The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reality of the situation - we're a bottom feeder

TheRussianRocket.

Time to sit back and relax people. We're arguably the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the Western Conference and it's the changing of the guard. Let's hope some of our prospects make the team, show us promise, and don't give us the same old boring play we've seen the last few years. Put into perspective, all these teams are better than us in the west: Ducks, Blues, Hawks, Preds, Wild, Jets, Flames, Kings, Stars, Avs, Sharks. That leaves us in the back seat alongside Edmonton and Arizona. Arizona will probably be the worst team. Edmonton is still bad but they're on the incline with McDavid and Chiarelli and most likely will be just as good as us next season standings wise.

...even if we somehow magically manage to make the playoffs like we did this year, we won't win. Can't beat any of those teams in a 7 game series and our defense is far too weak, especially with when Bieksa will be dealt. Best hope we have is to bring up our top youth ASAP and get them into the pro game before we totally begin to stink when the Sedins leave sooner than later. It's clear we won't be able to compete but this is a good thing. Acknowledging we're on the downfall is the evolution of the game and we're bound to rise sometime down the road when our next generation players make it.

Expect this year and the next and the next to be a bunch of transition years as we integrate our prospects on to the roster. JB has an eye for drafting talent so it's a good thing he'll be here along the way. This draft was a pretty solid draft and most of the picks backed up by advanced stats are supportive of the probability we landed some NHL talent. Bieksa will be dealt for picks/prospects and soon to food should be Higgins/Hamhuis/Vrbata/etc. Retaining assets will be crucial from this point on and it's what all top teams do. Sedins are the only ones above this but other than that, emotional connect should be disregarded. We're essentially the Flames of 4-5 years ago and it's not the best spot to be in. Let's hope like Calgary, we get a few of our prospects that transition into the NHL smoothly and become impact players. One thing that's nice is we're in a better position prospect talent wise than Calgary was 4-5 years ago so that's definitely a positive.

Time to soak in the reality folks. We're transitioning into the next generation of the Vancouver Canucks. It's a good thing so cheer up :)

Arizona, Colorado, San Jose, Winnipeg, and probably Dallas are still worse. None of those teams did anything in the last 2 days to improve immediately either.

I agree with this. But I will repeat what I said about the Canucks last year. We'll be competitive but we will miss the playoffs.

I agree with this. But I will repeat what I said about the Canucks last year. We'll be competitive but we will miss the playoffs.

Maybe...but the UFA crop in 2016 looks a lot better than 2015. Maybe the Canucks bring Seabrook home or throw some cash at Backes or Lucic.

Wow people are sure depressed around here. Be happy that Lack was the only slightly off kilter trade that went down for us. Having not made a huge splash at the draft will give us some flexibility to get an even bigger return from some of our vet at the trade deadline.

I disagree we are the bottom 2 or 3 in the West. We are in a group that will be fighting for the last Playoff spot, but it's way too early to count us out. I totally agree the next 2 seasons will be transition years and that's OK, I just don't agree we are destined to bottom feed while doing it. We still have decent players, old and young,and we could be the ones playing above our potential like Calgary did last season. I expect Calgary will not be able to repeat the same level of success this year, I expect the Avs to make some improvement but not a lot, I expect Arizona or Minny will be the Conference whipping boys, Minny being choked into submission by 2 foolish contracts and not enough top end talent. Edmonton will be better, perhaps by a lot. I believe San Jose and Dallas will also finish below us.

I think I have some serious optimism and I think you summed it up with...

Time to soak in the reality folks. We're transitioning into the next generation of the Vancouver Canucks. It's a good thing so cheer up :)

Higgins. Burrows. Miller. Vrbata. Sedins. Bieksa, Hamhuis.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Burrows/(Centre)/Higgins.

Bieksa/Hamhuis

Miller.

We really need to get younger. We are a team that relies on these guys to get er done. These guys are old, aging, and are not going to get better. Those teams you have mentioned above are teams that have young guys on their top 6 and their top d. We're going to have to wait for a long time cause honestly, we might make the playoffs, but we will probably not win or go as far as the first round.

I'm not entirely bummed over the draft. Boeser is a great player and I laugh at those saying he is a crappy player and will take long to develop. What I'm bummed is that we weren't able to get what we could have gotten for Lack. Look at how much those other goalies on the market were worth.

If we want to compete, we as fans need to be patient and accept the fact that this team is nowhere near playoff worthy. Every team that we are chasing as gotten that much better while we are here continuing this long and painful "retool". The only thing we can hope for is that our prospects are ready to take the next step. There are huge question marks with this team such as Kassian who's getting older as years go by and not getting that much better by looks of things. And injury is definitely not helping his case. We got guys like Baertschi who should play with quality linemates to have the best results. The rest are huge question marks keeping in mind of Kenins and his condition.

I agree with the OP. Our chances of making the playoffs are slim and after this Draft, I'm not so optimistic as everyone else.

I, for one, am happy. We got a solid power forward prospect in Brock Boeser if he pans out as projected. Guillaume Brisebois looks to be OK..."has a cool head on his shoulders and not prone to defensive mistakes..." Most comment on his hockey sense.

As far as contending for the play-offs. I doubt that it will happen this year, but that just forces us farther up the draft pick and we might get a better pick in 2016. But as anything. Draft picks are a crap-shoot. It's whether the Nucks player development staff can get through to the players in their system to get them to the next level.

Let's just say...things won't be boring in Canucksville. :D Looking forward to it. But then again, I've been a 'Nuck fan since the early days (the 70s) so I'm not whining like the ones who have only known the winning years. I'm actually looking forward to seeing some good drafting for a change.

I want to see this team finish low in the standings for a few seasons, bulk up on some youth and make a push for the playoffs once again. Say a 2 or 3 year rebuild, we've already got several decent prospects so no need for to pull a Edmonton/Calgary.

I still think we will finish just outside the playoffs, around 18th-23rd overall or maybe even make the playoffs again and be out in the 1st or 2nd round. Sort of like Calgary a few years ago, veteran leadership and experience leading to mediocre finishes in the standings.

We could have saved ourselves a lot of trouble by starting this in the 12-13 season. When it was blatantly obvious we were on the downswing. But now we're the friend zoned ones in the North West love triangle. Not bad enough to break out of it and not good enough to be the top gun.

We aren't going to be bottom feeders. We are going to be an annual bubble team under Bennings reign. The only thing that will vault us out of that stagnant position is if he actually is as good as he thinks he is at drafting.

He'd better be one hell of a &^@#ing scout.

I, for one, am happy. We got a solid power forward prospect in Brock Boeser if he pans out as projected. Guillaume Brisebois looks to be OK..."has a cool head on his shoulders and not prone to defensive mistakes..." Most comment on his hockey sense.

As far as contending for the play-offs. I doubt that it will happen this year, but that just forces us farther up the draft pick and we might get a better pick in 2016. But as anything. Draft picks are a crap-shoot. It's whether the Nucks player development staff can get through to the players in their system to get them to the next level.

Let's just say...things won't be boring in Canucksville. :D Looking forward to it. But then again, I've been a 'Nuck fan since the early days (the 70s) so I'm not whining like the ones who have only known the winning years. I'm actually looking forward to seeing some good drafting for a change.

Yes, unfortunately a lot of younger fans just don't know how abysmal some of the early Canuck teams were.

speak for yourself...benning is still in the progress of making changes here...they are not going for a complete rebuild, nor should they....within 3 years our core will look way different....but we should remain competitive.....i'm glad they are going that way...i see in 2 years, virtanen will move higgins out; maybe grenier can move kassian out...can someone replace vrbata, the sedans, burrows hamhuis and edler?...markstrom should be ready in 2 years to move miller out...

people say they are prepared to suck for 5 years to build the team but not to struggle for 3 years to transform this team...benning was hired to build this team into cup contenders...which ever way they go, it's going to take time...opinions are opinions but benning was put in charge of building this team...i'm on board.

I dont know... i think the Canucks could have a better team next season that they did last season.

Sedins, Vrbata, Bonino, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Dorsett, Edler, Tanev, hamhuis, Miller- status quo

Horvat, Kassian, Kennins, - trending upwards

Baertschi, Markstrom, Gaunce, Grenier, Corrado, Clendenning - unknown

I mean, sure the Flames and Oilers futures look brighter at this point in time, but you just never really know what the future holds.

Id bet that the Canucks will be in the playoff mix right until the end.

Archived