The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Draft Performance Poll

JamesB

Canuck Draft Performance Poll  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't fall on your way off the bandwagon. Honestly no gm would trade established vets at deadline when you are in the playoff picture. That is like saying 'good job on almost reaching the finish line, but I have to shoot some bullets into your feet just to make sure you don't.'

Keep painting that playoff picture then, and tell me in 3 years how that ends up okay? I've seen enough. My departure from your wagon corresponds with my favorite character being removed from the team. Benning was quoted in saying (among a number of other truist twiddles you frequently hear at the bar after 10 pm) as declaring if a good deal couldn't be made he wouldn't make one, however all I have seen so far is going out on a limb going for good old boy favorites, by keeping Miller instead of Lack, and allowing the team to get fleeced like that for one of the fan favourites..

If I pay attention to this team it's because I like the characters on board and we just lost a big one.

"but duh you know, it was a real good offer cuz apparently them guys on the east coast don't know nothing about our guys so you know, it is whut it is and I traded him for 3 peanuts anyways" Wasn't something I expected to hear from our GM.

Benning > Any of you peasants. Acting like you know how to scout. What a joke.

No sh!t Einstein, that said we can still give a evaluation on how we feel about the draft based on the players attributes and their scouting reports. All the players we drafted with exception of Boesser seems to be bottom tier players. The defencemens drafted, resemble bottom pairing dmans. The Russian player resembles a high risk high reward European factor player. Jasek is a skilled player, but is listed a 160lb 5'11 player. all these high risk high reward players, do I feel any of these guys can honestly make the NHL? probably not, based on history.

This draft is like a Wash, thus giving him a D.

I have no problem with the picks...I dont get the negativity on these boards as to they drafted the wrong players..?...For me,the disappointment comes in the failure to parlay our vet players (Bieksa) in to picks,and the meager return for Lack...

Also,why were we trying to acquire Milan Lucic..?...probably at the cost of our 1st round pick...I'm confused here..Were not contending anytime soon for the SC.

Canucks would be very wise to hang on to that 2016 pick...I'm expecting a housecleaning at the deadline.

Keep painting that playoff picture then, and tell me in 3 years how that ends up okay? I've seen enough. My departure from your wagon corresponds with my favorite character being removed from the team. Benning was quoted in saying (among a number of other truist twiddles you frequently hear at the bar after 10 pm) as declaring if a good deal couldn't be made he wouldn't make one, however all I have seen so far is going out on a limb going for good old boy favorites, by keeping Miller instead of Lack, and allowing the team to get fleeced like that for one of the fan favourites..

If I pay attention to this team it's because I like the characters on board and we just lost a big one.

"but duh you know, it was a real good offer cuz apparently them guys on the east coast don't know nothing about our guys so you know, it is whut it is and I traded him for 3 peanuts anyways" Wasn't something I expected to hear from our GM.

I am also very unhappy with the Lack situation. But, as Jason Botchford has pointed out, the decision on Lack was made when the Canucks signed Miller to a bloated contract last summer. Eddie Lack was always going to be a UFA after next year. By signing Miller for $6 million for 3 years, the Canucks guaranteed they could not afford to re-sign Eddie.

And after seeing the kind of return for goalies was available this year the contract Miller got looks even more ridiculous. I agree that once that contract with Miller was signed the Canucks were sunk. It is not tradable and there is no way Aquillini is going to be doing more buyouts are paying off Tortarella and Gillis last summer (not to mention buying out Ballard and Booth).

Linden was asked directly by Matt Sekeres if the Canucks made a mistake by signing Miller. Of course he had to defend the signing but he had the good grace to look flustered and to provide the weakest possible defence without insulting Miller and Benning.

I have no problem with the picks...I dont get the negativity on these boards as to they drafted the wrong players..?...For me,the disappointment comes in the failure to parlay our vet players (Bieksa) in to picks,and the meager return for Lack...

Also,why were we trying to acquire Milan Lucic..?...probably at the cost of our 1st round pick...I'm confused here..Were not contending anytime soon for the SC.

Canucks would be very wise to hang on to that 2016 pick...I'm expecting a housecleaning at the deadline.

Hope you are right. My worst fear is that the Canucks are somehow still vaguely in contention for a last playoff spot use that as an excuse not to be sellers at the deadline or, even worse, to trade picks for rentals in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs.

F. F- if that was an option.

Don't be fooled folks, this was an unmitigated disaster. The draft weekend gave us an important glimpse into what sort of GM we have on our hands. What Benning's moves suggest is that he is an incomplete, if not downright incompetent General Manager.

There is a very good reason teams like Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, NY (both flavors), and Detroit always seem to have pieces on hand to wheel and deal at critical junctures such as the deadline and draft. It's asset management, and it appears that our bumbling management group struggles mightily with that concept despite repeatedly espousing its importance at every moment. It's the very thing that allows teams to dictate the market and exploit opportunities when they arise.

Because they insist on moving out pieces in frivolous deals, and taking on dead contracts, components such as the Vey, Dorsett, Miller, McMillan will ensure that we have neither the cap space, nor ability to take on contracts and exploit weaknesses that could really help the team. I understand the fundamental desire to be competitive, but being competitive is more than simply making the playoffs. We need to be dangerous on the trade and waiver wire, we need to be enticing to free agents, we need to always appear to be in a position of strength, not weakness, so that even when the team is losing, it is not an indictment of the management and thus the franchise as a whole. That's the complete definition of being competitive and that's what I think that's what most of the fans in this city want when they express a desire for a rebuild.

Gillis, for all the grief we gave him, at least understood this on some basic level. Benning and co. have made panic move after panic move in reaction to the market while failing to bridge the growing divide between the Canucks and the Pacific division breakeven line. And the worst part is, it's already too late to do anything about it. Fans are given only a small window into the day to day operations of the team. We judge the successes and failings of the management by the resultant deals they broker. By the time we see the writings on the wall, more zealous GMs have long picked the bones dry. It looks like we have nothing left to offer teams because we don't. Attempting to rebuild now would yield middling results at best. We've lost our sunday best and are now resigned to walking the town in rags.

I'll continue to support this team through thick and thin, because that's the deal here, but damnit if Benning isn't making it hard.

Just to be fair if you read my other posts today, I said we will miss the playoff. Second I was arguing why he didn't trade vets last season as we are in the playoff picture. This have no bearing on the future. Third I agree we didn't get enough for Lack but that is just the market. Unless you can swindle a better deal, you have no right to complain.

Fourth, you are following this team for the wrong reason if you only follow this team for fun characters. Have fun being a Carolina fan.

What is the problem here? People not feeling entertained after the excitement of the last 2 drafts? JB did exactly what he said he was going to do.

Pick at 23

Trade a goalie

Get more picks

Just because people let the media escalate their expectations doesn't mean JB didnt do his job this weekend.

Asking CDC how JB did at the draft is like asking Ja Rule what he thinks about national security.

Most folks didn't even know who Rantanen was. That they have any opinion of any of our picks is just a function of going "I don't know his name so he must suck". You want name brands, go to Robson St. For what JB had going into the draft (since he's already converted 2 picks into Derek Dorsett and Sven Baertschi), we got some real solid late round picks this year. Like, best late round picks I've ever seen in Vancouver.

Benning did fine. It takes 3-4 years to grade a draft haul and I think the kid he grabbed at 210 might be a steal. I have realized over the years that nothing any GM ever does makes anyone happy. Everyone says we could have got a second for Lack, but from who? The Canes offered a third. Their second was a really high second and a lot of guys slid out of the first round.

The players Benning passed on, every GM passed on them which is why they dropped when they did. There are reasons we don't see as to why they dropped. Maybe their interviews went badly. Maybe their physical tests went badly. When I see people complaining about who was taken in the 4th or 5th round, I know they're insane.

Make up your minds. If you want a rebuild, don't ask for Lucic and veteran players who cost a lot of money. Let there be spots in the line up for rookies like Virtanen or Shinkaruk. If you want the team to retool, then respect that Miller is an important goaltender to keep the team competitive from year to year. Lack/Markstrom as the tandem last season would have meant missing the playoffs. Benning was told to keep this team in the playoffs.

Bieksa is on the downside of his career, played poorly last season and makes too much money. When I see people saying he is worth a second, I want someone to point out which team's GM wants to get fired for throwing a second for Bieksa in a deep draft like this one was. Which team trades a second for Lack, a goalie who has never been a starter for a full season and is a year from free agency? This isn't NHL 15 and other GMs are not trying to help the Canucks get better. It is harder than ever to make trades in the NHL.

Here's a checked box that I like. The Canucks now have a full set of young prospects who project as top 6.

Baertschi McCann Virtanen

Shinkaruk Horvat Boeser

It is nice to see we have player on the right side coming up. It is sad Burrows had to be moved from LW to RW when we had zero right wingers to use. The Canucks are lucky he worked with the Sedins, because it was a move out of desperation. Virtanen with the Sedins.... hopefully he is ready before they lose another step. I think he is going to be the sniper the Canucks need badly.

Can't say I know enough about the picks to criticize, and I'll trust the Canucks mgt they did well there, but I voted D based on two things: the return on Lack, and primarily Benning talking WAY too much in the media about what he was planning to do with Lack and Bieksa. The media won't call him on it for obvious reasons, but man oh man, that just isn't what one does in negotiations.

broser will be a future assistant captain of our team. Hes a character guy. dunno about broiserhois. maybe top 4 defensemen and future expendable asset? I bet when Benning sells our players in trades all he says is ''he is good''. hence the poor return for lack

1. Boeser

2. Baertschi

3. Brisebois

That's solid, then we FINALLY ADD A RUSSIAN. One with great upside. Jasek was a nice pick too. I'm happy with the drafting, but I'll only give a C+ because a better deal could have been had for Lack and Bieksa is still here.

You think he turned down better offers for Lack? Many here had Lacks value overrated. I hoped for a mid to late second. An early third plus a 7th is close enough. Obviously it was the best offer on the table and the one situation that really needed to be dealt with.

You're complaining we didn't get value for Lack. It's also obvious why Bieksa is still here: offers weren't good enough. It stands to reason you'd still be complaining had Benning moved Bieksa for a poor return. Benning has until next spring (if need be) to move him and get a reasonable return. This is a move Benning can be patient with.

I happy enough with what was done for the draft.

Benning did fine. It takes 3-4 years to grade a draft haul and I think the kid he grabbed at 210 might be a steal. I have realized over the years that nothing any GM ever does makes anyone happy. Everyone says we could have got a second for Lack, but from who? The Canes offered a third. Their second was a really high second and a lot of guys slid out of the first round.

The players Benning passed on, every GM passed on them which is why they dropped when they did. There are reasons we don't see as to why they dropped. Maybe their interviews went badly. Maybe their physical tests went badly. When I see people complaining about who was taken in the 4th or 5th round, I know they're insane.

Make up your minds. If you want a rebuild, don't ask for Lucic and veteran players who cost a lot of money. Let there be spots in the line up for rookies like Virtanen or Shinkaruk. If you want the team to retool, then respect that Miller is an important goaltender to keep the team competitive from year to year. Lack/Markstrom as the tandem last season would have meant missing the playoffs. Benning was told to keep this team in the playoffs.

Bieksa is on the downside of his career, played poorly last season and makes too much money. When I see people saying he is worth a second, I want someone to point out which team's GM wants to get fired for throwing a second for Bieksa in a deep draft like this one was. Which team trades a second for Lack, a goalie who has never been a start for a full season and is a year from free agency? This isn't NHL 15 and other GMs are not trying to help the Canucks get better. It is harder than ever to make trades in the NHL.

lehner and talbot say hi

You think he turned down better offers for Lack? Many here had Lacks value overrated. I hoped for a mid to late second. An early third plus a 7th is close enough. Obviously it was the best offer on the table and the one situation that really needed to be dealt with.

You're complaining we didn't get value for Lack. It's also obvious why Bieksa is still here: offers weren't good enough. It stands to reason you'd still be complaining had Benning moved Bieksa for a poor return. Benning has until next spring (if need be) to move him and get a reasonable return. This is a move Benning can be patient with.

I happy enough with what was done for the draft.

Someone needs to drive the B line and get Bieksa the fck outta here

Archived