The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What year do you guys think we will officially start the rebuild?

It has begun no matter what the organization thinks or says. Fact of the matter is this team as it stands it's too old, too slow, and simply not good enough to come remotely close to contending. I honestly, truly believe management is too scared to come out and admit to season ticket holders and fans that a full rebuild is necessary in order to stockpile young talent even though it is inevitable. I also think the Aquilini's are worried if the Canucks go into full rebuild ticket prices will plummet because fans won't have the same interest (it also is inevitable) and revenue could drop for a few years until the team is rebuilt and are legit again. I believe management and ownership are caught between a rock and a hard place in deciding which avenue to take even though it's blatantly obvious and the fans in Vancouver, although fickle, can't be fooled.

Hate to break it to you, the rebuild started last year when a full third of the team was replaced. Not to mention three rookies on the roster last season. Just because it's not the type of rebuild some want doesn't mean we are not currently in a rebuild.

Btw, the Sedins were a bust, then they would never be top line players. What happened? You can't say we don't have any top line talent in the system because you have no idea how well they will develop. There's plenty of top end talent in this league that were not drafted in the top five, or even in the first round for that matter.

I think Benning would be smart to offload some veterans at the deadline if the club is out of the playoff picture.

Boston may not have taken the best 3 picks at 13, 14, 15 yesterday but i like the fact their GM asked players with NTC to waive which come tdl Benning will have to do. Maybe not all of them waive but if a couple do you can get some decent assets.

Id like to think a mix of Vrbata, Higgins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Burrows, Bonino etc some be able to land us an assortment of additional first second & third rounders and / or some prospects further along the development cycle.

I can understand keeping some pieces to help the younger guys transition to the NHL game and how to be professional etc.

If they manage to bungle pending UFAs at the TDL then this regime really has failed

Hate to break it to you, the rebuild started last year when a full third of the team was replaced. Not to mention three rookies on the roster last season. Just because it's not the type of rebuild some want doesn't mean we are not currently in a rebuild.

Btw, the Sedins were a bust, then they would never be top line players. What happened? You can't say we don't have any top line talent in the system because you have no idea how well they will develop. There's plenty of top end talent in this league that were not drafted in the top five, or even in the first round for that matter.

The way Jake Virtanen plays is so much like Corey Perry, if not much faster and a stronger game than Perry. Hope he develops into a Corey Perry type player for us! Of course, let's not forget The Ox. May not have started strong but finished really well. I think he went under the radar because of Ekblad and Gaudreau.

I been adamant since yesterday when I heard Benning had SJ's 2016 2nd on the table for Bieksa.....Benning held out for a lower 5th or 6th for this year as well and SJ said bye bye...

THAT to me is the new bar set for BIEKSA.

MARK NY WORD. ....SJ is going to be right there with us in our division and possibly the conference

So the situation is.....

And I want you to remember this at this exact time next year........

- when we could've had a VERY HIGH 2nd for Bieksa-

And they may get that at the trade deadline. Bieksa, Hammer, Vrbata, possibly Higgins and Jensen may all be moved. 2016 may end up being one of the best drafts ever. Especially when they probably have a top ten pic due to now making the playoffs.

2016 will see several prospects good enough to join the team.

I suppose you can call it a rebuild, but it won't look anything like the Oilers.

It has begun no matter what the organization thinks or says. Fact of the matter is this team as it stands it's too old, too slow, and simply not good enough to come remotely close to contending. I honestly, truly believe management is too scared to come out and admit to season ticket holders and fans that a full rebuild is necessary in order to stockpile young talent even though it is inevitable. I also think the Aquilini's are worried if the Canucks go into full rebuild ticket prices will plummet because fans won't have the same interest (it also is inevitable) and revenue could drop for a few years until the team is rebuilt and are legit again. I believe management and ownership are caught between a rock and a hard place in deciding which avenue to take even though it's blatantly obvious and the fans in Vancouver, although fickle, can't be fooled.

They're not trying to "fool" anybody. The organization has said they need to get younger. They've said they want to remain "competitive" while rebuilding. What they haven't mentioned is "contending" during this time. There's no rock and a hard they've been completely upfront with what they're doing. Anybody thinking they're trying to fool them is actually just fooling themselves.

I don't know what to make of what's happening.

I see the picks as weak. There were better options available at almost every pick. I don't get it.

Benning is known for his scouting. He obviously sees things that we don't. This could, potentially, be the defining weekend of his tenure in Vancouver.

As I've said in another post; there was so much potential available in deals that could've helped immediately and could've been long term assets.

I think the writing is on the wall for our vets. The rebuild has begun. I see the Sedins starting to think about wanting a cup on their respective resume's. That's not going to happen here. The same goes for Hamhuis, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen and Bieksa, who already knows he's done here.

Like I said; I don't know what to make of this weekend or where this team is going next.

my thoughts exactly.....this past year, imo, should've been all about "tryouts". Let all vets redeem themselves.

Well they didn't, and what little they did....shouldn't be deemed good enough.

NOW the changes should be made.

-Higgins had an awful year

-Burrows mirrored his previous year

-Kassian fell out of favor with the coach, -Bieksa became Ferlands b**ch

-Matthias disappeared after the deadline...could've gotten us something at the deadline

-Hamhuis is a year away from UFA

-Prospects such as Jensen haven't progressed as he should

If we are crying for the re-build, it should've started last week.

single out Jensen yet ignore the majority of prospects that have improved this season

single out Jensen yet ignore the majority of prospects that have improved this season

I give accolades to Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Corrado, Horvat, Etc....

I singled out Jensen as an area of concern much like the rest I pointed out. I still hope that Jensen can pick it up in his last year of his ELC. Thus far he hasn't and that's what I was alluding too

I think we need to have a bad season next year--bottom 4 in the league. It will force Benning to commit to a rebuild and scrap this "re-tooling" BS. We don't want to get caught in the trap of spending to the cap every year and being a possible playoff team. 1) we need to be clearly out of the playoffs by deadline so that there is no apprehension to deal expiring contracts. 2) we need to get a top 5 draft pick (I don't care how good a GMs scouting abilities are top 5 draft picks are the way to go). 3) A bad season next year will force Benning to start trading all of our Vets before they decline and thus have a worse return.

Let's face it, we are not in a good spot for the foreseeable future. We need to outright acknowledge that and commit to 2-3 years of low-cap, poor performance, and high draft picks. That is the only way we are going to build a core capable of contending for the cup. To think that we can have it all and rebuild on the fly is simply foolish.

I hate that the term "rebuild" was ever brought up.

It's a new fad, if your team isn't 1st place and winning the cup every year, it's rebuild time.

Boston destroyed a team that was 2 seasons out of winning a presidents trophy and 4 years ago they won a cup, and yes trading Hamilton for those picks was one of the worst trades of modern hockey. Why trade Hamilton when you were trading Lucic anyways? To tank for a couple of maybe makes the NHL all because they missed the play-offs by 2 points.

The only teams that actually needed to rebuild were Arizona, Buffalo, and Toronto. Look at Calgary, sure they probably won't have another repeat of last season, but they did it right, through trades. Trading veterans for prospects, picks, and young players. Detroit has never rebuilt.

Chicago didn't rebuild after 2010-2012 they just made good trades, and developed prospects.

Edmonton is not going to magically become amazing, Calgary will regress, though I do think Edmonton will finally be in play-off contention.... How many years later? Toronto will be 5 years out of making the playoffs.

Buffalo did it right, they made the right trades and loaded up, they will be killer within 2 years, because they didn't just trade for picks, they traded for good young players that made the NHL, not a bunch of maybes. So stop whining saying we need to trade all these players for picks, when a majority of picks don't become NHLers let alone all stars.

There will be no rebuild. The Canucks will continue to ice competitive teams and fans wanting a rebuild should just give up. It's not going to happen. Ever.

You don't understand. It's a business. The Canucks goal is to make money. They will continue to do so here and in Utica while supplying their fans with an entertaining product. That means NOT rebuilding. Even though rebuilding might work for Chicago, or LA, or Pittsburgh, it will NEVER work here. It will never HAPPEN here. It's just something you'll have to get used to.

We should be proud that we have a franchise as committed to the entertainment of their fans, every season, here and in Utica, as ours is.

I don't know what to make of what's happening.

I see the picks as weak. There were better options available at almost every pick. I don't get it.

Benning is known for his scouting. He obviously sees things that we don't. This could, potentially, be the defining weekend of his tenure in Vancouver.

As I've said in another post; there was so much potential available in deals that could've helped immediately and could've been long term assets.

I think the writing is on the wall for our vets. The rebuild has begun. I see the Sedins starting to think about wanting a cup on their respective resume's. That's not going to happen here. The same goes for Hamhuis, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen and Bieksa, who already knows he's done here.

Like I said; I don't know what to make of this weekend or where this team is going next.

As debated by other posters, just because you didn't know the picks, I don't either, doesn't mean they are not good picks. You may think someone better is available but that is very subjective. Most of Benning's picks were praised by the media so he definitely deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

Second, what deals are you talking about. Yes Lack got a less than stellar return but you can only get what the market offers. As for Bieska, if there was a reasonable deal there JB would have made it. Chances are what was offered were crap. If he made the crap trade, most of the fan base would have his head. You think Lack was bad, oh you got to see what would happen if we trade Bieska for a fourth. There are ample of chances to get rid of vets and honestly most of them will be traded by tdl next season and if you know JB, this is probably his plan since he likes the 2016 draft so much.

Overall JB have until next off season to really turn it around with potentially a top 10 pick by how much better the pacific became. Until then, he deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Archived