The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tate Olson | D

saucypass

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Olson play against Kamloops last night. Does not appear to be on the #1 PP or #1 PK. Seems to jump up into the play quickly. 1 GA while on the ice but not his doing. Prince George all but has #1 in their division sewed up.

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Prince George ties up the series 1-1 with a 5-1 win tonight; no points, +2 for Olson in the game.

He took a pretty heavy hit too and left for a little bit but eventually came back. 

Gotta feel for Prince George, first season in a long time that they've had such a good team and they're upset in the first round.

My guess is that Olson will get signed but I wouldn't say its a sure thing... contract space could become an issue for next season and with Brisebois, Chatfield, Olson, and Neill all potentially turning pro next year I wonder if maybe Olson or Neill gets passed over.

40 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gotta feel for Prince George, first season in a long time that they've had such a good team and they're upset in the first round.

My guess is that Olson will get signed but I wouldn't say its a sure thing... contract space could become an issue for next season and with Brisebois, Chatfield, Olson, and Neill all potentially turning pro next year I wonder if maybe Olson or Neill gets passed over.

I think that will depend on whether Benning can sign more FAs. If a guy like Raddysh signs you could see one or both of those guys passed over. Also depends on what kinds of trades benning makes this summer. Wont be at all surprised if Edler or Hutton and McEneny or Subban are packaged together for a very good offensive prospect. Canucks have a lot of D prospects that could be 4 to 6 D guys and need some offensive forwards in trades.

48 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I'm thinking Olson and Neill lost the spot to Chatfield but I guess it's possible one of them still gets a contract. It doesn't look that way to me but we will find out soon.

49 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I think Neill was drafted in his overage year so he may not be eligible for the NHL draft this year. So, in theory, his signing could be delayed or he may be able to be coaxed into signing an AHL deal.

Olson has to be signed to an entry deal or he gets to re-enter the draft. Though, I suspect if he re-enters, he likely doesn't get selected. So, again, in theory he could signed after the deadline but the Canucks are gambling on whether or not he's selected by another team or not.

With Neill's history with Brisebois (who is playing with Neill on the Charlottetown Islanders), my gut says that Neill has the upper hand in an Olson/Neill debate. Though, Olson is younger so that may factor into things. Frankly, the Canucks can never have too many defensemen it seems so signing both isn't the *worst* idea.

It really will depend if the Canucks can lure a guy like Darren Raddysh or some College UFA D-man or not.

On 2017-04-03 at 10:55 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Edmonds blew it. Whenever we had something going Portland would come down within the next couple of shifts and take the momentum right back. Prime example was Game 5. McAuley ties the game after O'Brien made it 3-2, the place is going absolutely bananas, then 59 seconds later Edmonds lets one in through his legs. 

Archived