The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Draft Performance Poll

JamesB

Canuck Draft Performance Poll  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You think he turned down better offers for Lack? Many here had Lacks value overrated. I hoped for a mid to late second. An early third plus a 7th is close enough. Obviously it was the best offer on the table and the one situation that really needed to be dealt with.

You're complaining we didn't get value for Lack. It's also obvious why Bieksa is still here: offers weren't good enough. It stands to reason you'd still be complaining had Benning moved Bieksa for a poor return. Benning has until next spring (if need be) to move him and get a reasonable return. This is a move Benning can be patient with.

I happy enough with what was done for the draft.

bro keeping Bieksa here on the team till spring will cost us the playoffs because he gonna turnover da puck all day everyday

lehner and talbot say hi

Talbot had a better year than Lack. I watched the Rangers and he was playing out of his mind, better than Lundqvist actually. Lehner is a matter of Buffalo seeing a starter there. They believe he will be their goaltender for the next decade, I guess. I don't see it, but Buffalo had extra picks to play with. The pick the Rangers got for Talbot was 9 ahead of what the Canucks got for Lack, hardly a massive difference.

Everyone needs to also relax on the lack trade, it had to happen so markstrom wasn't lost on waivers at the start of the season. It may of been a little less then most wanted but I'm just happy we didn't lose a goalie for nothing.
Markstrom is a RFA. They just have to make a qualifying offer to retain his rights. Now, he may have chosen to play in Sweden, but the Canucks, I believe, would have retained his NHL rights as they made the qualifying offer.

Donno how to interpret this draft really. I had high hopes that Juice would be moved, the Canucks would at least attain a mid second round pick, and pluck a defenceman in the first round but management felt they did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. I am honestly disappointed in Benning and Linden and feel this team light years away from contending again. There is no real idea of which direction the team is headed because the fan base hasn't been given one. Last year it was make the playoffs and after this draft it seems as if we are going into an unofficial rebuild. I'm confused.

The NTC's handed out in years past have handcuffed current management no doubt but moves like signing Sbisa and Dorsett to lengthy over market value exensions, signing Ryan Miller, losing Lack for next to nothing and not addressing immediate organizational needs in drafting defenceman in the first/second rounds for a few years now is mind boggling as a fan. I'm not impressed with the current direction the team is headed and with how much better the west is getting I feel it's going to be a lengthy playoff drought.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I don't know if the Sedins or the core convinced JB to give them one more shot but last summer, we sign vets like Vrbata and Miller. We give extensions to Sbisa and Dorsett (for a hefty price tag). The canucks like they have done so often the past 3 years, fool us in the regular season and lay an egg in the playoffs. The other years, the teams that knocked us out were cup contenders so the problem wasn't as magnified but losing to the flames and their youth and inexperience (while missing their captain and best dman) should make it clear that this core needs to go. We have a lot of vets on their way down hill but it seems that they may play kesler hardball with their ntc.

Now it seems like he wants to trade some but are handcuffed.

Solution? scratch them or waive them.

Roll a line of

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Virtanen Gaunce Grenier

Jensen

Edler Tanev

Clendenning Hamhuis

Corrado Stanton

Sbisa

Miller

Markstrom

Trade bait early season:

Higgins, Bieksa, Dorsett, Burrows

Deadline trade bait:

Vrbata, Miller, Sbisa, Hamhuis, Edler

While I type this, I think it's ridiculous that we extended Sbisa and Dorsett to multiple years... We have younger and cheaper to fill their roles at similar level of play.

If JB doesn't rebuild this year and tries to make the playoffs again, I will think he is completely retarded.

I give him a pass last year as it was his first season with the team and maybe wanted to give them one last chance to make it work. However a first round loss to the flames should make it clear that this core group cannot get it done.

C. Definitely wasn't terrible, but there was a lot of build up for nothing. Doesn't mean things can't happen throughout July though. Just means we won't be stocking the prospect pool until 2016. I really hope JB moves some vets through July; otherwise I'd give him a D/F.

Was this likely the best we could do with Lack?

Yep

Does that let Benning off the hook?

Nope.

What you do is not sign Miller in the first place when defense is our most glaring hole, not netminding. Lack and a cheaply signed backup would have got us through the year and don.';t give me any nonesense about what if Lack got hurt because some of you are clearly fine this season if Miller goes down and going with Markstrom as a backup to starter.

The JB hate is phenomenal. Canucks fans ARE the worst

:picard:

Yes because whatever move/trade or draft pick he makes will be stellar *rolls eyes*

I don't blame upset fans one bit, he let our division rivals steamroll us and made one questionable trade.

Not a great weekend in Nuckville.

Yep

Nope.

What you do is not sign Miller in the first place when defense is our most glaring hole, not netminding. Lack and a cheaply signed backup would have got us through the year and don.';t give me any nonesense about what if Lack got hurt because some of you are clearly fine this season if Miller goes down and going with Markstrom as a backup to starter.

If Lack had started all season, the Canucks miss the playoffs. Benning was told to make the playoffs and he brought in the top rated UFA to get the team there. The Flames did the same thing with Hiller, a goaltender who didn't perform better than his back up, Ramo. Like it or not, the ownership of the Canucks want the team in the playoffs, no matter the cost.

The Boeser pick is okay, but the rest of the draft is a question mark. Would like to see more from the Lack trade, but it is a buyers' market and the goalie position is one of the most easily replaceable. No Bieksa trade yet. McNally for 7th rounder is good, but the pick is ?. Our 2nd for Baertschi is good. I would give management a C.

Everyone needs to also relax on the lack trade, it had to happen so markstrom wasn't lost on waivers at the start of the season. It may of been a little less then most wanted but I'm just happy we didn't lose a goalie for nothing.
Markstrom is a RFA. They just have to make a qualifying offer to retain his rights. Now, he may have chosen to play in Sweden, but the Canucks, I believe, would have retained his NHL rights as they made the qualifying offer.

A lot of people are going to say that it was a hopeless failure, but what they don't understand is that Benning knows exactly what he's doing and he totally gamed every other GM this draft. All those players beyond Boeser will be effective NHLers or Comets and will build up the winning atmosphere we need to ice a competitive, winning team that will entertain fans for years and years.

It's a business, and the Canucks will be making money forever. It's a great thing for everyone involved.

I give Dim Jim an F- too. To even have considered trading for Lucic was moronic. Playing for the Canucks

Lucic would be penalized and suspended constantly. Signing Miller to a three yeat six million dollar contract was moronic as well.

Yep

Nope.

Did you watch Lack down the stretch after Lou was moved? Lack basically forced Benning to bring in a vet goalie. Which in turn meant Lack or Markstrom would have to be moved at some point.

The draft could've gone better, could've gone worse too. Obviously wasn't impressed with the return for Lack like everyone else. Was surprised by the Boeser pick, I didn't think they'd grab Konecny, I was expected a defender because thats what benning kept talking about. However, there is plenty of promise with Boeser so I don't mind the first rouder :). Also I was really hoping we'd make a big move too, either O'Reilly (which I thought was slim chances the whole time, but why not hope right?) and I was honestly starting to expect Lucic come to Vancouver especially when reports said Vancouver was one of his teams he'd waive his NTC for, but OH WELL. With Edmonton, Calgary, LA, Anaheim, and even Arizona getting better over the draft weekend it's going to be a rough season next year and will be going downhill with San Jose.

Fail. It's not that there was a better deal for Lack or that the picks were so bad. But so many of the issues that have built up over time came to the fore in these last two days. The big one is the stated goal of getting younger, bigger and faster is directly contradicted by the refusal to move vets at the deadline (unlike Calgary), and some questionable acquisitions of older players like Miller. We are up against the cap, need to move established players at every position to accommodate waiver-eligible players coming up from Utica, and we are getting forced to move the players we should be keeping and getting very little for them. In short, we don't have a coherent asset management strategy and are getting exposed big time.

Archived