire said he needed another year on TSN 1040 this past Friday. Gaudette clearly feels he needs one more year and that's okay. Demko took 3 years in college, Gaudette will too. Only time to worry is if he opts to stay at Northeastern this time next year... and my gut says he won't. Gaudette's clearly played his way into the Canucks plans. He'll be a Canuck. I'm not too worried about it.

19 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

It pains me to say this, but based on their shockingly rapid decline this second half, not sure about the wisdom of extending them at all especially given that we just signed young guys that are not too far away from being top 6 forwards in the NHL. Would we put the Sedins in the third or fourth lines? Best bet would be to split them up, but can Henrik still play the Centre position competitively? If Henrik's willing to move to the Wing and they're both willing to accept $2 mil per year, then maybe...

2 mil would be a slap in the face.  

Besides, think of the money given to the twins as money that is locked away and we cannot spend on another Erickson signing.  It will come off the books just as Bo and the youngsters are nearing their prime and we get ready for a Cup run.

I'm perfectly fine with a 2 year deal at 4 mil/season for the twins.  They will be worth it as mentors for the young guys that we already have an abundance of.  

Sedins would be nice on the third line.  

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2 mil would be a slap in the face.  

Besides, think of the money given to the twins as money that is locked away and we cannot spend on another Erickson signing.  It will come off the books just as Bo and the youngsters are nearing their prime and we get ready for a Cup run.

I'm perfectly fine with a 2 year deal at 4 mil/season for the twins.  They will be worth it as mentors for the young guys that we already have an abundance of.  

Agreed, Canucks are paying Dorset 2.5

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I see ZERO reason why Boeser will not sign here this spring, and Gaudette won't follow next spring.  Both guys will burn a full year off their ELCs, and have really good chances of stepping in to our top nine.  Who will we have left after the Twins are gone?  There will be huge opportunities here.

Exactly.  I would go even a step further and say that RIGHT NOW Canucks offer the best opportunity to get a lot of ice time.

If you're a promising college player you are battling for minutes with Megna, two players that have been dropped on waivers, and a few other career AHLers.  

Man, are we ever a brutal team right now  :picard:

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly.  I would go even a step further and say that RIGHT NOW Canucks offer the best opportunity to get a lot of ice time.

If you're a promising college player you are battling for minutes with Megna, two players that have been dropped on waivers, and a few other career AHLers.  

Man, are we ever a brutal team right now  :picard:

Maybe it's better to be brutal, and Cole t several more top five picks?

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm very curious now - just how would you define the role of a third line and why do you think the Sedins would fit there? Can you give me some examples of comparable third lines in the league that you think the Sedins' style of play could copy?

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I'm very curious now - just how would you define the role of a third line and why do you think the Sedins would fit there? Can you give me some examples of comparable third lines in the league that you think the Sedins' style of play could copy?

I think it would be more about icetime than role. I don't see the Sedins ever really playing a "third line" style. And I don't think they need to "copy" anybody but themselves. But I could definitely see them playing less minutes. Hopefully less minutes than two of our other lines. Especially if we end up with a top-six that's build around strong two-way, all zones, all situations types.

Just need to clone Bo and we're set. ;) 

But I think you can already see how getting to a place where we could limit the twins' minutes would be a great thing.

With a young top-six that can handle any kind of assignment/matchup, you could have lineup options where a coach could still "ride" the twins when they're having one of those periods when they look like the guys from "the shift" video. And then sit them for the occasional shift here and there when they're having a period (or game) that's really showing their age.

Basically don't change how they play (when they're playing well). But just limit their ice and hopefully you get 12-15 minutes of good Sedins instead of 18-20 minutes where you get half a game of the good twins (the ones that we know and love) and half a game of the guys that don't backcheck, get hemmed in their zone, and drift lackadaisically to the bench on changes.

I've seen several games this season where the twins have looked all world for the majority of one period. And then come out for the next period and played so bad they had me tearing me hair out. 

If we can build a roster where we have six or more young players that deserve top-six minutes, then we get to a place where the Sedins being gifted the lion's share of the quality opportunities isn't going to be a justifiable coaching choice. 

At that point, the Sedins should play however many minutes they can earn based on performance. Currently, the roster isn't really good enough to be significantly cutting back on Hank and Danny's ice. But if we get to that point, then they should have to compete for icetime. They'll still likely have games where they end up among the top TOI forwards. But hopefully we'll have enough young talent that, on the off nights, the twins can sit back for a bit and watch as the young guns run the show.

At least that's the kind of third line role I envision for the Sedins.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

Like Boeser last season, the plan was for Gaudette to play another year in the NCAA.  I expect that he'll make a roster push for the 18/19 season.

Boeser will sign, but his focus is with his current season as it should be.  What Im hoping for is he agrees to play in the AHL for Uticas playoff drive.  Its the next logical step for him.  No need to rush onto a cellar dwelling NHL clubs final few games.

4 hours ago, 70seven said:

Like Boeser last season, the plan was for Gaudette to play another year in the NCAA.  I expect that he'll make a roster push for the 18/19 season.

Boeser will sign, but his focus is with his current season as it should be.  What Im hoping for is he agrees to play in the AHL for Uticas playoff drive.  Its the next logical step for him.  No need to rush onto a cellar dwelling NHL clubs final few games.

Yes, I would say for  Gaudette, one more year of NCAA and then 2-3 years of AHL and then we can see what we have.

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Basically don't change how they play (when they're playing well). But just limit their ice and hopefully you get 12-15 minutes of good Sedins instead of 18-20 minutes where you get half a game of the good twins (the ones that we know and love) and half a game of the guys that don't backcheck, get hemmed in their zone, and drift lackadaisically to the bench on changes.

I've seen several games this season where the twins have looked all world for the majority of one period. And then come out for the next period and played so bad they had me tearing me hair out. 

You've actually touched on my 3 main concerns which would dictate how much salary they should get:

• On which line they'll play: it's a match-up thing - each of the lines are supposed to match up with one of the other team's specific lines, and I get really, really nervous any time they start on the defensive zone. I know they like to say that young guys need to do better, but in all honesty, their effectiveness has been putrid on so many occasions: they cough up the puck with increasing regularity; their passes are going nowhere; their shots are getting weaker. In fact, their lack of effectiveness on the Marchand goal hasn't been an anomaly.
  • Right now, you're already hoping that they will be able to get 12 to 15 minutes of good Sedins. But based on the current time (just think about how many points they've scored in 2017 and the increasingly smaller number of good scoring chances they've generated even though they've had a lot of offensive zone starts), I strongly doubt that you're getting even 7 minutes of good Sedins. That number's going to decline even more. If you extend them even 3 years after next season, what sort of production do you think you'll get on years 2 and 3?
  • It's one thing if you're spending important cap space on one popular but declining vet. In this case, you'll be spending it on two players. Split them up and hope for the best? Will they take an extension of 1 year? Perhaps extend one player and trade the other (sacrilege!)? 

Again, I have been a big Sedins fan pretty much since they were drafted so much so that I actually spent time going through the NHL's Top 100 list trying to see which ones of those players should have gotten kicked out of the list so that Henrik could make it.