The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

7 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

An 18 year old Junior draft pick sits out 4 years he becomes a free agent as well. Why do we only see the NCAA route a a loophole?

Problem is an 18-year-old Junior can sign a professional contract and be send back to their Junior club and play there. You can't sign a NCAA player and then send them back to college. The Junior player can be signed and then sent back to his Junior team and his NHL club holds all the playing cards. While the NCAA player will simply attend prospects camps and then gets send back to his college hockey team without a professional contract. In this case, the NCAA player has a lot more leverage than the Junior player. Plus, the NCAA player has more of an incentive of playing all 4 years, because he is attending school in the same time. Four full years means he gets his degree (these players often get scholarships for their contribution in sports and it's like having a free college education and it is a huge plus). Meanwhile, Junior players don't get paid for playing in Junior and they are much more eager to get out of Junior and turn professional so they can start to make some income. In this case, a Junior player is less likely to hold out and wait until his 4th year to become a free agent. In many ways, there are a lot more advantages for the NCAA player to wait 4 years than the Junior player and NCAA players holds more leverage when it comes to contract negotiation with their NHL teams who own their rights.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Problem is an 18-year-old Junior can sign a professional contract and be send back to their Junior club and play there. You can't sign a NCAA player and then send them back to college. The Junior player can be signed and then sent back to his Junior team and his NHL club holds all the playing cards. While the NCAA player will simply attend prospects camps and then gets send back to his college hockey team without a professional contract. In this case, the NCAA player has a lot more leverage than the Junior player. Plus, the NCAA player has more of an incentive of playing all 4 years, because he is attending school in the same time. Four full years means he gets his degree (these players often get scholarships for their contribution in sports and it's like having a free college education and it is a huge plus). Meanwhile, Junior players don't get paid for playing in Junior and they are much more eager to get out of Junior and turn professional so they can start to make some income. In this case, a Junior player is less likely to hold out and wait until his 4th year to become a free agent. In many ways, there are a lot more advantages for the NCAA player to wait 4 years than the Junior player and NCAA players holds more leverage when it comes to contract negotiation with their NHL teams who own their rights.

An unsigned junior player can effectively decline the team that drafted him within 2 years and re-enter the draft whereas the NCAA player is tied to their draft team for at least 4 years The 19 year old junior that gets drafted can become a free agent after just 2 years.

There are pluses and minuses with both but I don't think there are enough NCAA players turning down the team that drafted them to say we have to close the loophole for the NCAA players. Quite often the NHL team fails to offer contracts to some of these players after their 2nd or 3rd year and that results in the player staying in college for the 4 years and going the UFA route. I believe Alexander Kerfoot was an example of that this year.

It's not a big deal to me either way.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

So you think the oilers would be hesitant to sign him because they would have to send us a 5th?

No but Shultz for a 2nd or Vesey for a 3rd may have stopped the loophole. It’s not a bad proposition but the lower picks that turn out clearly it’d still be worth it. It’s not a flawless design but it’d be a better system than what it is now that’s for sure.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, thrago said:

What I don't understand is why can't a College hockey player sign a contract with the NHL? I had a job when I was in College, they didn't kick me out.  Seems to me like an old rule that someone thought had a purpose, but does it really?

You're right, don't know how far back this goes, but it does seem dated. On the other hand, it is a can of worms that might best be left unopened. Money and college kids could soon turn into being more about the money and less about education. I don't think that the colleges have much wiggle room. It's full amateur or full professional.

56 minutes ago, thrago said:

What I don't understand is why can't a College hockey player sign a contract with the NHL? I had a job when I was in College, they didn't kick me out.  Seems to me like an old rule that someone thought had a purpose, but does it really?

The NCAA considers themselves to be an amateur organization so signing s contract would nullify that athlete’s amateur status. As a regular college student (a muggle) you weren’t a part of the NCAA so these rules wouldn’t have applied. 

The rules are very stringent, even though plenty of big money programs (particularly basketball and football) cheat them. As an athlete, even accepting equipment that doesn’t come from your school or program’s sponsor can void your amateur status and be considered a violation. 

I agree that the rules are pretty bogus. There’s poor kids playing football at programs that are turning millions of dollars in profit (on the backs of these kids) that can’t afford to pay to feed themselves. Some kids play football games every Saturday, taking tremendous amounts of physical abuse, having not eaten since Thursday. It’s ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2018 at 11:31 AM, DeNiro said:

So Northeastern and BU are playing for the championship?

Yes it will be on TSN2 today at 4:30 pacific time. Hopefully its available in BC.

I hate the rare time I want to turn on say a winnipeg game just as background noise while making dinner or something and then you click on one of the tsn channels and it unavailable to watch. So I cant watch sportscenter on 5 channels but cant watch a different nhl game? We sure do get screwed over by cable companies! If you could stream canucks games live or record them on a streaming device and pvr shows I would cancel cable and just have internet

8 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Yes it will be on TSN2 today at 4:30 pacific time. Hopefully its available in BC.

I hate the rare time I want to turn on say a winnipeg game just as background noise while making dinner or something and then you click on one of the tsn channels and it unavailable to watch. So I cant watch sportscenter on 5 channels but cant watch a different nhl game? We sure do get screwed over by cable companies! If you could stream canucks games live or record them on a streaming device and pvr shows I would cancel cable and just have internet

just find someone willing to let you use their shaw or telus login info and stream it on their online services.  Works good for me.

Brady Tkachuk bulldozing his way to the net causes havoc and gets a goal for his team.

Exactly what we're missing.. pls benning draft him

edit: (overturned goalie interf). but still, first shift and he's already making an impact.

Edited by Odd.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Brady Tkachuk bulldozing his way to the net causes havoc and gets a goal for his team.

Exactly what we're missing.. pls benning draft him

edit: (overturned goalie interf). but still, first shift and he's already making an impact.

Can you imagine if we got 1st overall and picked Tkachuk. Then you'd have fans against Benning for not picking Tkachuk and fans against Benning for picking Tkachuk! lol

• Like 1