The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd honestly love to see him next year on a bit of a sheltered 'kid' 4th line.

Have your first three lines, no sheltering needed:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Podz/Hogs

Roussel/MacEwan, Sutter/TBD, Motte

Then (though they honestly might not need a lot of sheltering/or only initially) something like:

Highmore, Jasek, Podz/Hogs

...with lots of Ozone starts etc. Let them get their feet wet in easy usage and pad their scoring, get their confidence etc. Then later in the year/the next year once they're acclimated you just roll 4 lines.

Certainly a possibility but I suppose we will have to see how the off season shapes up and if either or both of Sutter & Beagle are still in the mix. I do not know anything about Highmore but the combo of Jasek and Podkolzin could really turn out to be something special IMO

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Certainly a possibility but I suppose we will have to see how the off season shapes up and if either or both of Sutter & Beagle are still in the mix. I do not know anything about Highmore but the combo of Jasek and Podkolzin could really turn out to be something special IMO

They're both play makers... They'd either need a shooter as third guy or Hoglander might be a better fit IMO. That would depend though on how ready for Horvat's wing Podkolzin is.

But yeah we either need Sutter, Beagle (or ideally and upgrade) for that '3rd' line.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They're both play makers... They'd either need a shooter as third guy or Hoglander might be a better fit IMO. That would depend though on how ready for Horvat's wing Podkolzin is.

That they are and that is why I thought they might be better on the 3rd line as both are also very conscientious defensively. They would need either a legit goal scorer on the line to complement them as you had mentioned, or begin to develop some shooting ability. Jasek seems to have some of that but needs to work on having a better wrister. I have not seen much of Podkolzin in action just a few clips here and there but feel the potential is there to be a shooter as well. It just needs to be worked on. Lots of positions to be sorted out for next season but I think the team could be a much improved one next season and beyond. Would prefer Jasek to be a center though vs being a winger. I think he is better suited in that position.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

Arguably one of the most consistent Comets this season, Jasek needs to be given a shot at the NHL level here.

With the Canucks calling up Gadjovich, Lockwood, Lind etc, Jasek has earned his shot at a look with the big club. He is being largely overlooked. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Arguably one of the most consistent Comets this season, Jasek needs to be given a shot at the NHL level here.

With the Canucks calling up Gadjovich, Lockwood, Lind etc, Jasek has earned his shot at a look with the big club. He is being largely overlooked. 

Wonder if they're well aware of what they have but want him playing big minutes in Utica the rest of the year? Then give him a shot next camp.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Hard not to agree, you just hope it's them wanting to get a hold of that C position better. As he seems to have a knack for it. Center is so much harder to learn at the NHL level. For sure he is in line to take that 3 C spot next year. You're right he has earned that chance.

24 games played this year, 21 points. Number 1 C in Utica. Plays PP and PK. Defensively aware. He fits the bill perfectly. Really hope to see him full time with the big club next year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

It's his versatility that's impressive.   Last 2 games he has had shifts centering Anas and Baertschi, some shifts as Focht's winger and some as the winger on the Stevens brothers line.  First PP unit and first PK unit, and is given first overtime shift centering Baertschi with Woo on D

He's a pass first Center though, not too well suited to be paired with a couple of puck-diggers.  Needs a finisher, which is why he meshed well with Boucher last season and with Baertschi this year.  Powerplay runs through him.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

It's his versatility that's impressive.   Last 2 games he has had shifts centering Anas and Baertschi, some shifts as Focht's winger and some as the winger on the Stevens brothers line.  First PP unit and first PK unit, and is given first overtime shift centering Baertschi with Woo on D

He's a pass first Center though, not too well suited to be paired with a couple of puck-diggers.  Needs a finisher, which is why he meshed well with Boucher last season and with Baertschi this year.  Powerplay runs through him.  

With number of call up recently he must be wondering if he's the forgotten man. He seems to be a solid player from what I can gather

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

With number of call up recently he must be wondering if he's the forgotten man. He seems to be a solid player from what I can gather

Imo Jasek is bound for a Euro league.  He’s got some skill, but he’s slight and plays soft.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Imo Jasek is bound for a Euro league.  He’s got some skill, but he’s slight and plays soft.  

Probably right.  He's 6' and 171 lbs.  A not-quite-as-tall Pettersson.  Fairly durable though, wins his share of puck battles

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I wouldn’t say “soft.” I’d agree he doesn’t offer any kind of punishing, physical presence. He’s just not built for it. Doesn’t lay out big hits or throw his weight around in scrums. But he also doesn’t back down or shy away. He’s really effective along the wall, battles hard (and wins more puck battles than he loses), and isn’t afraid to take pucks to the net, or battle for position.

The Comets list him at 180lbs, which isn’t bad for a guy who’s about 6’ and does have a more narrow frame. He’ll never be considered big or strong, especially for a centreman, but he’s big enough and strong enough to be successful in his role (or at least has been, at the AHL level).

I’d agree that he’s more likely to not make the NHL than he is to make the NHL. I’d say the same about nearly every prospect, other than Podkolzin. So Europe is a likely destination, if the NHL doesn’t work out.

I’d just disagree with saying he’s too “slight” or too “soft” for the NHL.

(But certainly, if he was 6’3”, born in small town Saskatchewan, and was having the same level of success, role, and impact in the AHL as Jasek has for Utica this season, he’d probably already have been called up for NHL games with the Canucks, and would likely be pencilled in as a sure-fire Beagle/Sutter replacement.)

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I wouldn’t say “soft.” I’d agree he doesn’t offer any kind of punishing, physical presence. He’s just not built for it. Doesn’t lay out big hits or throw his weight around in scrums. But he also doesn’t back down or shy away. He’s really effective along the wall, battles hard (and wins more puck battles than he loses), and isn’t afraid to take pucks to the net, or battle for position.

The Comets list him at 180lbs, which isn’t bad for a guy who’s about 6’ and does have a more narrow frame. He’ll never be considered big or strong, especially for a centreman, but he’s big enough and strong enough to be successful in his role (or at least has been, at the AHL level).

I’d agree that he’s more likely to not make the NHL than he is to make the NHL. I’d say the same about nearly every prospect, other than Podkolzin. So Europe is a likely destination, if the NHL doesn’t work out.

I’d just disagree with saying he’s too “slight” or too “soft” for the NHL.

(But certainly, if he was 6’3”, born in small town Saskatchewan, and was having the same level of success, role, and impact in the AHL as Jasek has for Utica this season, he’d probably already have been called up for NHL games with the Canucks, and would likely be pencilled in as a sure-fire Beagle/Sutter replacement.)

It’s not where he’s from.  It’s how he plays.  Imo he’s way too easy to play against.  His level of skill doesn’t compensate for his lack of physicality.  I hope I’m totally wrong and Jasek turns into an important player for us.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s not where he’s from.  It’s how he plays.  Imo he’s way too easy to play against.  His level of skill doesn’t compensate for his lack of physicality.  I hope I’m totally wrong and Jasek turns into an important player for us.  

If he even turns out to be just a very good AHL player and gets the odd call up to fill for an injured player it would be a plus in my books. After all he was a 6th round pick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Utica’s leading scorer now, after adding two assists last game (Sam Anas still has higher points per game, however).

Still, 23 points (19 assists) in 25 games is pretty impressive stuff.

They aren't easy assists any more either.  For a few games he could just pass to Rathbone on the PP, and watch as he blasted it to the net and Gadjovich tipped it in or jammed home a greasy rebound.  

I wonder if last season was an aberration - more goals (14) than assists (13).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

They aren't easy assists any more either.  For a few games he could just pass to Rathbone on the PP, and watch as he blasted it to the net and Gadjovich tipped it in or jammed home a greasy rebound.  

I wonder if last season was an aberration - more goals (14) than assists (13).

Perhaps it’s just him really settling into his role down the middle? Plus, wasn’t he playing with Baer and Goldy for a significant part of last season? Those are two guys who want the puck and tend to be more playmaker wingers, so he might have let them create the plays, and looked to get open to finish. Whereas this season, he might be looking to be more of a distributor, and setting up his wingers to score.

He has put up more goals than assists a couple seasons in the past. You have to go back a few years though, to his Czech days.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Perhaps it’s just him really settling into his role down the middle? Plus, wasn’t he playing with Baer and Goldy for a significant part of last season? Those are two guys who want the puck and tend to be more playmaker wingers, so he might have let them create the plays, and looked to get open to finish. Whereas this season, he might be looking to be more of a distributor, and setting up his wingers to score.

He has put up more goals than assists a couple seasons in the past. You have to go back a few years though, to his Czech days.

Seems to speak to his adaptability and IQ.

The guy just seems to be so teachable and adaptable to what the team/coach needs. Coaches must love him.

He may have only a bottom 6 ceiling, if he can indeed adapt to the NHL level, but I can't wait to see him get his shot soon (hopefully not with Seattle).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 9:54 AM, aGENT said:

Seems to speak to his adaptability and IQ.

The guy just seems to be so teachable and adaptable to what the team/coach needs. Coaches must love him.

He may have only a bottom 6 ceiling, if he can indeed adapt to the NHL level, but I can't wait to see him get his shot soon (hopefully not with Seattle).

I mean… I’d rather lose Jasek than Gadjovich 

• Cheers 1