The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

On 6/27/2015 at 10:04 AM, Dazzle said:

Another college educated-based player.

He's committed for Northeastern University. Benning loves his Boston players. He MUST have seen something in this guy than others haven't.

Did you see it tonight at all?

23 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

The amount of hate I see on page 1 of this thread is ridiculous lol. I bet they aren't hating now. 

You could say that about a lot of guys drafted, lots of hand wringing and then surprise surprise in a couple of years the "dumb" management starts looking pretty good ;) 

Edited by gerry35

I think it's still hard to say where Gaudette fits into our future lineup. He could go anywhere from first line skilled center to third line checker, and really gives us some great depth. Let's not forget Horvat is a true center but we could easily throw Gaudette or Pettersson onto the wing if need be (if Sutter's still around), or have Sutter as the 4C and roll with Gaudette, Pettersson and Horvat. They're not the classic best 3 centers in the league that you'd expect (ala McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH/Strome) but I think their production will speak for themselves in their prime if Gaudette really takes off. 

I just hope now that JB sits with this center depth and doesn't try to trade one of them. Gaudette would be the obvious one to try and trade to get a defenceman or prospect and because his ceiling is sky high I'd leave him.

We've got some very underated centers in Vancouver who hopefully fly under the radar until it's time to contend for a cup in about 3-5 years time.

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think it's still hard to say where Gaudette fits into our future lineup. He could go anywhere from first line skilled center to third line checker, and really gives us some great depth. Let's not forget Horvat is a true center but we could easily throw Gaudette or Pettersson onto the wing if need be (if Sutter's still around), or have Sutter as the 4C and roll with Gaudette, Pettersson and Horvat. They're not the classic best 3 centers in the league that you'd expect (ala McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH/Strome) but I think their production will speak for themselves in their prime if Gaudette really takes off. 

I just hope now that JB sits with this center depth and doesn't try to trade one of them. Gaudette would be the obvious one to try and trade to get a defenceman or prospect and because his ceiling is sky high I'd leave him.

We've got some very underated centers in Vancouver who hopefully fly under the radar until it's time to contend for a cup in about 3-5 years time.

Sutter will be long gone by the time Pettersson and Gaudette are truly ready to take over full time roles as center. Gaudette may have to do a year or so at wing or 4th line center but Sutter is only signed for 3 more years after this one and he can be traded in 2 years plus the Sedins may even be gone after this year.

Pettersson

Horvat

Gaudette

Usually I try to have low expectations but the chances of this actually being a really good trio down the middle for us is looking good.

• Upvote 2

He's got some praise from Kuzma in his latest:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/summer-showdown-gaudettes-complete-game-steals-spotlight-from-slick-swedes

Under normal circumstances, collegiate sniper Adam Gaudette would have had top pre-game billing Thursday night at Rogers Arena.

However, these are not normal times. Especially when you’re trying to impress Canucks season-ticket holders with a sneak peek at a future dynamic duo via the Summer Showdown showcase of top prospects to conclude development camp.

This is a time of hope and faith and dreaming of how a pair of slick Swedes not named Sedin — namely centre Elias Pettersson and winger Jonathan Dahlen — will one day propel the Vancouver Canucks back to National Hockey League prominence. Well, at least back to a more competitive presence in the tough Pacific Division.

And that’s not to take anything away from Gaudette.

He was easily the most complete player Thursday and also scored twice as his Blues fell 5-3 to the Whites before more than 5,000 faithful followers. Gaudette had it going in 5-on-5 play in the first period and scored twice off the rush in 3-on-3 play in the third.

Gaudette was flanked by Griffen Molino and Michael Carcone on the game’s most dominant trio, and the centre was noticeable in all three zones. He was the only one forechecking aggressively with a physical presence and he set up Molino for a scoring chance.

Gaudette also dropped Pettersson with a shoulder check behind the net during 4-on-4 play in the second period. Pettersson shook it off and scored twice to tease of future greatness.

“We were getting matched up with the two Swedes and I think we did a pretty good job overall,” said Gaudette. “He (Pettersson) is definitely a higher pick than me, but I definitely wanted to show that I can compete at the level he’s competing at because we’re battling for the same spot.

“I wanted to show everybody that I can play at the same pace that he can.”

Gaudette, a fifth-round 2015 draft pick, finished ninth in NCAA scoring last season with 26 goals in 37 games for Northeastern despite a late-season wrist injury. That feat included 16 power-play goals, tied for second overall, on a high-octane special-teams line with Zach Aston-Reese, who tied for the national lead in scoring with 63 points. Anton-Reese then signed a two-year, free-agent deal with Pittsburgh.

Gaudette’s strong sophomore ascension had the Canucks toying with signing the 20-year-old Braintree, Mass., native and putting his pro development on fast forward. However, he’s returning for a third season to build his game and his 6-1, 184-pound frame. It’s all part of the franchise rebuilding focus.

“I need to mature a little bit physically and get a little bit faster,” added Gaudette. “It’s the right move to help me make the jump to the next level, and last year was definitely a huge confidence booster and it’s easier to play like that and put up numbers.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

He's got some praise from Kuzma in his latest:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/summer-showdown-gaudettes-complete-game-steals-spotlight-from-slick-swedes

He was easily the most complete player Thursday

Wow - did he actually watch the game.  OJ was in TOTAL control of every single shift he was on the ice, scored a sick SO goal while making sure not to show up goalie and seemed to be doing his grocery list in his head while waiting for players to move where he wanted them before making NHL veteran passes.   Gaudette looked good but not OJ good.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow - did he actually watch the game.  OJ was in TOTAL control of every single shift he was on the ice, scored a sick SO goal while making sure not to show up goalie and seemed to be doing his grocery list in his head while waiting for players to move where he wanted them before making NHL veteran passes.   Gaudette looked good but not OJ good.

Nah, for me it was Gaudette as well. He was really the only one on Blue that was notable. Juolevi was quiet, which is his game. 

30 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't get it. We have a D prospect being one hell of a D prospect, and people are like, meh, seems "slow". 

Gaudette did look like a man among boys. It would be great to see him sign his ELC after his next year in college.