The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andong Song becomes 1st Chinese player taken in NHL draft

Jaimito

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/andong-song-becomes-1st-chinese-player-taken-in-nhl-draft/ar-AAcepLB?srcref=rss

Not the first east Asian player, but the first born outside of N America.

I'm sure islander owner had something to do with it. But the story is cool. Where else do you send ur kids to go learn hockey? Canada.

This is good for hockey, get more popular globally. China is a huge market, NHL can sell all kinds of stuff. TV rights to merchandise. Not too long ago, Canucks had trainers there for a kids hockey camp.

If China gets the winter olympics they will get even more kids playing, since host team automatically qualifies. Big audience may influence NHL to send their players...one can only hope.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/andong-song-becomes-1st-chinese-player-taken-in-nhl-draft/ar-AAcepLB?srcref=rss

Not the first east Asian player, but the first born outside of N America.

I'm sure islander owner had something to do with it. But the story is cool. Where else do you send ur kids to go learn hockey? Canada.

This is good for hockey, get more popular globally. China is a huge market, NHL can sell all kinds of stuff. TV rights to merchandise. Not too long ago, Canucks had trainers there for a kids hockey camp.

If China gets the winter olympics they will get even more kids playing, since host team automatically qualifies. Big audience may influence NHL to send their players...one can only hope.

Charles Wang isn't the owner anymore.

Also, this guy moved to Oakville Ontario when he's 10. He was born in China, but he's probably more Canadian/American than some people would think.

Also, this guy moved to Oakville Ontario when he's 10. He was born in China, but he's probably more Canadian/American than some people would think.

that was the whole point. race has nothing to do with it. The environment is what counts.

Wang is still the majority owner. He sold the minority share which will transition in majority over two yrs.

Zach Yuen, a CBC from Vancouver was drafted by Winnipeg in 2011 in the 4th round.... just sayin.

Next year there is Cliff Pu, and Jonathan Ang in the 2016 draft. Both CBC's. In before more racial jokes coming in, which ever fanbase gets their team drafting them.

But he was born in Vancouver. Song was born in China.

Zach Yuen, a CBC from Vancouver was drafted by Winnipeg in 2011 in the 4th round.... just sayin.

Next year there is Cliff Pu, and Jonathan Ang in the 2016 draft. Both CBC's. In before more racial jokes coming in, which ever fanbase gets their team drafting them.

Zach Yuen made a really bad decision not to sign with Winnipeg and go back into the re-draft. At least he's in the Leafs' system now...

The 18-year-old Andong, who plays on one of China's national teams, plans to attend Philips Andover Academy in Massachusetts this coming school year as a postgraduate student.

Whaaaat? A child prodigy AND a hockey player? That's just craziness.

Edit: Nevermind, Philips Andover Academy call their college students "post graduate"

Or it's joke...

Looks like we are still living in the over sensitive society of today..sigh..

Yeah as a person with chinese ancestry myself I found Kazmanian Devil's funny and up voted it. Sometimes it's good to make fun of ourselves once in awhile :)

WE MADE IT!

Paul Kariya, Steve Kariya, Jim Paek, Richard Park, Devin Setoguchi, Yutaka Fukufuji, Brandon Yip, Dave Tanabe, Jamie Storr, Peter Ing, Matthew Dumba...guys of Asian descent or Asian/white combo that have made it to the show. There's probably more, but I can't think of any at this time.

Less and less of the developed world is laughing at "lolol stereotype" jokes. Catch up.

I dunno that sounds inaccurate. A lot of current day comedy still includes stereotypes. It usually only comes off as funny or offensive based on who is saying it and how they say it (something hard to gauge on a message board).

But for example with Asians specifically JustKiddingFilms/News is a popular comedy based YouTube channel mainly Asian casted and the vast majority of their skits are literally just making fun of Asian stereotypes most people aren't offended though and Asians are prob the biggest demographic of their fan base. This is still a common thing in comedy and many people enjoy it.

Not everyone needs to be a fan of this obviously but a lot of people in society have become hyper sensitive to things that are overall harmless without ill intent. Personally I think it was kind of an overreaction to what was a harmless kinda funny joke nor do I think anyone should feel bad and feel the need to follow your particular taste in comedy.

I dunno that sounds inaccurate. A lot of current day comedy still includes stereotypes. It usually only comes off as funny or offensive based on who is saying it and how they say it (something hard to gauge on a message board).

But for example with Asians specifically JustKiddingFilms/News is a popular comedy based YouTube channel mainly Asian casted and the vast majority of their skits are literally just making fun of Asian stereotypes most people aren't offended though and Asians are prob the biggest demographic of their fan base. This is still a common thing in comedy and many people enjoy it.

Not everyone needs to be a fan of this obviously but a lot of people in society have become hyper sensitive to things that are overall harmless without ill intent. Personally I think it was kind of an overreaction to what was a harmless kinda funny joke nor do I think anyone should feel bad and feel the need to follow your particular taste in comedy.

You're not going to get a multiparagraph response from me. Other users and (most importantly) the mods did not think a thread about the first Chinese-born player to be drafted was an appropriate place to spam Asian stereotypes.

Paul Kariya, Steve Kariya, Jim Paek, Richard Park, Devin Setoguchi, Yutaka Fukufuji, Brandon Yip, Dave Tanabe, Jamie Storr, Peter Ing, Matthew Dumba...guys of Asian descent or Asian/white combo that have made it to the show. There's probably more, but I can't think of any at this time.

Taro Tsujimoto

Taro Tsujimoto

One thing you can say about Taro Tsujimoto: He’s no Stefan Nilsson.

No, the Buffalo Sabres’ 11th-round pick from the 1974 entry draft has never been accused of being two people at once. That’s because he was zero people. He didn’t exist.

That minor detail didn’t stop notoriously crusty Sabres GM Punch Imlach from drafting him with the 183rd overall pick. But this was no Bridgman-level screw up. Imlach simply got bored with a draft that seemed like it might never end (the rules allowed the picks to continue until all teams had passed), and he decided to have a little fun.

Imlach announced the pick, and it was dutifully recorded in the official record book. Tsujimoto also appeared in the league’s various media guides that year. Reporters from around the league, intrigued with the idea of a Japanese import having a chance at a roster spot, were reassured by Imlach that Tsujimoto would be arriving soon.

Imlach let the joke carry on for months before finally revealing the deception before training camp. The pick has since been stricken from the official record, but the legend of Taro Tsujimoto lives on. He even has his own hockey card.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/great-debacles-in-nhl-history/

Archived