The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I always believed Jasekwas a good prospect and can't for the life of me think what scouts have against him or a flaw that's maybe not noticable

I suspect it’s mostly a size issue and the usual biases around him being both European and of a slight build. He’s a pretty feisty kid and works his butt off along the boards, but he’s still probably around 180ish pounds (maybe even under that) at 6’1”, so he’s not built like your prototypical 3C, and he definitely didn’t have that kind of pedigree and profile.

It still surprises me, however, that they never gave him a look. Especially that one season when he was basically Utica’s 1C, top minute forward, one of the first choices for taking key draws (including D-zone), and one of their main special teams guys, both PK and PP. 

Jasek always kept his head up, but I also know he felt personally hurt by the organization never giving him an opportunity, especially after he’d been such a “good soldier” and done everything they’d asked of him. It’s a pretty rare thing for a Euro kid who was basically seen as a winger to come over, switch to C (which he hadn’t really played with much regularity since he was a junior), and thrive in the position. And while he was always viewed as a speed/skill guy, he was able to quickly establish himself as a very steady defensive player, through hard work and determination, and really absorbing his coaching. Like I said, the kid worked so hard and he basically solved their roster issues by converting himself into a top level two-way centre in the AHL, which the Comets really needed at the time. Usually that kind of performance gets rewarded. Especially when the NHL club is in the basement of the standings and has no reason not to audition their prospects and depth guys. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suspect it’s mostly a size issue and the usual biases around him being both European and of a slight build. He’s a pretty feisty kid and works his butt off along the boards, but he’s still probably around 180ish pounds (maybe even under that) at 6’1”, so he’s not built like your prototypical 3C, and he definitely didn’t have that kind of pedigree and profile.

It still surprises me, however, that they never gave him a look. Especially that one season when he was basically Utica’s 1C, top minute forward, one of the first choices for taking key draws (including D-zone), and one of their main special teams guys, both PK and PP. 

Jasek always kept his head up, but I also know he felt personally hurt by the organization never giving him an opportunity, especially after he’d been such a “good soldier” and done everything they’d asked of him. It’s a pretty rare thing for a Euro kid who was basically seen as a winger to come over, switch to C (which he hadn’t really played with much regularity since he was a junior), and thrive in the position. And while he was always viewed as a speed/skill guy, he was able to quickly establish himself as a very steady defensive player, through hard work and determination, and really absorbing his coaching. Like I said, the kid worked so hard and he basically solved their roster issues by converting himself into a top level two-way centre in the AHL, which the Comets really needed at the time. Usually that kind of performance gets rewarded. Especially when the NHL club is in the basement of the standings and has no reason not to audition their prospects and depth guys. 

Fully agree. Not sure whether he would have established himself in the NHL, but that he didn't even get a single game in his 4 years in North America surprises. He could have been the 'new Burrows'. 

• 3 months later...