The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tate Olson | D

saucypass

Future can fav Olson of the Vancouver canucks. Gonna be a top 6 d on this team in a few years. He's gonna be a please to surprise. Quote me on it!

Hate when ppl say quote me on it but couldn't resist lol

My friend lives in PG and went to lots of games this past year watching Tate Olsen. So I asked him regards to him what he thought about Tate Olsen and his fit in the Canuck system.

He said Tate is a very honest player. Lays it all out on the ice when he plays. Needs work on his decision making as he tends to sometimes panic but overall will be a solid top six dman in a few years. Said that Tate Olsen likes to look for the big hit so sometimes leaves him out of position which in part is what my friend suggested needs working on his decision making.

From my friend's perspective he is pretty optimistic Olsen will suit up for the Canucks.

Dude every 7th round pick is a project lol. And if he turns into a 5th/6th D man than yeah I would sure hope you call it a win

Right. Any 7th rounder even plays one game in the NHL has beaten long odds to get there.

Yep. So when I say I've seen him a lot, I mean almost all the home games this year. Judging by your username you do too?

Nice to get input from someone who can see him play quite a lot. That is one negative with picks in Russia or North Dakota (where Boeser will be). It is hard to get much information on them. And even stat lines are harder to interpret.

My friend lives in PG and went to lots of games this past year watching Tate Olsen. So I asked him regards to him what he thought about Tate Olsen and his fit in the Canuck system.

He said Tate is a very honest player. Lays it all out on the ice when he plays. Needs work on his decision making as he tends to sometimes panic but overall will be a solid top six dman in a few years. Said that Tate Olsen likes to look for the big hit so sometimes leaves him out of position which in part is what my friend suggested needs working on his decision making.

From my friend's perspective he is pretty optimistic Olsen will suit up for the Canucks.

So he's another Sbisa? CDC will love that.

• 4 weeks later...

Three words for Olson: Hakan Andersson steal.

I just cannot believe anyone could have got him at 210th overall. He's a great player, has all the tools to be a future Chris Pronger - he just needs to keep up his work ethic and strive to get better.

Three words for Olson: Hakan Andersson steal.

I just cannot believe anyone could have got him at 210th overall. He's a great player, has all the tools to be a future Chris Pronger - he just needs to keep up his work ethic and strive to get better.

Chris Pronger was drafted in 1993.. since then, many, many, many defensemen have been drafted with far superior skills than Tate Olsen and not a single one has turned into the next Pronger.

Temper expectations. Especially with a 7th rounder

Chris Pronger was drafted in 1993.. since then, many, many, many defensemen have been drafted with far superior skills than Tate Olsen and not a single one has turned into the next Pronger.

Temper expectations. Especially with a 7th rounder

He has the tools - of course there is no guarantee he will, but he can. And you're missing my point, Tate with his tools probably should have gone higher, still no guarantee it will pan out, but it's a promise.

Count on the Nucks to develop him in two years to be a great blueliner.

He has the tools - of course there is no guarantee he will, but he can. And you're missing my point, Tate with his tools probably should have gone higher, still no guarantee it will pan out, but it's a promise.

Count on the Nucks to develop him in two years to be a great blueliner.

I love the optimism, and I actually like the pick myself.. but its still a seventh round pick. I won't be counting on him developing into a great player because so very few players taken in the later rounds become even 'decent' players by NHL standards (100+ career NHL games).

I will however pay attention to his development and hope to see positive steps and maybe one day he'll progress into an NHL player. Counting on greatness from any newly drafted player is high hopes.. counting on greatness from a seventh rounder is setting yourself up for disappointment.

He's definitely got a lot of skill his problem is that he's not exactly the safest D-man to have out there. He makes too many mistakes. That being said he's a heck of a nice guy and has flashes of brilliance but I'd say he's got a long way to go if he wants to make the show

Archived