Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

Right, and I guess the shift Dowd and Loui got in the last minute of OT was us trying our best to win in OT. Got it.  

What are you suggesting? Like burn him at that stake then? Fire our 4th coach in 7 years?

 

Let's hear some suggestions wise guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

Swedish elite league MVP... Elias Pettersson ::D

not exactly. erik karlsson won it the last 2 years. 

 

for what it's worth, it was the golden helmet, not puck, that anton rodin won. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Goldenpuck award...what award is that for? 

 

2 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

It would be amazing to see a Hobey Baker award winner, a Goldenpuck winner and a Calder trophy winner in the same year and all belonging to the Canucks!

I think it is actually named the Golden Shower Award or is that the award Brad Marchand deserved after the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs ?

Edited by Borvat
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Gaudette can develop into a top 6 C so Petterson plays wing we would have a pretty stacked top 6.  

 

Despite his point totals people seem to have him pencilled in as the 3C.  Is there a reason for that or are people just carrying over the “hard to play against” vibe he had earlier in his career?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If Gaudette can develop into a top 6 C so Petterson plays wing we would have a pretty stacked top 6.  

 

Despite his point totals people seem to have him pencilled in as the 3C.  Is there a reason for that or are people just carrying over the “hard to play against” vibe he had earlier in his career?

I think it's more of his skill set that makes him look more like a 3rd line center with 2nd line potential rather than just looking at point totals. He doesn't really have an elite shot or elite puck handling, he's more of a grinder type with great hockey sense and that leads to a lot of points against lesser opposition. Also a lot of his points come on the PP I believe which isn't a good sign of points translating to the big leagues. Who knows though, he may come in and completely blow everyone away and surprise. Or he could come in and make us all wonder how he scored so much in the NCAA. Hopefully he's a Kesler type guy that will be an excellent 3rd line center that develops into an elite 2nd line center by his prime. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I think it's more of his skill set that makes him look more like a 3rd line center with 2nd line potential rather than just looking at point totals. He doesn't really have an elite shot or elite puck handling, he's more of a grinder type with great hockey sense and that leads to a lot of points against lesser opposition. Also a lot of his points come on the PP I believe which isn't a good sign of points translating to the big leagues. Who knows though, he may come in and completely blow everyone away and surprise. Or he could come in and make us all wonder how he scored so much in the NCAA. Hopefully he's a Kesler type guy that will be an excellent 3rd line center that develops into an elite 2nd line center by his prime. 

Thanks,

 

While he isn’t elite at anything, he seems to be quality across the board.  A top 3C is nothing to scoff at either - thinking of pre-2011 Kesler or a Malhotra or even a Sutter.  Shutdown ability and 30 points in hard minutes is a diamond in the rough for a 5th rounder.

 

Still, he’s consistently put up a LOT of points (PP or otherwise) through his collegiate career and doesn’t seem to be riding the coattails of a greater talent a la Drake Caggiula and Brock.  Not just some late blooming Jr/Sr.  He’s currently listed at 6’1 185 and seems completely driven to succeed.  I agree we shouldn’t write him off as top 6 potential though his bottom 6 ability to break in with/fall back on is apparent.

Edited by ilduce39
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

What are you suggesting? Like burn him at that stake then? Fire our 4th coach in 7 years?

 

Let's hear some suggestions wise guy.

I’m suggesting trying Jake in OT instead of Loui.  Or Goldy.  What’s the harm in throwing youth and speed over the boards.  Don’t think I am being too hard to understand.  

 

To play Loui over Jake in OT is basically saying that they have no interest in scoring but just have him defend till shootout which I can’t remember the last one we won.

 

I am in no way saying to fire the coach.  I like this coach.  Just don’t understand his OT strategy. 

Edited by Stelar
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stelar said:

I’m suggesting trying Jake in OT instead of Loui.  Or Goldy.  What’s the harm in throwing youth and speed over the boards.  Don’t think I am being too hard to understand.  

 

To play Loui over Jake in OT is basically saying that they have no interest in scoring but just have him defend till shootout which I can’t remember the last one we won.

Exactly.  Our re Oreo in the 3 on 3 is not very good, so why not try Jake (who is our fastest player) and Goldy, who has elite skill?  What’s the harm?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Thanks,

 

While he isn’t elite at anything, he seems to be quality across the board.  A top 3C is nothing to scoff at either - thinking of pre-2011 Kesler or a Malhotra or even a Sutter.  Shutdown ability and 30 points in hard minutes is a diamond in the rough for a 5th rounder.

 

Still, he’s consistently put up a LOT of points (PP or otherwise) through his collegiate career and doesn’t seem to be riding the coattails of a greater talent a la Drake Caggiula and Brock.  Not just some late blooming Jr/Sr.  He’s currently listed at 6’1 185 and seems completely driven to succeed.  I agree we shouldn’t write him off as top 6 potential though his bottom 6 ability to break in with/fall back on is apparent.

Well for the last 2 seasons he's been with Sikura who is always neck and neck with him scoring wise. Some do wonder who is propping up who. Sikura get next to no hype either even though he has scored basically as much as Gaudette. 

 

I think Gaudette is going to be great for us. Work ethic with size, hockey IQ and enough skill is a great recipe for a solid NHL player.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

???? How can you know this? The kid is only 21 yrs old. Who knows what his ceiling will be. He’s progressed miles in the last few years. Maybe he keeps going, you can’t really assume with players like this

Many people like to believe they know the future. Like what young players' ceilings will be. No matter how many players (eg: Tanev, Burr, Kesler) demonstrate that this belief is silly.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

If Gaudette can develop into a top 6 C so Petterson plays wing we would have a pretty stacked top 6.  

 

Despite his point totals people seem to have him pencilled in as the 3C.  Is there a reason for that or are people just carrying over the “hard to play against” vibe he had earlier in his career?

Very similar skill set and game as Kesler had as a draftee, ceiling was seen as at best a 3c but a very good shut down, agitator, with size and speed who can chip in. Well Kesler's drive made him a great 2c and a Selke winner and Gaudette (at least from what I've seen and saw with Kesler) is further ahead on the skill advancement side. Time will tell his ceiling but to get a 5th rounder who now looks like he could push to be a great 2 way 2c is a hell of a steal! (if he makes it long term of course)

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Despite his point totals people seem to have him pencilled in as the 3C.  Is there a reason for that or are people just carrying over the “hard to play against” vibe he had earlier in his career?

 

I think you answered your own question. 

 

 

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

diamond in the rough for a 5th rounder.

::D

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 1:14 PM, ilduce39 said:

If Gaudette can develop into a top 6 C so Petterson plays wing we would have a pretty stacked top 6.  

 

Despite his point totals people seem to have him pencilled in as the 3C.  Is there a reason for that or are people just carrying over the “hard to play against” vibe he had earlier in his career?

Well he'd be starting there, regardless, if not on the 4th line. Even Getzlaf started his career on the 3rd line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-01-07 at 1:14 PM, ilduce39 said:

If Gaudette can develop into a top 6 C so Petterson plays wing we would have a pretty stacked top 6.  

 

Despite his point totals people seem to have him pencilled in as the 3C.  Is there a reason for that or are people just carrying over the “hard to play against” vibe he had earlier in his career?

I think the only reason people pencil him in as the 3rd line centre is because fans see Pettersson and Horvat being the top 6 centres. I’m an optimist when it comes to Gaudette and I see him as a top 6 player. I think between Pettersson and Gaudette one of them gets pushed to the wing and they both play in the top 6. It’s not uncommon to have more than one capable centre on a line. I think Philly had 2 centres per line back in the Richards, Carter and Giroux era.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...