The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How does our top propects rank after the draft?

hatedkid666

After acquiring a few good players in this year draft, I was wondering what the thought of the people of CDC is regarding our top prospects and where they rank.

IMO:

1.Virtanen

2. Baertschi

3. Demko

4. Cassels

5. McCann

6. Shinkaruk

7.Subban

8. Boeser

9. Gaunce

10. Grenier

After acquiring a few good players in this year draft, I was wondering what the thought of the people of CDC is regarding our top prospects and where they rank.

IMO:

1.Virtanen

2. Baertschi

3. Demko

4. Cassels

5. Cassels

6. McCann

7. Shinkaruk

8.Subban

9. Boeser

10. Gaunce

Cassels is so good, he's 4 AND 5? :P

I won't consider Baertschi a prospect, because he's either on the roster or gone next season. And just the forwards, because I can't remember all the D right now.

1. Virtanen

2. Shinkaruk

3. Boeser

4. McCann

5. Cassels

6. Gaunce

Cassels must be a really good player... you have him twice :bigblush:

Virtanen

Baertschi

Cassels

Boeser

McCann

Demko

Corrado

Clendening

Shinkaruk

Hutton

Gaunce

Grenier

Subban

More or less what I actually meant to post, altho I would put mccann boeser and demko just ahead of cole

Funny how the newest and shiniest first rounder shoots up the prospect list even though he is 1-3 years behind everyone on the development cycle.

For my money, the top prospects (defined as non-Canuck roster players with a shot at making the big club) look like:

1-Sven Baertschi; 2-Frank Corrado; 3-Adam Clendening; 4-Brendan Gaunce; 5-Jake Virtanen; 6-Alex Grenier; 7-Cole Cassels; 8-Andrey Pedan; 9-Hunter Shinkaruk; 10-Niklas Jensen; 11-Jared McCann; 12-Ben Hutton; 13-Jordan Subban; 14-Thatcher Demko; 15-Brock Boeser; 16-Nikita Tryamkin; 17-Guillame Brisebois

That's a pretty deep prospect pool. I'd put this in the top 1/3 of the league.

Funny how the newest and shiniest first rounder shoots up the prospect list even though he is 1-3 years behind everyone on the development cycle.

For my money, the top prospects (defined as non-Canuck roster players with a shot at making the big club) look like:

1-Sven Baertschi; 2-Frank Corrado; 3-Adam Clendening; 4-Brendan Gaunce; 5-Jake Virtanen; 6-Alex Grenier; 7-Cole Cassels; 8-Andrey Pedan; 9-Hunter Shinkaruk; 10-Niklas Jensen; 11-Jared McCann; 12-Ben Hutton; 13-Jordan Subban; 14-Thatcher Demko; 15-Brock Boeser; 16-Nikita Tryamkin; 17-Guillame Brisebois

That's a pretty deep prospect pool. I'd put this in the top 1/3 of the league.

To be fair, prospect rankings are usually meant to express who people think have the best NHL potential and not just who is the most NHL-ready at the time the list is made.

Just as an example, there aren't a lot of people who would say Grenier will project to be better than McCann. He might play in the NHL sooner, but I wouldn't call him a better prospect. Almost everyone in this thread has Cassels in their top 5. I'd say he's getting his fair share of respect.

As for the pool overall, I'd put it in the mid-teens. Not outstanding, but good depth at forward and in goal.

IMO:

1.Virtanen

2. Baertschi

3. Demko

4. Cassels

5. McCann

6. Shinkaruk

7.Subban

8. Boeser

9. Gaunce

10. Grenier

Drafted players by the Canucks (minus Horvat) under 24, rankings based on upside.

1: Shinkaruk

2: Virtanen

3: McCann

4: Demko

5: Cassels

6: Boeser

7: Gaunce

8: Grenier

9: Corrado

10: Jasek (he may be a huge steal)

Honourable mentions

Ben Hutton

Jordan Subban

Still missing a top end defensive prospect. nothing was really available at 23, thats why i was happy with Boeser instead of a defenceman

You guys think this is a top 10 prospect pool in the league? Top 5 even?

Probably not.

Buffalo

Edmonton

Columbus - Wennberg, Dano, Milano, Bjorkstrand, Rychel, Karlsson, Heatherington, Werenski, Carlsson, Bittner, Vainio

Islanders - Reinhart, Puloch, Pelech, Dal Colle, HoSang, Barzal, Beauvillier, Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon, Pilon

Arizona - Domi, Duclair, Gormley, Samuelsson, Perlini, Dvorak, Visentin, Strome, Merkley, Fischer

At the very least are better. Then you have teams like:

Winnipeg - Petan, Morrissey, Comrie, Armia, Ehlers, Lemieux, Connor, Harkins, Roslovic

Calgary - Bennett, Poirier, Smith, Klimchuk, Andersson, Kylington

Pittsburgh - Pouliot, Dumoulin, Harrington, Kapanen, Sprong

Who likely have more top end talent than our prospect pool. And these are the just the more obvious ones, there are other teams with a better pool than us too. We do however, have Top 15, probably. After the 2016 draft we'll probably move up, since it's likely we'll be moving players for picks + we're likely to finish a lot lower than we did this year.

Edit: To address the OP:

1. Virtanen

2. Cassels

3. Corrado

4. Clendening

5. McCann

6. Shinkaruk

7. Gaunce

8. Demko

9. Jensen

10. Grenier

11. Boeser

12. Pedan

13. Hutton

14. Tryamkin

15. Subban

16. Brisebois

17. Jasek

Tried to account for both potential and NHL-readiness. Guys near bottom of list aren't necessarily worse than those above them, but they may be still a while away/bigger chance of failure. i.e. if all goes well Jasek and Subban could be rated much higher, but they're both projects. Didn't include Baertschi.

Archived