The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How does Ron Delorme keep his job through all the regimes

gradin123

The Canucks draft record over the past 15 years since Ron Delorme was named Chief Amateur Scout has been spotty to say the least.

Yet, through all the regime changes at GM somehow Delorme and most of the other scouts have kept their jobs throughout. I really don't get why. You see Peter Chiarelli go into Edmonton and the first thing he does is fire most of the scouts.

It seems like the Canucks are afraid to make true fundamental changes to their organization. Yes they will change their president, head coach and GM but all the people behind the scenes remain the same.

The last time the Canucks made big changes to their scouting staff Brian Burke was still GM.

The Canucks draft record over the past 15 years since Ron Delorme was named Chief Amateur Scout has been spotty to say the least.

Yet, through all the regime changes at GM somehow Delorme and most of the other scouts have kept their jobs throughout. I really don't get why. You see Peter Chiarelli go into Edmonton and the first thing he does is fire most of the scouts.

It seems like the Canucks are afraid to make true fundamental changes to their organization. Yes they will change their president, head coach and GM but all the people behind the scenes remain the same.

The last time the Canucks made big changes to their scouting staff Brian Burke was still GM.

so true..this guy has actually been horrendous,,how he has survived is beyond me..the last 2 drafts have probably gone to Benning so why not get rid of him.

This contradicts itself.

as I recall, during the Gillis Era, we too have fired some scouts and replaced etc etc, we just didn't make it news, for personal reasons and reasons not to embarrass the scout. So some progress was done during the Gillis era, but Delorme still remains is still really beyond me. The Nathan Smith,trade was already huge question mark and that was 15 years ago. Mike Penny held that position prior to delorme, he was good, but he left because he didn't like working Under Brian Burke.

anyways lets see how it turns out. Jim Benning is in control right now.

This contradicts itself.

Well it seems like all the GM's the Canucks have had since Burke are afraid to make big changes. Nonis was Burke's right hand man. Gillis was a agent and Bennett more a scout. They haven't had a bold GM who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty since Burke.

benning now oversees the draft picks ...delorme is just one scout and doesn't have the last say anymore...what has been wrong with our draft picks, the last 2 years...?

Actually and pay attention

Delormes track record for Canucks picks is better talent for talent with an average lower pick than Bennings was with better or higher picks.

Check it out

Libor Polasek...Alex Stoyanov (gets a pass,,brought us Nazzy)..Patrick White...Dan Woodley...Jason Herter...Brad Ference...Nathan Smith...Kiril Koltsov...Jordon Schroeder say hello.

With first round picks like that no wonder we are still floundering in a sea of futility.

as I recall, during the Gillis Era, we too have fired some scouts and replaced etc etc, we just didn't make it news, for personal reasons and reasons not to embarrass the scout. So some progress was done during the Gillis era, but Delorme still remains is still really beyond me. The Nathan Smith,trade was already huge question mark and that was 15 years ago. Mike Penny held that position prior to delorme, he was good, but he left because he didn't like working Under Brian Burke.

anyways lets see how it turns out. Jim Benning is in control right now.

So, were things different in their relationship while Burke was GM in Toronto?

regards,

G.

Libor Polasek...Alex Stoyanov (gets a pass,,brought us Nazzy)..Patrick White...Dan Woodley...Jason Herter...Brad Ference...Nathan Smith...Kiril Koltsov...Jordon Schroeder say hello.

With first round picks like that no wonder we are still floundering in a sea of futility.

Shaky go look at Bennings record over the last fifteen years.

It's actually worse with higher picks

The GM is the boss, always has been. Good drafting starts at the top. Benning has given good direction and leadership and he's happy with the job the scouting staff has done. If you listen to Benning, he gets his whole staff involved. He wants input from everybody. That's not a sign of weakness, that is the sign of a manager who gets the most from his staff; he gets them engaged. He should also hold them accountable for their performance.

Benning has said that he is looking for players with:

• good hockey sense (IQ)
  • character
  • hard to play against
  • fast, physical, skill

This sounds like the guy's he's drafting to me. It sounds like the scouting staff are getting it.

Just some fun facts:

Polasek - 21st pick, nobody of substance until the Canucks picked Peca in the 2nd round (yes, I see Pavel's brother). Not a bad save in that instance.

They drafted Herter, but they also got Bure. And for those who have reasons why the team/scouting staff don't deserve credit for this pick, could you explain why Detroit picking Datsyuk in the later rounds was a genius move on their part?

regards,

G.

Archived