The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What year do you guys think we will officially start the rebuild?

I think the fans can handle it but I don't the owners can handle a economic loss and this is a problem heading forward.

If fans can handle it wouldn't that mean Aquilini still gets the $$ even when we are in the bottom of the league? If so where is the economic loss for ownership? You are contradicting yourself here desiboy. B)

I for one am sick of us drafting players who's ceiling is 3rd line grinder in the fracking first round. If Benning is truly a great scout he should put his nut sack out there and draft that risky skill player who could bust or become our next franchise player not all these 3rd liners we could buy easliy with late picks fully developed. Frankly the only things he has done that I give props for is Sign Vrbatta and trade for lil baer.I have far less fairh in Benning than I had in MG which wasn't much. havnt had a GM with cohones since Burke or Quinn RIP. I would rather have a gm who would put it on the line to win instead of trying to be mediocre just to not fail.

I for one am sick of us drafting players who's ceiling is 3rd line grinder in the fracking first round. If Benning is truly a great scout he should put his nut sack out there and draft that risky skill player who could bust or become our next franchise player not all these 3rd liners we could buy easliy with late picks fully developed. Frankly the only things he has done that I give props for is Sign Vrbatta and trade for lil baer.I have far less fairh in Benning than I had in MG which wasn't much. havnt had a GM with cohones since Burke or Quinn RIP. I would rather have a gm who would put it on the line to win instead of trying to be mediocre just to not fail.

Last I checked Bo, Virtanen, and Boeser were projected top 6.

I'm not sure what you mean by "projected" but the only prospect with good 50/50 shot of being a top 6 forward is Horvat at this point. It is much more likely that Virtanen and Boeser will be bottom 6 or not make the NHL altogether than be in the top 6.

They're not trying to "fool" anybody. The organization has said they need to get younger. They've said they want to remain "competitive" while rebuilding. What they haven't mentioned is "contending" during this time. There's no rock and a hard they've been completely upfront with what they're doing. Anybody thinking they're trying to fool them is actually just fooling themselves.

Generally they are doing pretty much what they said they were going to. I think how fast and aggressive was up to some interpretation and clearly many fans are impatient for bigger changes sooner. But then, we as fans have no true insight as to what they are trying to do or how tough trades are to make in today's NHL. Easy enough to say get everyone to waive to trade the core, but are there really enough or any good trades to actually be had? Hard to say. Based on the few big trades we see these days, it's hard to imagine the Caucks pulling off too many impact ones all at once.

So many jaded and spoiled nux fans. I have watched this team for years and this new era we are about to embark on is more exciting than the last! Seriously I live in Australia now and still live, eat and breathe the navy blue! I would love to pay for a ticket and see Horvat evolve into the next leader before me, I would pay to witness the twins magic one more time before they leave and I want to be the loudest cheering clown in those stands again and show my beautiful Aussie wife a game.

Before I crap on Mr.Bennings blueprint I want to let him lay the foundation. As far as I'm concerned the rebuild started once Linden and Benning took the reigns. They say distance makes the heart grow fonder. Today I'm in Sydney but I'm a Vancouver boy, BORN AND BREAD A CANUCK!

he didn't pick Bo and Gaunce Jensen too and look how their doing 2 big boys who Don't want to play heavy because their spoiled. and neither are even worth a 2nd right now. Point is you don't hit home runs if you don't swing for the fences and If Benning is supposed to find diamonds in the rough why does he keep picking opals. Anyway you don't have to be an elite scout to make the picks Benning has made. Why waste a first on players who top out as players you could potentially trade for with a 2nd or 3rd fully developed. Baertschi is a perfect example of exactly what Benning has done right.

People here listen to the media and get outraged to find out that GMJB couldn't get the rumour trades happened. Have you guys thought that our players are maybe, i don't know, not valued to other GM's as highly as you think? Not all 29 other teams want our players. And if some do, clearly they don't value them highly, or else GMJB would have made the trades he wanted.

Everyone rages on about keeping Higgins, or Burrows, or Hansen, or Bieksa (actually GMJB is trying to trade KB3). But you can't just throw our prospects on the ice and expect them to keep the team competitive. You want them to grow in the AHL, and prove that they can take over the vets; in other words, transitioning them into the NHL.

A rebuild is a long term process and something that doesn't finish in one or two season; it's also not about tanking. GMJB spent a lot of time on scouting, but our experts here on CDC apparently know way better because they spent more time travelling and watching kids play. Right? But since we're not in full "rebuild" mode, people think the management ain't doing anything.

You think this fanbase would be able to handle a full on tank? The same fanbase that couldn't sellout playoff tickets? The same fanbase that once praised TL and JB as our saviours and quickly turn on them after one season?

he didn't pick Bo and Gaunce Jensen too and look how their doing 2 big boys who Don't want to play heavy because their spoiled. and neither are even worth a 2nd right now. Point is you don't hit home runs if you don't swing for the fences and If Benning is supposed to find diamonds in the rough why does he keep picking opals. Anyway you don't have to be an elite scout to make the picks Benning has made. Why waste a first on players who top out as players you could potentially trade for with a 2nd or 3rd fully developed. Baertschi is a perfect example of exactly what Benning has done right.

You said always so that encompasses all picks made by MG and JB. Be more specific next time or it will be open to interpretation.

As for making very high risk picks in the first round, that is just beyond foolish. You want your first rounder to be a for sure nhler. How would you feel if our first rounder kept on becoming busts. Instead of having good third liners or serviceable second or even first liners, we have, well nothing. Because of the high risk factor, these players are often available in the later rounds and that is where JB comes in. It doesn't take a genius to draft a good prospect in the first round. Following ISS list will usually produce a decent pick, well unless you are Sweeney, but to find gems in the later rounds is why we hired JB. These later round gems will often not be projected very high by scouting services since these scouting report tends to be conservative for obvious reasons. For that matter, many players who turns out to be top 6 were projected by most scouting services as top 6 players. It is always safer for them at a credibility standpoint to project more conservatively.

I have no idea where Gaunce and Jensen come into this conversation or that have anything to do with JB but ok.

Of course we all like the Baertchi deal since we know what we are getting in a way more developed prospect. At the draft, you can't always draft these kind of players since no one can accurately project 17 and 18 year old prospects.

I'm not sure what you mean by "projected" but the only prospect with good 50/50 shot of being a top 6 forward is Horvat at this point. It is much more likely that Virtanen and Boeser will be bottom 6 or not make the NHL altogether than be in the top 6.

That could be said for every prospect not in the top five or even top three so it is pretty much a null point.

Archived